PDA

View Full Version : Would have won today w/ Buerhle

GoSox2K3
08-28-2003, 04:25 PM
Sox only lost by 2 runs. If Buerhle were pitching, there (c)ould have been no 1st inning meltdown and we (c)ould have won.

Too bad Manual doesn't realize that this was a real game that counted in the standings. All of us fans are getting ulcers out here knowing that every game is crucial. Meanwhile, Jerry Manual thinks this game doesn't count as much since we already won the series against the Yanks.

anewman35
08-28-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
Sox only lost by 2 runs. If Buerhle were pitching, there would have been no 1st inning meltdown and we would have won.

Too bad Manual doesn't realize that this was a real game that counted in the standings. All of us fans are getting ulcers out here knowing that every game is crucial. Meanwhile, Jerry Manual thinks this game doesn't count as much since we already won the series against the Yanks.

Nice to know you have the power to see alternate realities. Hey, let me know what would happen if we'd started, say, Rauch. Since you seem to know everything. Or if we'd called up Porzio, what would the line score have been? Maybe if we'd traded for Pedro Martinez, what then?

GoSox2K3
08-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Nice to know you have the power to see alternate realities. Hey, let me know what would happen if we'd started, say, Rauch. Since you seem to know everything. Or if we'd called up Porzio, what would the line score have been? Maybe if we'd traded for Pedro Martinez, what then?

Geez, you don't have to be such a smartass. Get Bent.

ssang
08-28-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by anewman35

So what are you trying to say? You agree with manuel's decision? Anyways, the answer to the question on this post is simple. YES!

GoSox2K3
08-28-2003, 04:55 PM
If anewman35 is going to make snide replies to everyone who thinks Manual erred today, I think he's going to be here all night.

anewman35
08-28-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by ssang
So what are you trying to say? You agree with manuel's decision? Anyways, the answer to the question on this post is simple. YES!

No, I don't. But I do think people should learn to put things in perspective and not make silly comments that they have no way to prove. Buehrle has lost plenty of games this year, how can anybody know he wouldn't have lost this one?

anewman35
08-28-2003, 04:58 PM
If anewman35 is going to make snide replies to everyone who thinks Manual erred today, I think he's going to be here all night.

Nah, I'm going home soon. I'm only bothering because it's better than working...

hold2dibber
08-28-2003, 05:01 PM
Sox only lost by 2 runs. If Buerhle were pitching, there would have been no 1st inning meltdown and we would have won.

There's no way you can say that. Buehrle has bad games sometimes - no way to say that he necessarily would have won the game. Plus, if the Sox hadn't given up all those runs in the 1st, maybe Mussina pitches differently (and more effectively) than he did with the big lead. Or maybe it's a closer game and the Yankees use Giambi to pinch hit and he knocks one out of the park. Who knows.

I mean, I see your point, and I agree that they should have started Buehrle. I think they would have had a better chance to win. But they might have lost. And they would have had less of a chance for a win tomorrow against Detroit (who Buehrle now gets to face). People are way overreacting to JM's decision.

shane
08-28-2003, 05:10 PM
I thought Buerhle was going to pitch. When did it change? That really sucks, because I wanted a sweep over the Yanks, and yes, that probably would have happened if Buerhle had pitched. I fully expect KC to gain some ground this evening, but hopefully the twinkies are going to lose. Detroit would have been a much better fit for Cotts. Perhaps Jerry's thinking is as follows: He doesn't expect the Twins to win today, isn't worried about KC, throws Cotts with a chance to win, but definetly wants to win the Detroit series, since the Twins will be struggling with the hot Texas bats. Nah, I think he's just stubborn and will have some kind of excuse about what sitting the youngster down would do to his confidence, since the team would feel that he wasn't able to win a big game. Well, he wasn't able to win a big game. That's about all I can come up with, but I still would prefer a sweep of the yankees. I think the Sox are going to win the division, so I'm not too worried yet.

LongLiveFisk
08-28-2003, 05:11 PM
None of us know for sure what would have happened, obviously, but one thing's for sure: I like our chances of winning this game a hell of a lot more with Buehrle in there. And in our case, when you can keep the momentum going, you better. We have had too many mental letdowns this season.

Going against Detroit would also have been good for Cotts' confidence too (I'm assuming anyway). If he could have beaten them, even though they are the worst team in baseball, this kid now has a 2-0 record in the bigs. Big psychological difference, I'd say.

I don't know...sometimes JM is just weird! :o:

GoSox2K3
08-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
There's no way you can say that. Buehrle has bad games sometimes - no way to say that he necessarily would have won the game. Plus, if the Sox hadn't given up all those runs in the 1st, maybe Mussina pitches differently (and more effectively) than he did with the big lead. Or maybe it's a closer game and the Yankees use Giambi to pinch hit and he knocks one out of the park. Who knows.

I mean, I see your point, and I agree that they should have started Buehrle. I think they would have had a better chance to win. But they might have lost. And they would have had less of a chance for a win tomorrow against Detroit (who Buehrle now gets to face). People are way overreacting to JM's decision.

Agreed. You can change my "W" to a "C" to say "Could have won...". But otherwise I stand by what I said.

It's too easy for us to 2nd guess Manual, but this move just seemed so blantantly boneheaded that he deserves this overreaction. No manager can predict the future, but they shouldn't be conceding any games in the middle of a pennant race either.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by shane
I thought Buerhle was going to pitch. When did it change? That really sucks, because I wanted a sweep over the Yanks, and yes, that probably would have happened if Buerhle had pitched....

Read this thread to learn the sorry details.

Manuel is in Buehrle's Kitchen (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23723)

Some of us didn't need today's shellacking to be convinced it was a boneheaded decision. It is only the historical revisionists around here (who are now busy scrambling for twisted logic to defend their positions) that would even bother to argue the point.

valposoxfan
08-28-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

How can you say that everyone is overreacting???? JM did not give the Sox a chance to sweep the most storied team in major league baseball. Managers play players most conducive to winning a game, especially against the Yankees, and especially in a pennant race with only a one game lead. I can't believe you are underreacting. This is serious and it could have serious ramifications.

soxrme
08-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Lets just pray Mark wins tomorrow. Lets go SOX, we have to sweep now. We got three good pitchers in a row going now and Monday off for some reason.

steff
08-29-2003, 08:39 AM
Sox only lost by 2 runs. If Buerhle were pitching, there (c)ould have been no 1st inning meltdown and we (c)ould have won.

Gee, thanks ... :cleo

Wouldn't happen to have the lotto #'s for tonight, would ya?

thepaulbowski
08-29-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by steff

nice one!

WWIII
08-29-2003, 10:14 AM
I didn't get a chance to watch the game live, but the highlights showed C.Lee blowing an easy pick-up in left that allowed 1 or 2 more runs to score that may not have otherwise. Granted, those runners may not have been on with better pitching, but that's not a guarantee. And then low and behold, the White Sox lose by 2 runs. So it wasn't just the pitching decision that blew this one.

voodoochile
08-29-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by steff

Now that's funny...

Okay, so barring a psychic answer, do you believe the Sox would have won if Buehrle pitches today? I put the odds at 75% based on what I saw of the game (most of it). That isn't based on some psychic prediction, it is based on what I know about Buerhle and the rest of the team.