PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Comments

Lip Man 1
08-29-2003, 01:59 PM
Two very interesting comments posted in the paper today. I'm surprised they haven't been brought up so far. I post them here for your comment and discussion:

"I really didn't anticipate him not having the command (against the Yankees).-- Jerry Manuel to the Daily Southtown.

Cotts has shown in what, three of his four starts, that he's had control problems. That's a pretty big stretch to think he wasn't going to have none in a game at Yankee Stadium. Perhaps Jerry wasn't paying close attention to his other starts?

and here's the second one...

"We made this decision as a staff." --Jerry Manuel to the Daily Southtown.

I found this very interesting because I don't recall Jerry stating anywhere this week that this decision, which had been shrouded in controversy since Tuesday, was a "staff" decision. In fact (perhaps someone can check my memory on this) didn't Don Cooper say after he had a conversation with Buehrle that he went to Manuel and gave him the info that Buehrle said he was fine. Didn't Jerry state he was "99.99 per cent certain" that Mark would pitch on Thursday?

It sounds to me like Jerry is trying to share the "blame" on this one. Perhaps he didn't anticipate the attacks that are being made against him by everyone from fans, to the Sox announcers to the ESPN announcers. If so it's another "gutless" manuever.

Any thoughts on this?

Lip

Mammoo
08-29-2003, 02:04 PM
He had control problems in the minors as well. Hawk and DJ talked about it the night of his first start in Anaheim.

It will be a miracle if they win the division with this guy driving the bus!

MarkV
08-29-2003, 02:08 PM
Isn't it interesting that Manuel tries to cover for his moves by saying that someone is experiencing discomfort or is tired, trying to place the blame on the player?

duke of dorwood
08-29-2003, 02:12 PM
The manager has buck passed numerous times through the years. I'm sure the tinkering has been a staff decision too.

What a butt he is

Blueprint1
08-29-2003, 02:15 PM
I am kind of getting annoyed by this topic. yes cotts should not have started yesterday but how long do we have to cry about the spilled milk? It's the topic on the score all morning long. wait a minitue the sox beat the yankees 2 out of 3 in NY. looks like we are playing right into the medias hands. Remember the media when the cubs beat the yankees 2 out of 3 in chicago?????????

Iwritecode
08-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
I am kind of getting annoyed by this topic. yes cotts should not have started yesterday but how long do we have to cry about the spilled milk? It's the topic on the score all morning long. wait a minitue the sox beat the yankees 2 out of 3 in NY. looks like we are playing right into the medias hands. Remember the media when the cubs beat the yankees 2 out of 3 in chicago?????????

Yea, and we had a perfect chance to 1-up the Cubs by sweeping the Yanks in NY! It's too bad we have this man as our manager:

****ing moron-------------->:jerry

CHISOXFAN13
08-29-2003, 02:58 PM
Forget the stinking Cubs. We had a chance to beat the Yankees on the road three more times than the two teams we are battling for division supremacy combined. nd we are supposed to be the worst road team of the bunch.

I'm sure a sweep would have sent a hell of a lot more doubt into the Royals and Twins' minds than a series victory.

Mammoo
08-29-2003, 03:06 PM
It's a short season now and the Sox can ill afford to give away games. As pointed out before, the schedule doesn't favor our heroes and with a dead from the neck up manager, it will be difficult!