PDA

View Full Version : Zero Confidence

Viva Magglio
08-29-2003, 11:37 PM
I have no confidence in this Manuel. I think he is partially to blame for the loss tonight. Look, Buehrle pitched like complete crap. Now I am not defending the future Cardinal for failing to be a professional and stepping up tonight. However, I am convinced that Buehrle owes at least a part of his crappy performance to the after effects of Manuel's boner from yesterday.

:firejerry

Acid
08-30-2003, 12:17 AM
Jerry's decision to start Cotts looked bad last night and looks ever worse tonight. I am very excied about this team but I feel our manager holds us back. I love baseball but have no experence manageing a team but even I have seen mistake after mistake by Jerry. How many wins have we been cheated beacuse of bad moves this year? I have always believed that a great manager loses 1-2 games for your team a year, Good manager 3-8, a average manager 9-15, a bad a manager 16-25. Where does Jery fall?

SouthBendSox
08-30-2003, 12:21 AM
true

Kilroy
08-30-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Acid
Jerry's decision to start Cotts looked bad last night and looks ever worse tonight.

How? The supposedly better pitcher got beaten worse by the worst team in the league. What says he would have had a better showing against a far better team?

inta
08-30-2003, 12:33 AM
no confidence is right. manuel has created a circus of madness out of what started to be a magnificent road trip.

he better watch out when he comes back to chicago. esp with those games being "reduced price".

Dan H
08-30-2003, 06:19 AM
Manuel is partly at fault, but the plain fact is Buerhle is still under .500 as we head into September. The guy just doesn't look like he did the in 2001 and 02. Regarldless of Manuel, Buerhle has to step and act like an ace. Without him, winning even this week division is going to be hard.

gosox41
08-30-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I have no confidence in this Manuel. I think he is partially to blame for the loss tonight. Look, Buehrle pitched like complete crap. Now I am not defending the future Cardinal for failing to be a professional and stepping up tonight. However, I am convinced that Buehrle owes at least a part of his crappy performance to the after effects of Manuel's boner from yesterday.

:firejerry

I agree with JM's decision to rest Buehrle an extra day only because Buehrle himself came out after his last start and said he was having a hard time getting his shoulde loose. An extra day off might help.

Of course, if JM were fired for this move I definitely won't complain because he's done more then enough stupid things the last 3 seasons to want to see him shipped out ASAP.

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
08-30-2003, 08:19 AM
Look folks, nobody is anymore frustrated with Jerry Manuel than me. However, please be careful about reaching too far with your hyperbolic statements.

Posts here are subject to editing, especially when they involve misdemeanor and felony activity. Okay?

:cool:

Clarkdog
08-30-2003, 09:45 AM
As it relates to the recent Manuel debacle - I understand why he made the decision to start Cotts in order to give Buehrle the extra day's rest.

I don't believe he handled the situation all that well by waiting until Wednesday night to make the decision. If Cotts is penciled to start - then he should start. If it's Buehrle, it's Buehrle. Don't leave the guys hanging - we're in a pennant race - show some leadership. I think PHG has been dead on as to how poorly the situation was handled.

If the division is lost, it will not be these two games that define it. It will bee the sweep by the Royals, the 3-7 road trip against TB, Detroit, and Cleveland and the 1-6 road trip against Anaheim and Texas. But how the Buehrle/Cotts situation was handled will likely cost Manuel his job.

This situation has been a case study in Manuel's poor understanding of how to demonstrate leadership to this team. I have contended that Manuel has never been the right guy for that reason - he is not a clubhouse leader, he inspires no confidence and demonstartes no ability to motivate his players.

The Sox recent success at home was not due to Manuel. If anything it was brought about by the swagger that Frank Thomas has displayed since his decision to simply hit for power and backing it up with performance. That is inspiring leadership.

Who was Thomas' first critic? Manuel.
Not very inspiring to others when you can't get behind a player. They won and will continue to win in spite of him.