PDA

View Full Version : Poor Dave Wills...

PaleHoseGeorge
08-29-2003, 09:12 PM
... he ought to get combat pay doing his show tonight.

hose
08-30-2003, 01:56 PM
:wills

"Union scale and a couple of cold Miller lites, Laddie"

TornLabrum
08-30-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Well, at least Steff was there to console him.

:wills

"Another Miller Light for Dave Wills and all the NomadsFest crew!"

soxwon
08-31-2003, 10:42 PM
i was in detroit this weekend what happened to Dave Wills?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-01-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by soxwon
i was in detroit this weekend what happened to Dave Wills?

The reference was to Friday night's show. Manuel's strategy of setting the rotation to beat Detroit had backfired, the Sox had lost two in a row, and everyone was in an awfully crappy mood.

Wills worked the show alone, which means he didn't have Melton around to save him from dealing with the more abrasive callers. One guy accused Wills of being a Manuel apologist, then did the Flubbie troll "oh no" schtick... Wills was going back and forth between explaining himself and radio commercials... trying to put distance between one awkward moment and the next.

As Torn pointed out, Wills got a bit of relief when Steff called in. She noted that Manuel as manager can do what he wants (an interesting philosophy for how to become unemployed, BTW) which Wills reluctantly agreed with.

The most Wills would give up is that Manuel's statements through the course of the week could have been handled better. If he changed the "could" to a "SHOULD" I would agree with him. The Sox are in a pennant race and these sorts of distractions from their own manager are totally unnecessary and definitely worthy of dismissal--especially in light of the additional comments Manuel has made in the aftermath, absolving himself of responsibility and instead blaming everyone who disagrees with him.

Wills can't defend that. Nobody, so far, has called him on it.

harwar
09-01-2003, 12:32 PM
Yea,it was pretty funny to hear him twisting in the wind out there.He was so confused that he didn't know if he was sellin t-shirts or cars from south oak dodge.I actually had a couple of miller lights(not really,can't stand the stuff) with him a couple of seasons ago and found him to be a very likeable fellow.

luvsox56
09-01-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Dave actually made reference to this comment on his show. I think he spends more time on here than we think. And yes, I agree, he is a very likeable man...

hose
09-01-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by luvsox56
Dave actually made reference to this comment on his show. I think he spends more time on here than we think. And yes, I agree, he is a very likeable man...

I think he would be a fun guy to talk baseball over a few cold ones. :gulp:

Willsy would definitely speak what was on his mind :D:

I've bumped into Bill Melton a couple of times at the park and he is a real good guy also.

TornLabrum
09-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by hose
I think he would be a fun guy to talk baseball over a few cold ones. :gulp:

Willsy would definitely speak what was on his mind :D:

I've bumped into Bill Melton a couple of times at the park and he is a real good guy also.

If you want someone to really speak his mind, just get Moose Skowron going.