PDA

View Full Version : Dropped third strikes

MarqSox
08-29-2003, 08:30 PM
Does it bother anyone else when a player strikes out at a ball in the dirt and just walks toward the dugout instead of running to first? I realize the chances of the catcher making a bad throw are not good, but to me, not running on a dropped third strike is akin to jogging out a ground ball to third. :angry:

FJA
08-29-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Does it bother anyone else when a player strikes out at a ball in the dirt and just walks toward the dugout instead of running to first? I realize the chances of the catcher making a bad throw are not good, but to me, not running on a dropped third strike is akin to jogging out a ground ball to third. :angry:

I'm with you on this one.

WhiteSox = Life
08-29-2003, 08:33 PM

I think a batter should always run on a drop-third strike as long as there's no one on first base, obviously. You never know what might happen. What he can do is quickly run, or sort of jog away to the dugout (it has to be on the first base side) to avoid the tag from the catcher and then before he enters, dash to first base!

:D:

voodoochile
08-29-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
I think a batter should always run on a drop-third strike as long as there's no one on first base, obviously. You never know what might happen. What he can do is quickly run, or sort of jog away to the dugout (it has to be on the first base side) to avoid the tag from the catcher and then before he enters, dash to first base!

:D:

I think that would be running out of the baseline, but I may be wrong... :)

TheRockinMT
08-29-2003, 10:21 PM
I think that any ballplayer should be running out every thing. That means all the way to first base on grounders, popups, dropped third strikes, whatever. They get paid to give it their all.

Brian26
08-29-2003, 11:18 PM

Keep an eye on Robbie or Everett next time they hit a routine ground ball to shortstop or second. Their half-hearted jogs to first base make me sick. Actually, most of the guys on the team do it. How hard is it to run out a groundball hard?

MHOUSE
08-30-2003, 01:13 AM
I've seen on several occasions a ball in the dirt get away far enough for there to be at least a closer play at first. IIRC Paulie actually struck out and got to first b/c one went to the backstop. If slow poKonerko can do it then anyone can.

WhiteSox = Life
08-30-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I think that would be running out of the baseline, but I may be wrong... :)

I believe I read somewhere that it's a legal move. Since the ball is dead, a player does not need to follow the baseline. I'm guessing that one can also take any sort of route to first base he wants on a walk, too.

Of course, I may be wrong on all of this. But hey, it's always fun to screw with the rules a little bit.

:)