PDA

View Full Version : something that pissed me off - sox related

ewokpelts
08-28-2003, 10:13 PM
From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's "Save the Brewers" suggestion page.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/savethebrewers/archive.asp

Let's move ... the White Sox
Published June 10, 2002
The Brewers franchise should be contracted, and a team from another city should move into Miller Park as the "New Brewers."

That team should be the Chicago White Sox.

For years, Comiskey Park has not drawn huge amounts of fans, even for a team that made the playoffs in 2000. Sox fans don't support their team and just rip Cubs fans. This way, if the Sox moved to Milwaukee, they could become a National League team which could beat up on the Cubs eighteen times a year.

So-called Sox fans would love to see that, so games could be televised in Chicago as well as Milwaukee, doubling the amount of television revenue. This would give the Brewers significant bargaining power to bring in key free agents. Also, the talent on the field would draw fans to Miller Park, so it would be a win-win situation. Heck, even ex-Sox fans might make the 90-mile drive north to catch some games creating a greater fan base. Of course, Ben Sheets, Richie Sexson and Geoff Jenkins could become "New Brewers" to really bolster the lineup.

- From Dave Jelonek, Elk Lake Drive, Ill

WhiteSox = Life
08-28-2003, 10:24 PM
This is just about the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Originally posted by ewokpelts
From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's "Save the Brewers" suggestion page.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/savethebrewers/archive.asp

Let's move ... the White Sox
Published June 10, 2002
The Brewers franchise should be contracted, and a team from another city should move into Miller Park as the "New Brewers."

That team should be the Chicago White Sox.

For years, Comiskey Park has not drawn huge amounts of fans, even for a team that made the playoffs in 2000. Sox fans don't support their team and just rip Cubs fans. This way, if the Sox moved to Milwaukee, they could become a National League team which could beat up on the Cubs eighteen times a year.

So-called Sox fans would love to see that, so games could be televised in Chicago as well as Milwaukee, doubling the amount of television revenue. This would give the Brewers significant bargaining power to bring in key free agents. Also, the talent on the field would draw fans to Miller Park, so it would be a win-win situation. Heck, even ex-Sox fans might make the 90-mile drive north to catch some games creating a greater fan base. Of course, Ben Sheets, Richie Sexson and Geoff Jenkins could become "New Brewers" to really bolster the lineup.

- From Dave Jelonek, Elk Lake Drive, Ill

:tool
"Intriguing. I shall commence with this plan as immediately as I can."

Bucktown
08-29-2003, 01:22 AM
That would cut my drive in half. I totally support that one. Until we move back to Chicago.

thecell
08-29-2003, 10:46 AM
I am dumber for having read that.

GoSox2K3
08-29-2003, 10:59 AM
That's an incredibly stupid suggestion. It sounds like it was sent in by a reader. The guy definitely sounds like a Cub fan.

Chicago supports 2 teams much more successfully than Milwaukee supports 1 team.

MarqSox
08-29-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
You're right, of course, but in Milwaukee's defense, that city is simply DYING for something to cheer about on the baseball field. It's really hard to get people excited about a team that hasn't had a .500 season since 1992. But the current 10-game winning streak has people buzzing about the Brewers, despite the fact that they're still 13 games out of first place. I guarantee, if the Brewers had even an average team, they would draw 24,000 a night.

Hangar18
08-29-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
You're right, of course, but in Milwaukee's defense, that city is simply DYING for something to cheer about on the baseball field. It's really hard to get people excited about a team that hasn't had a .500 season since 1992. But the current 10-game winning streak has people buzzing about the Brewers, despite the fact that they're still 13 games out of first place. I guarantee, if the Brewers had even an average team, they would draw 24,000 a night.

How about we CONTRACT the Milwaukee "We-wish-we-were-the-Braves" and Move Miller Park into the Dearborn Station area of CHicago ???

WhiteSoxWinner
08-29-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
How about we CONTRACT the Milwaukee "We-wish-we-were-the-Braves" and Move Miller Park into the Dearborn Station area of CHicago ???

LMAO! I don't know if this should be in teal or deep pink .

Bisco Stu
08-30-2003, 02:47 AM
Might I suggest a new color, a combo of the two: Tink.

Also happens to be JM's favorite color.

hose
08-30-2003, 09:19 AM
How about contracting the Brewers and moving the Cubs to Milwaukee.

Jay Mariatti in a U-Haul wouldn't be to far behind the cubs moving vans in route to cheese land

LongLiveFisk
08-30-2003, 10:12 AM
Shut up, Dave Jelonek!! :angry:

TDog
08-31-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
That's an incredibly stupid suggestion. It sounds like it was sent in by a reader. The guy definitely sounds like a Cub fan.

You're right. This has to be from a Cubs fan. There is the mantra of "all Sox fans do is rip on Cubs fans" and the obvious lack of any contact with reality.

Actually, in the golden days of Milwaukee baseball, the Braves outdrew both the Cubs and the Sox. I haven't looked it up, but I believe in 1959, when the Braves nearly faced the Sox in the World Series, attendance at County Stadium was double the attendance at Comiskey, but triple the attendance at Wrigley Field. Even after the Tribune Company managed to market the Cubs' minor-league-quality facility as a baseball mecca, the Cubs have never managed to draw 3 million, as the Braves did in the 1950s. (There was a plaque in County Stadium commemorating their one-time attendance record.) One could easily make the argument that contracting the Brewers and bringing in the Cubs would be good for baseball. But I won't. Baseball geniuses might want to move the Sox into Wrigley.

Anyway, when I was in Wisconsin, it wasn't the Sox that some baseball fans and some local baseball writers wanted to replace possibly contracted Brewers in Miller Park. It was the Twins.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-31-2003, 11:33 AM
The whole thing is a pipe dream. As usual, the folks in Wisconsin are being delusional about their sports heritage. Their #1 spin-meister is this guy...

:tool
"Build for me a publicly-funded retractable roof $500 million monstrosity, and I'll draw 1.5 million and still remain in last place."

Milwaukee has NEVER supported major league baseball unless their teeny tiny fan base thought they had a legitimate shot at the World Series. Those Braves teams back in the 50's drew well because of the novelty of big-time baseball and the championship-caliber teams on the field.

If the folks in Wisconsin want big-time sports (or big-time anything for that matter), it is a very short 1-1/2 hour drive out of the woods and to Chicago. It has been like this since at least 1850.

I suggest they all start dealing with it. :D:

ewokpelts
08-31-2003, 02:07 PM
George,
Are you saying that the Commish isnt a wise and noble man? I trust and love all his decisions.......
.................................................. .........................................
......................................oh yeah...I'm also insane.....bwhahaha!
Gene