PDA

View Full Version : If Frank has a Sept like Giambi in 00...

Bisco Stu
08-30-2003, 07:53 PM
...and the Sox win the division, could he be MVP?

Has to get that RBI total up. At least people have been getting on base in front of him the 2nd half.

RKMeibalane
08-30-2003, 08:03 PM
He deserves to be considered for the award, given what his bat has meant in terms of the success of the White Sox. However, his batting average is mediocre (by MVP standards), and another MVP candidate (Maggs) plays on his team. They will cancel each other out in votes.

faneidde
08-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
He deserves to be considered for the award, given what his bat has meant in terms of the success of the White Sox. However, his batting average is mediocre (by MVP standards), and another MVP candidate (Maggs) plays on his team. They will cancel each other out in votes.
No disrespect to Mags, but Frank is the MVP of this team, and its not even really that close.

duke of dorwood
08-30-2003, 08:11 PM
While they are cancelling each other out, I wonder who will get more of the split vote?

RKMeibalane
08-30-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
No disrespect to Mags, but Frank is the MVP of this team, and its not even really that close.

I know that, but the writers who vote for the award will give both guys a fair amount of consideration. Therefore, it will be difficult for one to get enough votes to actually win the award.

Dadawg_77
08-30-2003, 09:55 PM
MVP voters can vote for five players. Thus you could see some writers with Frank and Mags on their ballots.

FJA
09-01-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
...and the Sox win the division, could he be MVP?

Has to get that RBI total up. At least people have been getting on base in front of him the 2nd half.

If the Sox win the division and Frank has a '00 Giambi-like Sept., he could absolutely be MVP. Don't think September more or less decides MVP? Two words for you:

Miguel Tejada ('02)

Dadawg_77
09-01-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by FJA
If the Sox win the division and Frank has a '00 Giambi-like Sept., he could absolutely be MVP. Don't think September more or less decides MVP? Two words for you:

Miguel Tejada ('02)

You could also add Giambi 00 to that list.

jabrch
09-01-2003, 06:52 PM
He won't have an average over .300. He doesn't play 1B. I can't see selecting him over A-Rod.... A-Rods numbers are mindboggling...and he is a gold glove SS. .304, 40, 100, 107 and 16 SBs, .400 OBP and .608 slugging for a 1.006 OPS. I am not a stathead, but his numbers are crazy-good. He is clearly the MVP this year.

voodoochile
09-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
He won't have an average over .300. He doesn't play 1B. I can't see selecting him over A-Rod.... A-Rods numbers are mindboggling...and he is a gold glove SS. .304, 40, 100, 107 and 16 SBs, .400 OBP and .608 slugging for a 1.006 OPS. I am not a stathead, but his numbers are crazy-good. He is clearly the MVP this year.

That depends on if you think great numbers are enough to warrant MVP consideration. It will come down to he writers as usual, but for me an MVP shouldn't come from a last place team. It should be someone who helped their team at least make a run at the playoffs if not actually getting there.

WinningUgly!
09-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

A-Rod's numbers are insane, but look where the Rangers are...last place. Where would the Rangers be without A-Rod? Exactly where they are. Where would the Sox be without Frank? Probably battling the Indians for 3rd place, way back of the Twins & Royals.