PDA

View Full Version : A simple question

kermittheefrog
08-28-2003, 09:38 PM
Why do people seem dissapointed or upset when we score lots of runs with home runs? Good offenses tend to hit a lot of home runs rather than say bunting a lot. People say we won't win when we don't hit homers which is a lot like saying we won't win if we never get runners on base. If you don't do the things key to scoring runs, primarily getting on base and hitting for power, you don't score runs.

I guess all the game winning bunts on Sportscenter have ruined people on the long ball.

RKMeibalane
08-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Why do people seem dissapointed or upset when we score lots of runs with home runs? Good offenses tend to hit a lot of home runs rather than say bunting a lot. People say we won't win when we don't hit homers which is a lot like saying we won't win if we never get runners on base. If you don't do the things key to scoring runs, primarily getting on base and hitting for power, you don't score runs.

I guess all the game winning bunts on Sportscenter have ruined people on the long ball.

I think the reason people are so concerned is that the Sox seem to live and die by the home run. They have trouble manufacturing runs on nights when they aren't swinging the bats well. It's analogous to a basketball team that shoots three-pointers all the time. If the shots don't fall, the team can't score.

voodoochile
08-28-2003, 10:21 PM

I have NO idea. Swing for the fences, White Sox. It seems to be working.

It isn't like this team is the second coming of the go-go White Sox, so perhaps they should play to their strengths. With this lineup the minute anyone gets on base, the rest of the inning guys should be trying to turn pitched baseballs into souveneirs, IMO. Swing hard in case you hit it and all that stuff...

gosox41
08-28-2003, 10:29 PM

A perfect example is the first half of the season. The Sox weren't hitting well at all for average or power. They had the fourth best ERA in the AL and were still 5 games under .500. How many games in the first half were lost 3-2 or 4-3 because of this failure? How many men did the Sox leave on base? Simple execution could have added 5-10 wins in the first half, thus making the team much further ahead right now.

Bob

JRIG
08-28-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I have NO idea. Swing for the fences, White Sox. It seems to be working.

It isn't like this team is the second coming of the go-go White Sox, so perhaps they should play to their strengths. With this lineup the minute anyone gets on base, the rest of the inning guys should be trying to turn pitched baseballs into souveneirs, IMO. Swing hard in case you hit it and all that stuff...

I was thinking this the other day. I don't think the Sox should ever sac bunt. They're not good at it. What are they good at? Hitting the ball hard and far. Why give up an out when you can have at least one more chance to have an extra-base hit.

Meixner007
08-29-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by JRIG
Why give up an out when you can have at least one more chance to have an extra-base hit.

Or a double play.

The fact is that on any given night the bats could be lelft at home. If that happens we're screwed. HR's might be fine and dandy right now, but when it gets down to the crunch time (playoffs) a championship is more likely to be decided on simple execution like a bunt rather than the long ball. Case and point 2001 9th inning.

MisterB
08-29-2003, 12:51 AM

Because it points out how one-dimensional our offense is. As a team we have more home runs than the Yankees, yet they've outscored us by 62 runs in 2 fewer games. The difference is the Yankees have more than just the home runs to beat you with. Statistically speaking, the Yanks have a slightly higher BA, significantly higher OBP, and a third more SB. They have the option of drawing a walk, stealing a base and scoring from second on a single. With the Sox, it seems that the long ball is our only source of offense, and if that gets shut down we score nothing and lose. And heaven help us if they get to the post season, where they get to face the best pitchers who are capable of limiting the long ball. Remember the lesson of 2000 - everybody was worried about the Sox pitching and defense in the playoffs, and in the end it was the offense that got shut down.

maurice
08-29-2003, 11:07 AM
The Yanks score more because their higher OBP dictates that fewer of their homers are solo shots.

jabrch
08-29-2003, 11:16 AM

Simple answer...Good teams win baseball games in many ways. A good team practices the fundamentals and can execute. They can hit behind runners, they can sacrifice and they can steal bases in addition to hitting the three run jack.

In the playoffs, when we have to face Mussina, Clemens, Pettite and Wells (a different guy in the playoffs, historically) we should not expect to see lemons like we saw on Tues and Wed. Should we win, and we play Boston or Oakland or something like that, we should expect to see the best out of Pedro, Hudson, Mulder, Zito, etc. These guys won't give up too many HRs. There will be more 3 - 2 games where we will need to do little things to get guys into scoring position and drive them home, rather than wait for men on base and a long fly...

A win is a win...and I love Sox wins. But the only Sox win I really want to see is the World Series clincher. And to do that, I don't think we can be so one dimensional. (incidentally, that's why I like Alomar so much...He is our most fundamentally sound player by a landslide.)

soxruleEP
08-29-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
A perfect example is the first half of the season. The Sox weren't hitting well at all for average or power. They had the fourth best ERA in the AL and were still 5 games under .500. How many games in the first half were lost 3-2 or 4-3 because of this failure? How many men did the Sox leave on base? Simple execution could have added 5-10 wins in the first half, thus making the team much further ahead right now.

Bob

That poor run production was the unbelieveable number of double plays hit into with the bases loaded and one out. The number of times we failed to score a runner from third wiht less than two outs was depressing.

I am big believer in the homerun. Earl Weaver pointed out that 75% (or some such high number) of baseball games are won by the big inning. 75% of winning teams score more runs in one inning than the other team scores in the whole game.

The big inning is how baseball is wonb. When the Sox are going good, they mirror those great Oriole teams--excellent starting pitching and power hitting.

kempsted
08-29-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by soxruleEP
That poor run production was the unbelieveable number of double plays hit into with the bases loaded and one out. The number of times we failed to score a runner from third wiht less than two outs was depressing.

I am big believer in the homerun. Earl Weaver pointed out that 75% (or some such high number) of baseball games are won by the big inning. 75% of winning teams score more runs in one inning than the other team scores in the whole game.

The big inning is how baseball is wonb. When the Sox are going good, they mirror those great Oriole teams--excellent starting pitching and power hitting.
I agree with this, but as a life long O's fan ( I grew up in Maryland) I can tell you the bottom of the order knew how to bunt and play small ball. If you are clicking power hitting is great, but the WhiteSox have sometimes scored more runs in a game where they were just putting 7 hits in a row for a couple of innings. The living by the long ball is why we have problems in Detroit for example.

Konerkoholic
08-29-2003, 02:38 PM
Great question. How many hitters in our lineup look like Sammy up there, swinging with all their might in case they make contact? Few. Roberto clearly tries to hit singles. Lee in the 2-hole has an easy, short swing. Frank's a line drive hitter. Maggs has a compact two-handed swing. Everett looks like he swings for the fences.. Paul, no, Crede, no, Sandy/Miguel, no. Jose, yes. Rowand, no. Harris? Hell, no.
Almost all the home run hitters in baseball say that they aren't trying to hit HRs. They just happen when you put a good swing on the ball. I think when our offense is hitting 4 or more HRs a game, it's the result of great swings. Besides, with all the slow baserunners and power hitters on our team, the deep drive is the most effective weapon we have. I say embrace it.