PDA

View Full Version : Buerhle: WE SUPPORT YOU!

inta
08-28-2003, 03:39 AM
I just got in at 2:30am from a night at the bars assuming Buerhle was starting tomorrow.
i check chicagosports.com and find out that Crapuel decided to go with the .1% of Cotts starting

WHAT THE ***!!!!
Excuse my french by why does a Sox rout of the yanks in consecutive games determine if Mark starts or not in the 3rd of the series????

I hope Mark read this board just so he knows that I (and I'd assume 99.9% of sox fans) think Manuels decision is insane.
why the F do we need him to start in D-town? crissakes we could probably start wunsch in friday's game and win the way our sox are playing.
in case manuel hasn't noticed, we're barely clinging to 1st place over those pesky royals...

i'm infuriated right now more than i have been in any point of this season. we need to put away the yankees in a sweep, not go for the 2/3. demoralize this team and scare the piss out of them to make it a finely edited fox sports video for the playoffs ala the lakers going after the 97 bulls.

jesus, i doubt i'll sleep tonight i'm so angry at Jerri.

gosox41
08-28-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by inta
I just got in at 2:30am from a night at the bars assuming Buerhle was starting tomorrow.
i check chicagosports.com and find out that Crapuel decided to go with the .1% of Cotts starting

WHAT THE ***!!!!
Excuse my french by why does a Sox rout of the yanks in consecutive games determine if Mark starts or not in the 3rd of the series????

I hope Mark read this board just so he knows that I (and I'd assume 99.9% of sox fans) think Manuels decision is insane.
why the F do we need him to start in D-town? crissakes we could probably start wunsch in friday's game and win the way our sox are playing.
in case manuel hasn't noticed, we're barely clinging to 1st place over those pesky royals...

i'm infuriated right now more than i have been in any point of this season. we need to put away the yankees in a sweep, not go for the 2/3. demoralize this team and scare the piss out of them to make it a finely edited fox sports video for the playoffs ala the lakers going after the 97 bulls.

jesus, i doubt i'll sleep tonight i'm so angry at Jerri.

It's 4:55AM and I'm up when I should be asleep. I had a feeling this was going to happen if the Sox won the first two games (and I posted it on another thread yesterday.) The only reason I agree with this move is if MB really is having shoulder tightness. If an extra day's rest might help him be stronger and looser in 2 weeks, then I'm all for it.

If MB is healthy he should be starting. Can you imagine the outrage on this board if JM started Buehrle knowing he had shoulder tightness and Buehrle got hurt? I'm all for playing it a little safe if there is legit. concern about his shoulder.

Bob

Jurr
08-28-2003, 06:35 AM
AWWWWW....we're 9 games over .500 and in first place. Get over it. Let Jerry Manuel run this team. Buehrle could have easily got his butt handed to him tomorrow, and then we'd have Cotts going against Detroit, possibly to lose two in a row. Now, we may lose this coming game (or maybe not) and we have Buehrle going against a team he has dominated. What better way to start that weekend road series than by having Buehrle go and shut them down?? Then, we can have Garland and Loaiza close the deal the next two nights. There's as good a chance as Buehrle losing Thursday as Cotts. The Yanks bats are due, and Mussina is pitching. What's the difference in losing 13-6 or 2-1? Still an L, right? So, this way Cotts may lose, but you've got Buehrle in an obvious winning situation. You don't know if Cotts has his act together yet. It would be better to find out against the Yankees (and lose one) then have him find out against Detroit following a possible loss (losing two consecutive). If you step back and think about it, this makes sense.

CLR01
08-28-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Jurr
AWWWWW....we're 9 games over .500 and in first place. Get over it. Let Jerry Manuel run this team. Buehrle could have easily got his butt handed to him tomorrow, and then we'd have Cotts going against Detroit, possibly to lose two in a row.

Could you imagine what these people would be doing here if that happened and the sox got knocked out of first.? This place would go nuts.

Calm down people this is not that big of a deal. Mark, you will get your chance to pitch in yankee stadium, quit thinking of yourself and let Jerry manage the team.

Paulwny
08-28-2003, 07:34 AM
Most young pitchers are mentally fragile. If Cotts pitches well it will be a confidence booster. If he implodes , who knows how it will affect him. The yankee zoo is no place for a kid with 2 games under his belt.
I'm hoping Cotts pitches a good 5-6 innings.

Kilroy
08-28-2003, 08:49 AM
Why is everyone so worried about Buehrle going today? We won 2 of 2 against the Yanks so far, and have a chance to sweep. Be happy about that, first of all.

Second, the way we've played against detroit so far this year, I'm glad Buehrle is going tomorrow night. Out of their 33 wins, 7 of them have been against us. W/ the first game in a series being the most important, Buehrle needs to set the tone. Would you rather depend on Cotts or Garland to do that?

Buehrle will get his chance to pitch in the Bronx. Hopefully this coming October.

soxtalker
08-28-2003, 09:28 AM

That 99.9% figure is way overblown. Listening to the talk shows and, more important, reading the messages on this board, there are plenty of us that are willing to go along with Manuel's decision (even if we would decide the reverse) and even a few that fully agree with Manuel.

Jerko
08-28-2003, 09:40 AM
I see valid points for both sides of the argument, but I think what most Sox fans are pissed off about is ONCE AGAIN, what comes out of Manuel's mouth and what actually happens are 2 different things. At least this time he lied BEFORE the game and did not inuslt our intelligence like he does when he lies after losses.

kempsted
08-28-2003, 10:38 AM
But wait. Look at the Sun times today -

"Cotts, a Downstate native, ..." There is is folks, the real reason we are pitching Cotts. He his from there. Yeah that makes sense

Other great Manuel quote
"There are different arguments for anything. It's just a matter of opinion..." :?:

voodoochile
08-28-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
But wait. Look at the Sun times today -

"Cotts, a Downstate native, ..." There is is folks, the real reason we are pitching Cotts. He his from there. Yeah that makes sense

Other great Manuel quote
"There are different arguments for anything. It's just a matter of opinion..." :?:

Okay, Jerry. Here's MY opinion...

:firejerry

I think I have valid arguments for that opinion too...

harwar
08-28-2003, 11:00 AM
Now no one hates Manuel more than i do,i mean the guy is an idiot.But if Buehrle wasn't as loose as he usually is in his in-between starts throwing session i see no problem with him making his regularly scheduled start,instead of pushing him up a day just so he can pitch in yankee stadium.If things go well he will get to pitch there in october.
What scares me to death is when we get to the playoffs.Thats where the whole world will get to see what a total goof Manuel is.He just needs to sit there and not meddle too much and try not to say stupid things to the media.

soxtalker
08-28-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
I see valid points for both sides of the argument, but I think what most Sox fans are pissed off about is ONCE AGAIN, what comes out of Manuel's mouth and what actually happens are 2 different things. At least this time he lied BEFORE the game and did not inuslt our intelligence like he does when he lies after losses.

I, too, am not a fan of JM. However, I'm not sure that I'd be so concerned about the supposed flip-flop on what he has told the media (and us). This is a war out there among the teams. They are constantly trying to get an edge on the other team. So, it is possible that JM is taking care not to tip off the other teams as to what he is thinking of doing. I know that many fans have no confidence that JM would be capable of this depth of thinking, but I'm not one of those. And it is probably second nature in the game. I do, of course, care if this is the message that the players are getting.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
...So, it is possible that JM is taking care not to tip off the other teams as to what he is thinking of doing. I know that many fans have no confidence that JM would be capable of this depth of thinking, but I'm not one of those. And it is probably second nature in the game. I do, of course, care if this is the message that the players are getting.

LOL! Well, as I stated a few days ago, if Jerry Manuel is merely playing the role of an idiot just so he can spring Buehrle on the Yankees by surprise, he has done a masterful job the last 2.5 seasons setting them up for the fall.

:)

sti3
08-28-2003, 11:42 AM
This move sucks. It's a slap in the face to your hottest pitcher, who has never pitched in Yankee Stadium, has the best chance to keep us in the game against a good pitcher, and is ON SCHEDULE. It's incredible. To forfeit a game when you have a one game lead. Insane.

To answer one guy's question, if Buehrle pitched and we lost the lead? I would criticze Buehrle if he blew and the Sox bats if we got shut out.

If Cotts wins, well, great, good for him, but I don't see it happening. As has been said, the Yankees are the most patient team in baseball and Neal has had walk problems which will only be exacerbated with the pressure of pitching in front of 40k screaming new yorkers.

chosk8
08-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by sti3
This move sucks. It's a slap in the face to your hottest pitcher, who has never pitched in Yankee Stadium, has the best chance to keep us in the game against a good pitcher, and is ON SCHEDULE. It's incredible. To forfeit a game when you have a one game lead. Insane.

To answer one guy's question, if Buehrle pitched and we lost the lead? I would criticze Buehrle if he blew and the Sox bats if we got shut out.

If Cotts wins, well, great, good for him, but I don't see it happening. As has been said, the Yankees are the most patient team in baseball and Neal has had walk problems which will only be exacerbated with the pressure of pitching in front of 40k screaming new yorkers.

What move? It's Cotts' turn in the rotation. Colon, Cotts, Buehrle is the way its been going. I understand Buehrle wants to pitch against the Yankees, but getting off to a good start in Detroit is important as well and Mark gives us that opportunity to get off to a good start in the series opener against the Tigers. I'm fine with Cotts pitching and Wright coming in if he does get into trouble. Nice how it seems to most folks here that it's a foregone conculsion that if Cotts pitches today, it's an automatic loss.

SoxFanDan
08-28-2003, 12:01 PM
I understand why Cotts will be pitching. I have faith in this kid as well. I think JM wants Buerhle to face the TIgers, to gain the edge over them. As bad the tiggers are, i think he doesnt want repeats of the previous series at detroit.

Go cotts, get that sweep.

sti3
08-28-2003, 12:26 PM
The pitchers have enough rest--pitch your better pitcher against your better team and your worse pitcher against the worse team (and the Tigers are TERRIBLE, our record against them notwithstanding) and you have a better chance to win two games! Is that so hard to understand? Pitching a shaky pitcher against a very good, patient team gives you the least chance to win! DUH! Pitch him against the worst team in the majors to give him confidence.

inta
08-28-2003, 12:51 PM
christ...

i cannot believe the the lack of blood sniffing here. we have a very tenacious lead in the central, every game matters. I hope Cotts and our offense can do it, but i would be X amount more confident if Mark was up there this afternoon.

so it's ok to go for the sweep of detroit already having a hot garland and Loaiza up there, but not NY?
c'mon...

Mark is obviously disappointed judging by his comments in today's cubbune. at least now i'm expecting him to be so fired up by tomorrow he'll be completely lights out on d-town.

kempsted
08-28-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by chosk8
What move? It's Cotts' turn in the rotation. Colon, Cotts, Buehrle is the way its been going. I understand Buehrle wants to pitch against the Yankees, but getting off to a good start in Detroit is important as well and Mark gives us that opportunity to get off to a good start in the series opener against the Tigers. I'm fine with Cotts pitching and Wright coming in if he does get into trouble. Nice how it seems to most folks here that it's a foregone conculsion that if Cotts pitches today, it's an automatic loss.

This is just plain false. With a five man rotation the 5th man is ALWAYS skipped on an off day. You want your 1-2 and 3 working every 5 days. Today is the 5th day for the big B it is his turn. If this were Danny Wright we would also skip it.

In fact expect to see Danny today after Cotts walks a hundred guys for the 4th time.

cadman
08-28-2003, 01:32 PM
maybe manuel just didn't want the yankees to see buehrle this year because we'll probably be playing against them in the playoffs

inta
08-28-2003, 01:39 PM
sox down 4-2 in the 1st. cotts is getting his a$$ handed to him.
oh no, we surely didnt want buerhle in there.... we'd be much better off tiring out our bullpen...

i just gotta laugh.

sti3
08-28-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by cadman
maybe manuel just didn't want the yankees to see buehrle this year because we'll probably be playing against them in the playoffs ROFLMAO. You're right. He's a genius.

chosk8
08-28-2003, 02:18 PM
christ...

i cannot believe the the lack of blood sniffing here. we have a very tenacious lead in the central, every game matters. I hope Cotts and our offense can do it, but i would be X amount more confident if Mark was up there this afternoon.

so it's ok to go for the sweep of detroit already having a hot garland and Loaiza up there, but not NY?
c'mon...

Mark is obviously disappointed judging by his comments in today's cubbune. at least now i'm expecting him to be so fired up by tomorrow he'll be completely lights out on d-town.

Actually not. Either way Cotts was going either today or tomorrow, so someone was gonna go with an extra days rest. Yeah, in hindsight, it was a bad move, but we'll see tomorrow. It wasn't a guarantee that we win anyway if Buehrle goes. Believe me, I wasnt this team to step on a neck as much as the next guy, but a win tomorrow sets the tone for the Tigers series. Lets hope the offense still has some left in the tank to come back and take this one. Yes, Cotts did piss down his leg today.

bc2k
08-28-2003, 02:45 PM
I still think it was the right move not to start Buehrle today. If Cotts can only go 1/3 of an inning today, he wouldn't have fared much better vs. the Tigers. Cotts shouldn't be on this team.

Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't heard much about Rauch lately. Why was Cotts called up instead of Rauch?

If the Sox don't come back to win this game today, we now have an Ace ready to start a new winning streak. If the Sox do come back to win, Danny Wright will probably be the player of the game.

EDIT: Carl Everett could be the co-player of the game.

sti3
08-28-2003, 02:57 PM
I still think it was the right move not to start Buehrle today. If Cotts can only go 1/3 of an inning today, he wouldn't have fared much better vs. the Tigers. Cotts shouldn't be on this team.Huh? The Yankees are the most patient team in baseball and the Tigers the worst in virtually every category. You aren't making sense.

You don't need to "set a tone" against the Tigers. They are awful.