PDA

View Full Version : Postgame soundbyte of Manuel...

Viva Magglio
08-30-2003, 12:30 AM
...suggests that those criticizing him for the Cotts-Buehrle debacle don't understand baseball. I don't have the exact quote, but it was played on the Score tonight.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-30-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
...suggests that those criticizing him for the Cotts-Buehrle debacle don't understand baseball. I don't have the exact quote, but it was played on the Score tonight.

Can anybody confirm this? If it's true, we've all been treated to precisely what has been going on inside the Chicago White Sox clubhouse all season long, probably 3 years or more.

"If you don't agree with Jerry Manuel, you don't understand baseball." He sounds like Bmr. :smile:

A psychologist would have a field day with Manuel's psyche. Or maybe we should just cut to the chase and call it psychosis? Now that the Sox announcers, the media (save Rogers), the ballplayers, and the fans (most of them) agree that Manuel made a poor decision--we all don't know baseball. Is there ANYBODY this man won't pick a fight with, except of course those marginally talented ballplayers who he can't accommodate enough?

This is the yelp of a dog about to be shot in the head. He's gone. Mark my words.

RedPinStripes
08-30-2003, 09:52 AM
LOL! The part of baseball that i understand is that you put your best agianst the best and dont throw in the towel if tyou won the first 2 games in a series. Manuel is satisfied with winning the series, but he doesnt compensate for the times they were swept by detroit, texas ect. Wouldnt you want to make up a few?

Just as expected, the Sox might have completely ****ed up a young pitchers head already for no good reason. Now who do you blame if the sox lose the division by 3 games or less? Should have fired jerry after his terrible display of mgt in the 2000 playoffs. IF the Sox get tehre, he'll take them right out if there are any close games.

OEO Magglio
08-30-2003, 10:14 AM
The one thing I never understood about baseball, is why jerry manuel still has a job. :?:

koch44
08-30-2003, 10:22 AM
''I know I took a lot of beat up. I probably will take [more] beat up because people just don't understand baseball and what we're trying to accomplish here."

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox301.html

:firejerry

PaleHoseGeorge
08-30-2003, 10:31 AM
:jerry
''I know I took a lot of beat up. I probably will take [more] beat up because people just don't understand baseball and what we're trying to accomplish here."

Put a fork in 'em. The only question now is how long Reinsdorf and Williams will wait to can him.

:hawk
"HE GONE!"

OEO Magglio
08-30-2003, 10:52 AM
It's really depressing to think about where this team would be with a different manager.

doogiec
08-30-2003, 11:07 AM
Funny- Mark Buehrle said the same thing about Sox fans a couple of months ago...Good to see Manuel and Buehrle finally agree about something.

idseer
08-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Should have fired jerry after his terrible display of mgt in the 2000 playoffs. IF the Sox get tehre, he'll take them right out if there are any close games.

exACTLY! there's maybe 2 or 3 people here who recognized the fact jm had no clue even in '00. the 'manager of the year' (joke) award blinded most, including upper management apparently, and we've paid the price ever since.
i said it then and i say it now .... we'll never win with jm at the helm.

harwar
08-30-2003, 11:21 AM
Contrary to those Manuel apologist among us,i feel that there is no question that we would be AT LEAST 15 games over .500 with a manager who knew what he was doing and not just playing it by ear while he dances as fast as he can.This man has the whole team so screwed up that they don't know which way they are going.
Buehrle looks to be out of control with rage half the time(i understand)and its not just because hes' getting knocked around.
We've got one hell of a fight coming up in september and i don't think Manuel is the man to inspire confidence in his troops.
JM is the kind of guy that would end up a battlefield casualty because,while you don't mind risking your life if you have to,your not going to do it for a bumbling fool who doesn't know what hes' doing.At least thats they way it used to be.

voodoochile
08-30-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by doogiec
Funny- Mark Buehrle said the same thing about Sox fans a couple of months ago...Good to see Manuel and Buehrle finally agree about something.

At least Buehrle was speaking from a point of frustration. IIRC, he had had 4 or 5 good starts and had nothing to show for it except more losses, because the offense was playing corpseball as Manuel tinkered away the first half. Then Buehrle got shelled and the fans got on him.

Manuel's comments are more directed from a "Jerry knows best even when everyone else thinks he's an idiot" place.

RKMeibalane
08-30-2003, 12:04 PM
A team stuck with a manager with an oversized ego won't get far in the postseason. Virtually everyone on the planet who is familiar with this year's installment of the Chicago White Sox believes the following:

1. Frank Thomas should be the first baseman.

2. Mark Buehrle should have started over Neal Cotts at Yankee Stadium.

Manuel, of course, believes the opposite. Were I in his position, I would have at least considered the possibility that I have made some mistakes running the team. He doesn't seem to be interested in doing that, however.

If Manuel honestly believes that he is the only one who knows what's going on, he's out of his mind. Every major decision he makes blows up in his face. Why? Because everything he decides on is so horrible that it can't possibly work.

I would love to have a talk with some of players. Not an interview, not any sort of an official meeting. I would just like to talk with them, and hear what they really think of their manager. I don't imagine that what they would have to say about him is pleasant.

HawkDJ
08-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Here is the full quote so we're not posting quotes out of context here.

I knew (Buehrle) wasn't quite right. I've been watching him for five years and I know when he has these little periods. I know I took a lot of beat-up, probably still will take some beat-up, but people just don't understand baseball and what we're trying to accomplish here.

Lip Man 1
08-30-2003, 01:16 PM
I find it interesting that as soon as Manager Gandhi comes under fire from his critics he falls back on the lamest crutch in sports...you never played at this level so you don't know baseball.

That's funny.

That's like saying you can't critisize a politician because you've never been Mayor or President. You don't have to be...everyone knows the difference between right and wrong.

When you have as many current and former Sox players saying that's something's wrong with Manuel (and Williams), that's an indication of something.

The athletes themselves are indicting Manuel and most fans see things clearly enough to understand that.

Lip

SouthBendSox
08-30-2003, 01:29 PM
but... i mean...

he did take a lot of beat up

whatever that means

fire this clown