PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh...a pitcher we haven't seen before

LASOXFAN
08-29-2003, 02:23 AM
Nate Robertson ain't so bad, at least not in two games this year. He went 8.1 in his last start and only gave up two earnies (in a loss of course).

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/7014/gamelog

Maybe it's a good thing he'll be facing Buehrle and not Cotts.

Iwritecode
08-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Nate Robertson ain't so bad, at least not in two games this year. He went 8.1 in his last start and only gave up two earnies (in a loss of course).

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/7014/gamelog

Maybe it's a good thing he'll be facing Buehrle and not Cotts.

Why? So the Sox can lose 1 - 0 instead of 10 - 0???

LASOXFAN
08-29-2003, 11:32 AM
If the Sox get shutout by the lowly Tigers then I could give a damn whether or not they sweep the Yankees cause they got no business playing in October.

TheRockinMT
08-29-2003, 11:40 AM
The fact we were facing a Detroit Tiger pitcher we hadn't seen before made me feel the same concern as stated in this original posting. I don't know of any other team that has struggled like the Sox against a pitcher they haven't faced before. Thursday the Yankees didn't seem bothered much by phenom Cotts nor did the Rangers the first time they saw him. The Sox are a different story and that's not good. Let's just hope that the fact the players consider themselves a different team then the first half translates into a Sox winner.

kempsted
08-29-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Why? So the Sox can lose 1 - 0 instead of 10 - 0???
Bingo. That was the exact reason I said before the game yesterday. People point to our losses to the Tigers. But they have all been due to our lack of offense and not our bad pitching. Pitchers make no difference to the offense. No matter what anyone tells you - by definition half of the game is offense and 1/2 is defense. The starting pitcher only has a portion of the responsibility for 1/2 of the game (notice even there he doesn't have total responsibility). So why do people say stupid things like "Buhrle has dominated the tigers." Oh yeah - Laoiza did that in two 1-0 loses.

Foulke You
08-29-2003, 11:45 AM
At least the offense is coming into Detroit smoking hot and not doing the usual "road Sox offense". We looked as sound offensively this NY series as we had on any other road series recently. 13 runs on Tuesday, 11 runs on Wednesday, and even though we only scored 5 runs yesterday, we smoked the ball a couple times only to have a good defensive play take it away like Nick Johnson's play early in the game. With Thomas, Everett, Konerko, and Crede firing on all cylinders like they have been I think we are going to get to this kid tonight.