PDA

View Full Version : If we're trying to win.....

MHOUSE
08-28-2003, 02:59 PM
.....then we should put out our best three guys against the Yankees and worry about the Tigers when the time comes. Facing the Yankees in the Bronx I want my top three: Loaiza, Colon, and Buehrle pitching. After two HUGE wins I want to go for the kill and sweep them, not lie down and leave town. Gimme a break. Every game is important. Should a rookie be in the rotation at all? If you want to bring him along without hurting our chances then pitch him in easier settings like against Detroit. Also, keep your guys happy. Buehrle wanted to pitch and prove it in a big game against New York. Then he gets the .1% chance and is skipped. Way to show confidence in ur guy Jer! UGH! :angry: I bet Buehrle is thinking about all those big games St. Louis plays in every year. This is sickening. Poor Neal. Poor Mark.

MHOUSE
08-28-2003, 03:11 PM
Also, Hawk is really upset. He bashed Jerry and now he's on the umpire for squeezing Marte's strike zone. Rightfully so, but he's being unusually straightforward, honest, and blunt about things. When Hawk gets mad then you know things are out of whack.

daveb816
08-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Hawk is the same guy who praised JM in 2000 as 'not afraid to lose a game for the bigger picture' when Howry and Foulke weren't used in Game 3 of Cubs-Sox series just before series in Cleveland.

Seems to have changed his tune since then.....

bobj4400
08-28-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by daveb816
Hawk is the same guy who praised JM in 2000 as 'not afraid to lose a game for the bigger picture' when Howry and Foulke weren't used in Game 3 of Cubs-Sox series just before series in Cleveland.

Seems to have changed his tune since then.....

I think the Sox were in first by a somewhat comfortable margin when he made that decision.

CLR01
08-28-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
.....then we should put out our best three guys against the Yankees and worry about the Tigers when the time comes. Facing the Yankees in the Bronx I want my top three: Loaiza, Colon, and Buehrle pitching. After two HUGE wins I want to go for the kill and sweep them, not lie down and leave town. Gimme a break. Every game is important. Should a rookie be in the rotation at all? If you want to bring him along without hurting our chances then pitch him in easier settings like against Detroit. Also, keep your guys happy. Buehrle wanted to pitch and prove it in a big game against New York. Then he gets the .1% chance and is skipped. Way to show confidence in ur guy Jer! UGH! :angry: I bet Buehrle is thinking about all those big games St. Louis plays in every year. This is sickening. Poor Neal. Poor Mark.

Buehrle didnt get skipped.

MHOUSE
08-28-2003, 07:20 PM
I just think that every game is important in a tight race. A loss and a KC win means we're in 2nd place. At this point in the season Manuel doesn't have the luxury of moving guys around and playing everyone and resting guys. We're trying to win a pennant. You put your best team out there and play to win every game. You pitch your best guys every chance you get. There's no time to see if this rookie has it or not against the Yankees. If Mark Buehrle can pitch then he goes. Stick to your guns Jer and go down with them blazing. None of this:

:jerry
"um...well uh...you know...well hold on let me reload a second....no don't shoot!"

MarkV
08-28-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by CLR01
Buehrle didnt get skipped.

It was Cotts' turn in the rotation, but it was Buehrle's day to pitch because they've been pitching him every five days all year. Again, more inconsistency from Manuel.

SoxFan76
08-28-2003, 07:43 PM
this isnt the time to experiment with rookies. every game from here on out is important. every game we lose, the closer KC can get to being in first place. and no central team has a shot at the wild card. the four man rotation would be nice right about now.

HawkDJ
08-28-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
this isnt the time to experiment with rookies. every game from here on out is important. every game we lose, the closer KC can get to being in first place. and no central team has a shot at the wild card. the four man rotation would be nice right about now.

Maybe so but we do have 3 of the top 15 MLB starters in innings pitched (Buehrle being #8). I think we remember the 2000 playoffs when all our starters were wasted and we were swept away?

CHISOXFAN13
08-28-2003, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't say the Central grabbing the wild card is out of reach. Seattle is in a tailspin, and Boston has a boatload of games left with New York and the Sox.

MRKARNO
08-28-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
I wouldn't say the Central grabbing the wild card is out of reach. Seattle is in a tailspin, and Boston has a boatload of games left with New York and the Sox.

No it's not, but it would take the continued M's slump and the Red Sox falling apart in september (which very well could happen if the yanks take 5 from them)

6.5 games might be too much :(:

MarkV
08-28-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
Maybe so but we do have 3 of the top 15 MLB starters in innings pitched (Buehrle being #8). I think we remember the 2000 playoffs when all our starters were wasted and we were swept away?

Our starters were great. We lost because everyone was trying to hit HRs instead of trying to get base hits and move runners along (pretty much the same case all of this year). Plus, Lou Piniella totally outmanaged Manuel.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by MarkV
Our starters were great. We lost because everyone was trying to hit HRs instead of trying to get base hits and move runners along (pretty much the same case all of this year). Plus, Lou Piniella totally outmanaged Manuel.

Exactly. All the hand-wringing over our weak pitching staff in '00 had nothing to do with being swept out of the ALDS. And even if Manuel was holding back Buehrle in a twisted bit of logic to "save him" for October, the facts are he didn't make up his mind until Wednesday night to do so.

Everyone should stop trying to give Manuel credit for being some sort of grand strategist. His own words and actions ALWAYS undercut your argument.

Lip Man 1
08-29-2003, 01:22 AM
The assumption here is that the Sox will even "get" to October.

If you don't then "saving" your pitchers doesn't amount to squat does it?

You worry about tomorrow when it comes, you take your best shot at winning everyday especially when you're involved in a race that's as tight as it is.

Lip

MHOUSE
08-29-2003, 04:46 PM
Lip has it right. We can't be setting our rotation for the postseason when we're in a race that changes everyday. We need to get to the playoffs before we can worry about them. Ed Farmer was talking about this after the game. You gotta play to win every game. We don't have the luxury being up 5-10 games and able to rest guys. Manuel needs to stop f-ing around and play his best team and win some games. Enough of this crap.