PDA

View Full Version : Downey plays role of Posnanski

MarqSox
08-31-2003, 01:53 AM
I'm really not a fan of Mike Downey. Dude wrote a column today where he actually insists he will be positive no matter what the Cubs and Sox do from here on out. This was covered here a few days ago when that awful KC Star writer Posnanski was criticized for being too "rah-rah" and not enough realistic.

But what got me most about Downey's column is his criticism of Flub fans for booing Shawn Estes and Antonio Alfonseca. He also refuses to knock Manuel for the White Flag Rotation.
You will not hear me jeer here today, the way Wrigley Field's fans hooted at a couple of their own players Saturday.

And you won't catch me second-guessing any White Sox pitching decisions, either, the way certain others have been doing recently.

Because in my new superhero identity as Mr. Positive, I choose to see each of our pitching staffs as four-fifths full, not one-fifth empty.

He also rattled off this gem, which offends me because of the whole "Don't boo Buehrle" controversy from back earlier in the year:
A team this close to first place ought not need to endure being booed in its home park, yet Cubs starting pitcher Shawn Estes and reliever Antonio Alfonseca each got an earful in Saturday's 9-5 loss to Milwaukee.
So wait, Flub fans actually have a semi-intelligent reaction to pathetic play and they get mocked for it by this pathetic excuse for a columnist? And he won't second guess Manuel for a ridiculous move just because it's September so we have to be overly giddy and happy?

In a way, it's refreshing to see a Chicago columnist not ride the wave of constant pessimism, but hell, at least make some intelligent points while doing it instead of being all "golly gee whiz" about it. :angry:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-030830downey,1,7968001.column?coll=cs-home-utility

tacosalbarojas
08-31-2003, 08:34 PM
I had high hopes for Downey when he replaced that other dude who occupied that spot for like four days (Michael Holley). Alas, Downey has been pretty milquetoast. Pretty sad when you'd rather hear what the guy who covers City Hall (John Kass) thinks about the latest Manuel controversey than what the sports columnist thinks about it. But that's the Trib for you - the same rag that INSISTED on putting KC above us in the standings because they had a miniscule percentage point advantage...you'll note the Times had the SOX at the top. It's minor crap like this that infuriates me....okay, now I feel much better.

Unregistered
08-31-2003, 08:49 PM
I think it was Lip who first said what a "die-hard" sox fan Mike Downey was, but I find that hard to believe considering the fact that he pertty much ONLY writes commentary about the Cubs - unless he decides to split up one of his columns and briefly mention the Sox. Even in those cases, it's always about 70% Cub. He's a loyal Trib servant, no surprise there.

TornLabrum
08-31-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by tacosalbarojas
I had high hopes for Downey when he replaced that other dude who occupied that spot for like four days (Michael Holley). Alas, Downey has been pretty milquetoast. Pretty sad when you'd rather hear what the guy who covers City Hall (John Kass) thinks about the latest Manuel controversey than what the sports columnist thinks about it. But that's the Trib for you - the same rag that INSISTED on putting KC above us in the standings because they had a miniscule percentage point advantage...you'll note the Times had the SOX at the top. It's minor crap like this that infuriates me....okay, now I feel much better.

I'm not going to fault the Cubune for putting the rightful leader on top. Championships are decided on percentage points, not on games behind. (See Chicago Whales, 1915, who won the Federal League championship by one percentage point.)

tacosalbarojas
08-31-2003, 10:02 PM
Of course, that's true, but it's needless to put that in there at this point since the season doesn't end today, and if it did the Royals would have to play those two games to give them enough games to even out that percentage point difference (unlike the Federal League, these teams all will play the same amount of games). My point ultimately - it's just another opportunity the Trib takes to needle the SOX. The other papers didn't have it that way. Why? Because it didn't matter.

TornLabrum
08-31-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by tacosalbarojas
Of course, that's true, but it's needless to put that in there at this point since the season doesn't end today, and if it did the Royals would have to play those two games to give them enough games to even out that percentage point difference. My point ultimately - it's just another opportunity the Trib takes to needle the SOX. The other papers didn't have it that way. Why? Because it didn't matter.

It all depends on whether you want accuracy in your reporting or not. I prefer accuracy.

Dan H
09-01-2003, 07:37 AM
A writer is supposed to be objective. Criticizing something is not being negative and praising something doesn't make that person a homer. This is a stupid column from a guy who just hasn't contributed much since his return to Chicago. The media has again earned its right to be under-estimated.