PDA

View Full Version : I Say, Trade 'Em All

Mammoo
08-28-2003, 02:33 PM
This Cotts guy proves once again that it takes 10-15 prospects to yield one decent major leaguer. I fully support Ken Williams trading guys like Tim Hummel and whoever else he unloaded to get Alomar, Everett, et al.

You'll never hear me complain or put down a GM who trades a wet behind the ears kid for a established pro.

Like I said, trade all the bastards, especially pitchers that can't get the ****ing ball over the plate! :angry:

MHOUSE
08-28-2003, 02:38 PM
hey come on now. Cotts is pitching his 4th career start on the road against the Yankees and his manager sticks him out there the night before after everyone thought Mark would go. That's a tough spot for a young guy like he is. Chalk this one up to Manuel's idiocy. Don't get down on Cotts.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
hey come on now. Cotts is pitching his 4th career start on the road against the Yankees and his manager sticks him out there the night before after everyone thought Mark would go. That's a tough spot for a young guy like he is. Chalk this one up to Manuel's idiocy. Don't get down on Cotts.

I agree. Cotts is blameless in this. Manuel did nothing but pull his chain all week long. He said NOTHING to build up this kid's confidence. Hell, he even told Teddy G. last night he might *still* give the ball to Buehrle. He was toying with the kid's confidence. He's so damned stupid, he probably didn't even realize it.

Manuel needs to go.

MHOUSE
08-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I agree. Cotts is blameless in this. Manuel did nothing but pull his chain all week long. He said NOTHING to build up this kid's confidence. Hell, he even told Teddy G. last night he might *still* give the ball to Buehrle. He was toying with the kid's confidence. He's so damned stupid, he probably didn't even realize it.

Manuel needs to go.

Exactly. You can't blame Cotts for getting beaten up by the Yankees in only his fourth start. Manuel is the idiot and I hope it felt good to trot out and take the ball after 1/3 of an inning. Chew on that during your next snooze in the dugout moron!

:jerry
"Neal you're starting in your turn. Well it's 99.9% that you're not. Well now that we won, we don't need another big game so we'll throw you out there anyways. Whatever."

Mammoo
08-28-2003, 03:16 PM
...throw the ball over the plate.

If they hit it all over the yard, so what. Like you said it's the Yankees...but don't walk 'em!! :angry:

My God!!!
http://www.chapman.edu/students/ralst100/ninja.jpg

thepaulbowski
08-28-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
...throw the ball over the plate.

If they hit it all over the yard, so what. Like you said it's the Yankees...but don't walk 'em!! :angry:

I think if was in his shoes, I would of had problems too...finding out the morning of the game, you get to pitch in Yankee stadium for the first time. C'mon, what'd you expect, him to be lights out. He was probably still star struck. Nerves can make you do things you wouldn't normally do. He probably resorted to try to aiming the ball instead of pitching....which led to the walks.

SouthBendSox
08-28-2003, 03:34 PM
fire manuel

Mammoo
08-28-2003, 03:40 PM
I expected a major league pitcher on a contending team to get out of the first inning. Hey, he took the ball so he's obligated to put up a fight...Jesus!!!

Don't be so forgiving of inepitude. The guy has a history of control problems and he'd better straighten them out or he'll spend his career in Bum****, Iowa!

Cinch it up...hunker down...bow your neck!!! :cool:

soxtalker
08-28-2003, 04:05 PM
This Cotts guy proves once again that it takes 10-15 prospects to yield one decent major leaguer. I fully support Ken Williams trading guys like Tim Hummel and whoever else he unloaded to get Alomar, Everett, et al.

You'll never hear me complain or put down a GM who trades a wet behind the ears kid for a established pro.

Cotts disappointing performance today proves no such thing. If it was so simple that a GM should just trade prospects to get experienced pro's, they'd all do it. Instead, what you are likely to end up with is a bunch of aging veterans on the downsides of their careers. The evaluation of both veterans and prospects takes good judgment. Both entail risks, and neither is obvious.

Since KW took over as GM, he has been much more willing to unload minor league talent than his predecessor. But it looks like some of that tendency may be because he didn't think that Schueler's choices were very good. (KW had some say, but Schueler had the final word.) He replaced Bradford with Olivo, for example, and Olivo will probably be our starting catcher for the foreseeable future. KW also has a different philosophy in his drafting with regard to pitching vs. position players.

bc2k
08-28-2003, 04:14 PM

Like I said, trade all the bastards, especially pitchers that can't get the ****ing ball over the plate! :angry:

I agree. If we drafted more college pitchers we would have a better idea of how good they are and will become. But we draft teenagers younger than Kobe would even date and spend years trying to develop them. How bout we draft a Prior, Zito, or Mulder.

Mammoo
08-28-2003, 04:34 PM
They don't do it these days because established stars command big salaries. Bottom feeders like Pittsburgh, Cincy and Texas are constantly unloading veterans to bring is cheap prospects. It's the way of the baseball world. Montreal, Seattle and a few others regularly produce decent players but the rest is an endless cycle of can't miss prospects that keeping missing.

Ken McBride, Barry Latman, Bruce Howard, Cisco Carlos, Tom Bradley, Ken Kravec, Bart Johnson, Ross Baumgartner, Britt Burns, Steve Trout , Richard Dotson, Alex Fernandez, Jason Bere, Wilson Alvarez, Scott Ruffcorn, Mike Sirotka, James Baldwin, Scott Eyre, Aaron Myette and Jim Parque were all heralded newcomers that never lived up to billing for any number of reasons; mainly because they JUST DIDN'T HAVE IT!!!

So pardon me if I don't get too excited about the possibilities offered by our current can't miss crop.

BTW...how's Joe Borchard doing???

Lip Man 1
08-28-2003, 05:19 PM
According to Hal Vickery, Baseball America had a story a few years ago that stated that only 10% of all minor league players ever reach the big leagues.

I remember the stat but did not remember the source.

Lip