PDA

View Full Version : What would you give up for a Sox WS?

Iwritecode
08-28-2003, 12:58 PM
I haven't seen this posted yet and thought it was kind of interesting. Basically, he asks if Cubs or Sox fans would make the "ultimate" sacrifice to get their team a WS ring. For Cubs fans, they would have to give up the Urinal and get a new staduim. Funny though, he doesn't mention anything about WHERE this new stadium would be located. I do know a few Cubs fans that would take this deal in a heartbeat though.

For Sox fans, it would be to watch the Cubs win a WS with a guarantee that the Sox would win the next two, although not against the Cubs.

I'm really torn on this one. I've always said it would kill Sox fans if the Cubs happen to win a WS first. But if they are guaranteed the next 2 and the Cubs won't even be in it? That's a tough one...

Click here (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030828greenfieldcolumn,1,2263128.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

guillen4life13
08-28-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I haven't seen this posted yet and thought it was kind of interesting. Basically, he asks if Cubs or Sox fans would make the "ultimate" sacrifice to get their team a WS ring. For Cubs fans, they would have to give up the Urinal and get a new staduim. Funny though, he doesn't mention anything about WHERE this new stadium would be located. I do know a few Cubs fans that would take this deal in a heartbeat though.

For Sox fans, it would be to watch the Cubs win a WS with a guarantee that the Sox would win the next two, although not against the Cubs.

I'm really torn on this one. I've always said it would kill Sox fans if the Cubs happen to win a WS first. But if they are guaranteed the next 2 and the Cubs won't even be in it? That's a tough one...

Click here (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030828greenfieldcolumn,1,2263128.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

To me, a world series is a world series. I hate the Cubs as much as anyone... but I'd rather have both of the teams win than have both lose. And even if we do have to endure a year of pain... we can drop that flack right back on to them for two years straight.

AND, might I add, our championship-less streak would still have been shorter, which is a good offensive statement after the Sox win their share.

valposoxfan
08-28-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
To me, a world series is a world series. I hate the Cubs as much as anyone... but I'd rather have both of the teams win than have both lose. And even if we do have to endure a year of pain... we can drop that flack right back on to them for two years straight.

AND, might I add, our championship-less streak would still have been shorter, which is a good offensive statement after the Sox win their share.

I NEVER want the Cubs to win a World Series, EVER. I would give up everything except my freedom and a job that payed at least minimum wage for a White Sox World Championship. I am completely serious about this too.

SoxFan76
08-28-2003, 08:46 PM
i was looking at some team statistics, and all-time, the cubs have more wins and championships (division, pennants, i forgot) than the sox. were the cubs a top team before the 1900s? sorry if this is common knowledge to most, i have to learn sometime.

Daver
08-28-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
i was looking at some team statistics, and all-time, the cubs have more wins and championships (division, pennants, i forgot) than the sox.

You might want to look at that again.

SoxFan76
08-28-2003, 09:00 PM
from baseball-reference.com

cubs, 9579-9056, .514 win pct., 16-2 (pennants-WS)

sox, 7942-7802, .504 win pct., 5-2 (pennants-WS)

so am i missing something here?

voodoochile
08-28-2003, 09:20 PM

Yes, but since 1901 (as long as the Sox have been a team) the Sox are much better. The actual stats are posted Here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3)

MarkV
08-28-2003, 09:23 PM

Don't forget, the Cubs numbers are from 1876. If you go from 1900 ( the first year of the Sox and AL [which wasn't recognized as a Major League until 1901]), the Cubs have ten pennants. You'll also find that the winning percentages are much closer. Plus don't forget the dominance of the Yankees over the 20th century. There was no truly dominant team in the NL-ever.

SoxFan76
08-28-2003, 09:29 PM
ok, that answers my questions. thanks.