PDA

View Full Version : Hells Bells, It's David Wells!

Mammoo
08-29-2003, 04:07 PM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/39501.htm :smile:

adsit
08-29-2003, 05:23 PM
Two things I take away from reading that...

First, Wells is a blowhard and hasn't changed much with time.

Second (and perhaps more instructive for JM and the White Sox) is that these guys know how to handle the media... and each other. In one comment ("the pitcher wasn't here so there are no rules"), Torre gave Wells the bitch slap he needed without undermining his player or his pitching coach, kept the clubhouse stuff in the clubhouse where it belongs, and gave the Post no new information.

Torre's a disciplinarian. Manuel is not. JM seems to use the press to air out personal, passive-aggressive grudges which only serve to magnify clubhouse strife... and I suspect that at least a few of the Sox beat writers know how to "play" Jer to that end.

This whole Buehrle/Cotts thing stems from that, when you think about it. What if Manuel had handled it a little differently? It's tough to imagine so I'll use a picture :smile:

:jerry
"When it comes time for (Thursday's) starter, we'll have one for you."

Damn. Not a lot you can do with that.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-29-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by adsit
Two things I take away from reading that...

First, Wells is a blowhard and hasn't changed much with time.

Second (and perhaps more instructive for JM and the White Sox) is that these guys know how to handle the media... and each other. In one comment ("the pitcher wasn't here so there are no rules"), Torre gave Wells the bitch slap he needed without undermining his player or his pitching coach, kept the clubhouse stuff in the clubhouse where it belongs, and gave the Post no new information.

Torre's a disciplinarian. Manuel is not. JM seems to use the press to air out personal, passive-aggressive grudges which only serve to magnify clubhouse strife... and I suspect that at least a few of the Sox beat writers know how to "play" Jer to that end.

This whole Buehrle/Cotts thing stems from that, when you think about it. What if Manuel had handled it a little differently? It's tough to imagine so I'll use a picture :smile:

"When it comes time for (Thursday's) starter, we'll have one for you."

Damn. Not a lot you can do with that.

Yours are great points, contrasting how Torre manages his ballclub and still manages to keep the NY media hordes at bay. Meanwhile Manuel can't even keep his pitching rotation decisions from turning into a major conflict, both in the clubhouse and in the media. What a joke...

I've read opinions here that we're suppose to excuse Manuel for not being very articulate, as though how he handles the media isn't a direct reflection on how he manages the clubhouse, too. How Torre handles Wells is a great illustration of how wrong-headed that thinking truly is.

We're Sox Fans. We shouldn't be accepting mediocrity... and that includes mediocrity from our manager.

"Mivk iser isdk illsf courlday."

RKMeibalane
08-29-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
"Mivk iser isdk illsf courlday."

What did he say? I don't speak Manuelese.