PDA

View Full Version : According To Ken Harrelson...


RKMeibalane
08-29-2003, 06:03 PM
:KW is the 2003 Sox MVP, hands down.

SouthBendSox
08-29-2003, 06:18 PM
thats garbage

ALomar has sucked

Crazy Carl's been medicore when you factor in defense (ok, above average, but still)

and we must not forget Foulke for Koch

RKMeibalane
08-29-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox
thats garbage

ALomar has sucked

Crazy Carl's been medicore when you factor in defense (ok, above average, but still)

and we must not forget Foulke for Koch

:hawk

"I looove stirring up controversy."

Steve Bartman
08-29-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox
thats garbage

ALomar has sucked

Crazy Carl's been medicore when you factor in defense (ok, above average, but still)

and we must not forget Foulke for Koch

No offense, but that's complete BS! Alomar's defense has been great. The double play combo of Valentin and Alomar has been fun to watch. As for Alomar's offense, he has been clutch and a catalyst at the top of the line-up. Carl Everett's first two games at the cell, he displayed shaky defense. Since then, he has been just fine out in Center and he is hitting .308 since coming to the Sox. Great trades for Kenny. Sullivan is a HUGE addition. :)

34 Inch Stick
08-29-2003, 06:40 PM
I think Kenny has done a decent job but clearly the Hawk was delusional from watching the Cotts meltdown.

doogiec
08-29-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox
thats garbage

ALomar has sucked

Crazy Carl's been medicore when you factor in defense (ok, above average, but still)

and we must not forget Foulke for Koch

Again, no offense, but I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could be watching this team all season and not recognize the contributions R Alomar and Everett have made in this team's turnaround. You can certainly rip the Foulke/Koch deal (although I remember a lot of people wanted Foulke gone at times last year) but you can't knock what Williams has done during the season.

We finally have a GM who decides to go for it, and he still gets ripped. I wouldn't second the MVP nomination, but he's done a hell of a job this year. If the Sox win anything this year, he has a real good shot at Exec of the Year.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-29-2003, 07:00 PM
Whether you agree with what he said or not, I'm sure all of us agree that whatever Hawk Harrelson says is nearly always a perfect barometer for what Chairman Reinsdorf is thinking.

:hawk = :reinsy 's mouth

With all the cheapskate moves Kenny has done to put this team in contention, I imagine Jerry Reinsdorf is very pleased with his GM. Very pleased, indeed.

:reinsy
"Kenny, you go on with your bad self!"

:KW
"Job security is nice!"

:jerry
"Hey, what about a shoutout for me too, Jerry?"

<crickets chirping>

:jerry
"Uh, oh..."

SouthBendSox
08-29-2003, 07:14 PM
has alomar's defense been good?

he doesnt make errors

but he also has no range anymore

SouthBendSox
08-29-2003, 07:16 PM
with the Sox is 333

DAJ 's was

...

332

NOW THATS AN UPGRADE!!!!!!!1

inta
08-29-2003, 07:28 PM
wow, another non-illinoisian who has no idea what he's talking about.

yeah alomar has "sucked"... that's f'n rich.
grow a brain.

SouthBendSox
08-29-2003, 07:36 PM
thanks, but come on dude, we are all sox fans here

i'm just not a robby guy, and dont buy the incessant hype of "he does the little things well"

he leads off, his job is to get on base so that the bigs can drive him in

333 OBP

out

doogiec
08-29-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox
has alomar's defense been good?

he doesnt make errors

but he also has no range anymore

Alomar's range has decreased with age, but he is still far better defensively than Jimenez and Durham. He's made plays on either side that I haven't seen made by Sox second basemen for years.

His solid defense has stabilized the infield, making Valentin respectable. Winning teams are solid up the middle.

Jimenez was prone to mental lapses. Alomar is an experienced veteran who has won pennants and World Series.

Finally, the Sox have been winning since the acquisitions. Sometimes stats don't tell the story, you have to actually watch the games.

SouthBendSox
08-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by doogiec

Finally, the Sox have been winning since the acquisitions. Sometimes stats don't tell the story, you have to actually watch the games.


Great, I extend the rule of charity and take your word for it.

So tell me something you have learned or seen watching the games that I would have missed.

inta
08-29-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox
Great, I extend the rule of charity and take your word for it.

So tell me something you have learned or seen watching the games that I would have missed.

with alomar it's the hustle and the defense.
he's fixed our infield by 100x with his hand.
the running out of infield hits, bunts, timely singles.

TornLabrum
08-29-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by doogiec
Again, no offense, but I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could be watching this team all season and not recognize the contributions R Alomar and Everett have made in this team's turnaround. You can certainly rip the Foulke/Koch deal (although I remember a lot of people wanted Foulke gone at times last year) but you can't knock what Williams has done during the season.

We finally have a GM who decides to go for it, and he still gets ripped. I wouldn't second the MVP nomination, but he's done a hell of a job this year. If the Sox win anything this year, he has a real good shot at Exec of the Year.

South Bend is just down the road from Elkhart. Maybe it's the water in the St. Joe.

FJA
08-29-2003, 09:29 PM
Someone please keep an eye on this thread and stop it if it starts becoming ANOTHER DJ vs. Robbie thread. If anyone has anything useful to add to that argument that hasn't already been said on this board, I will eat my shoe.

Brian26
08-30-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox
has alomar's defense been good?

he doesnt make errors

but he also has no range anymore


Are you joking? Have you seen a Sox game in the last 2 months? Alomar does the little things that Jiminez couldn't do in his dreams. Watch how fluid Robbie is in setting up a 4-6-3 double play with Manos.

TornLabrum
08-30-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Are you joking? Have you seen a Sox game in the last 2 months? Alomar does the little things that Jiminez couldn't do in his dreams. Watch how fluid Robbie is in setting up a 4-6-3 double play with Manos.

I've also seen him on more than one occasion go far to his left in the hole to make outs out of what should have been singles.

jabrch
08-30-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox
has alomar's defense been good?

he doesnt make errors

but he also has no range anymore


Alomar doesn't have the range he had when he was with Cleveland, but nobody does. He is still far superior defensively to our myriad of options at 2B.

gosox41
08-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox
with the Sox is 333

DAJ 's was

...

332

NOW THATS AN UPGRADE!!!!!!!1

Alomar is much more fundamentally sound then DJ (remember trying to watch JImenez bunt???) Also, Alomar is a lot smarter then DJ was. How many basrunning gaffes has Alomar made since he's been here?

Bob

Brian26
08-30-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I've also seen him on more than one occasion go far to his left in the hole to make outs out of what should have been singles.

I was going to mention that in the earlier post too. That patented Alomar slide-move.

jabrch
08-30-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I was going to mention that in the earlier post too. That patented Alomar slide-move.

The Slide and Spin that Alomar does is a takeoff of Ryne Sandbers Spin-O-Rama which he stole directly from Dennis Savard...lol