PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Bat - BS

Fridaythe13thJason
08-29-2003, 07:52 PM
Listening to the Tiger's feed, one of the announcers was in Jerry Manuel's office and there was a message from Ken Williams.

MLB said that the White Sox cannot take batting practice with an aluminum bat anymore. What a load of BS.

HawkDJ
08-29-2003, 08:02 PM
Apparently using a corked bat is OK for "entertaining" but an aluminum bat to work on your swing is not OK.

Fridaythe13thJason
08-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
Apparently using a corked bat is OK for "entertaining" but an aluminum bat to work on your swing is not OK.

God, I didn't even think of that.

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-29-2003, 09:19 PM
wow, what a load of crap. bud and the rest of those bafoons can take the bat and shove it

FJA
08-29-2003, 09:19 PM
This is just dumb. Why does it matter if a guy uses an aluminum bat, his game bat or a tree trunk during batting practice? Hell, if he wants to hit the balls right off his forearm, that's his problem, not Major League Baseball's!

Anyone else think this is just MLB being particularly sensitive to the whole "batting practice entertainment" thing in light of Sham-Me?

doogiec
08-29-2003, 10:13 PM
Its good to see MLB is concentrating on the important things. I'd hate to see them waste time addressing steroids, several franchises in trouble, escalating ticket prices, poor umpiring or any other trivial problems. Lets concentrate on BP.

RKMeibalane
08-29-2003, 11:34 PM
Is anyone else as disturbed as I am that the MLB keeps trying to downplay anything that Sosa does, but now that Frank is putting up big numbers again, they take action?

This has conspiracy written all over it.

:tool

"I don't think Frank Thomas is good for the game of baseball."

RKMeibalane
08-29-2003, 11:37 PM
Furthermore, Frank has been using that bat for about a month. MLB has had more than enough time to make a decision on the issue, and they wait until now to do so. If this has any effect on the Sox chances of making the post-season, Bud Selig should be exiled from the United States and sent to Aubu Daubi.

RKMeibalane
08-29-2003, 11:38 PM
Frank should go up there with the bat anyway just to see what happens. Maybe MLB will decide to "penalize" the White Sox by firing Jerry Manuel.

southsidegirl
08-30-2003, 12:04 AM
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!!!!!!!!! I am now royally pissed off. If only I could give mlb a piece of my mind...... :angry:

Thunderstruck30
08-30-2003, 01:35 AM
In the words of Hawk "Thats BS."

rmusacch
08-30-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
Listening to the Tiger's feed, one of the announcers was in Jerry Manuel's office and there was a message from Ken Williams.

MLB said that the White Sox cannot take batting practice with an aluminum bat anymore. What a load of BS.

Yeah I heard the same thing. I was thinking that is bizarre.

pudge
08-30-2003, 02:19 AM
I had a real fear this might happen. If you think about it, it sort of makes sense. If every player started using aluminum to "put on a show" in BP, fans and players on the field could start getting hurt. It's just too bad Frank won't be able to do it anymore. It sucks, actually. We know how moody Frank can be when things don't go his way. Let's hope he's had enough time with the aluminum to find his swing and keep it.

doogiec
08-30-2003, 07:24 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030828&content_id=501996&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha

I suspect this has something to do with the decision. Note that in the middle of the story it references a young girl suffering a skull fracture during Sox BP at Yankee Stadium.

Anyone know if this was off an aluminum bat? The story doesn't name the hitter.

gosox41
08-30-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC

But who is going to know if a player uses an aluminum bat in BP before the gates even open? It could still be done.

Also, did MBL ever decide on a punishment for using an aluminum bat? I'm sure the union wouldn't be happy if a player was suspended for using an alumium bat during BP.

Bob

Hangar18
08-30-2003, 10:00 AM
I know there is NO RULE stating what a player can use to hit with
during batting practice. Bud Selig got a Chewing Out from Steinbrenner after the SOX beat up on the Yankees, so trust me, this was a King George complaint. Bud Selig doesnt have the Balls to make a decision on his own, without consulting the uppercrust

OEO Magglio
08-30-2003, 10:12 AM
Of course, anything sosa wants to do is just fine with major league baseball, if he was the one using an aluminum bat in ba, this rule would have never even been talked about.

soxtalker
08-30-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by doogiec
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030828&content_id=501996&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha

I suspect this has something to do with the decision. Note that in the middle of the story it references a young girl suffering a skull fracture during Sox BP at Yankee Stadium.

Anyone know if this was off an aluminum bat? The story doesn't name the hitter.

This makes a lot of sense as a possible motivation. MLB doesn't allow aluminum during a game, as I understand it, because of the fear of player injury. If they think that fans might be injured -- with the resulting bad publicity and lawsuits -- a ban makes perfect sense. If this means that Frank and others can't hit the ball a bit farther during batting practice, well, that's a small price to pay.

I also don't see this as a Sosa vs. Frank issue. MLB was quite embarrassed by the Sosa incident, and I'm sure that they'd rather avoid anything like that in the future. So, are cork bats really allowed in batting practice? I suspect that if they are allowed now, they won't be in the future.

jabrch
08-30-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
But who is going to know if a player uses an aluminum bat in BP before the gates even open? It could still be done.

You still have the other team and often major league officials in the stadium, just no fans. Other parks also have open BP unlike Comiskey. (That would be nice to bring back; by the way...)

The question is, are players allowed to use corked bats in BP, but not Aluminun? If that's the case, Frank can call Sammy and get a half dozen of his "entertainment" bats and use them. Or Frank can call Sammy and join his "workout regimen" and not worry about what type of bat he uses...