PDA

View Full Version : Cotts to Start Tomorrow

Unregistered
08-27-2003, 11:40 PM
Not to say that it's an automatic 'L', but I just don't get why JM feels the need to give away the last game. Apparently a series win is good enough for JM, but in case he didn't notice, KC won the last two games as well. It seems to make a lot more sense starting the pitcher with all of 3 ML starts against the worst lineup in the league, not to mention the fact that Buehrle stated many times that he would love to start a game at Yankee Stadium. This reeks.

As late as Tuesday, Manuel said there was "probably more than [a] 99.9 percent" chance the 24-year-old lefty would get his wish.

That changed Wednesday, with Manuel saying if the Sox could secure a series victory over the Yankees, he would save Buehrle for Friday's series opener at Detroit.

Boooooo...

Sox's rout sets back Buehrle's next start (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030827soxnotes,1,2472294.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

FJA
08-27-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Not to say that it's an automatic 'L', but I just don't get why JM feels the need to give away the last game. Apparently a series win is good enough for JM, but in case he didn't notice, KC won the last two games as well. It seems to make a lot more sense starting the pitcher with all of 3 ML starts against the worst lineup in the league, not to mention the fact that Buehrle stated many times that he would love to start a game at Yankee Stadium. This reeks.

Boooooo...

Sox's rout sets back Buehrle's next start (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030827soxnotes,1,2472294.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Agreed. This reeks. I like Cotts, but he CANNOT walk the Yankees like he walked the free-swinging Rangers. Especially against Mussina, who we sure as hell aren't going to light up like we lit up Wells and Clemens.

I'll be the first one cheering if Cotts holds the Yankees down and we score like we have been. But I'm not counting on it.

Jurr
08-28-2003, 05:29 AM
Who's to say that Buehrle wouldn't get shelled tomorrow? If he can get some extra rest for the stretch run, come out and dominate the tigers (leading to a sweep in Detroit), we're in terrific shape. Let the man run this team. Damn! We're in first, 9 games over .500, and still complaining.

Shoeless Joe
08-28-2003, 06:44 AM
I thought the goal of this series was to get 2 out of 3 and we did it. I went over this early but Cotts starting in Yankees Stadium is not a favorable situation you want for a young pitcher but you never know. Billy Traber from the Jndjans threw a one hitter against the Yanks earlier in the year and that was only his 6th major league start (this is Cotts 4th I believe). Also Mark Buehrle hasn't exactly been lights out against the Yankees (0-1, 4.61 ERA in two starts against them). Plus it enables the Sox rotation to now have Buehrle following Loaiza instead of Buehrle - Garland - Loaiza in the rotation.

MarqSox
08-28-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Jurr
Who's to say that Buehrle wouldn't get shelled tomorrow? If he can get some extra rest for the stretch run, come out and dominate the tigers (leading to a sweep in Detroit), we're in terrific shape. Let the man run this team. Damn! We're in first, 9 games over .500, and still complaining.
Usually I'm in the "quit bitching and enjoy the win" camp, but this move just boggles the mind. What the hell difference does it make if we've already won the series?? GROW SOME NUTS! GO FOR THE KILL!!

The last thing we want is to have Cotts get shelled in Yankee Stadium, for two reasons. First, it would disrupt his confidence, whereas his chances of dominating the Kittens tomorrow is much better. Second, if the Sox win tonight and sweep the Yanks, that would send a major message to the rest of the league that they're for real; winning 2 of 3, no matter how dominating those 2 wins were, just doesn't have the same impact.

Treat this like a real pennant race and pitch your best guys against the best teams. This is absurd. :angry:

34 Inch Stick
08-28-2003, 07:50 AM
Even if it works the logic is faulty. Then we will get people on here calling it a brilliant move when, in fact, it was nothing but pure luck.

Jerry is banking on either 1) the Sox bats dominating one of the best pitchers in the league during a hot streak, or 2) a rookie dominating one of the best lineups in the league at their home.

If he is not banking on 1 or 2 then he is conceding this game. No game can be conceded with a 1 game lead in the middle of a pennant race.

Can everyone please stop the crap about winning this series. It is not about winning series anymore. It is about staying in first place. Every single game is important.

No matter how it goes, good luck Cotts.

duke of dorwood
08-28-2003, 07:56 AM
Its his turn, he's in the Majors. Its a good test and a show of confidence in him. And with 2 wins there, a bit less pressure on him.

34 Inch Stick
08-28-2003, 08:14 AM
He's a 5th starter in the majors when there was a day off this week. IT IS NOT HIS TURN.

soxrme
08-28-2003, 08:25 AM
C'mon lets give the kid our support :)
Maybe we can steal one, we can use Mark to beat Detroit and take a series from them.

kempsted
08-28-2003, 09:38 AM
But wait. Look at the Sun times today -

"Cotts, a Downstate native, ..." There is is folks, the real reason we are pitching Cotts. He his from there. Yeah that makes sense

Other great Manuel quote
"There are different arguments for anything. It's just a matter of opinion..." :?:

dougs78
08-28-2003, 09:44 AM
Hey look at the upside. For those of us fans who don't live in Chicagoland its our first chance to get a look at Cotts on National tv!

Thanks for doing us that favor Jerry!

:jerry:

"No problem Doug, I am always looking out for our regional fanbases."

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
Anther great Manuel quote
"There are different arguments for anything. It's just a matter of opinion..." :?:

The man is an imbecile. I honestly feel sorry for the ballplayers. They need to just stick to their business--trying to win ballgames. Whatever is going on inside Jerry's head should be none of their concern because it is only going to hurt them wasting time trying to make sense of it. That's what I mean when I say...

Ignore this man -----------------> :jerry

Cotts is the man today. I'm rooting for him like any other Sox Fan and I'm sure every one of his teammates, too. But please don't anyone try and tell me we're winning because of Jerry Manuel. That **** won't fly.

FJA
08-28-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
But wait. Look at the Sun times today -

"Cotts, a Downstate native, ..." There is is folks, the real reason we are pitching Cotts. He his from there. Yeah that makes sense

Other great Manuel quote

Cotts is from Downstate Illinois. If you'd read further in that story, you would have found out this is his first time ever in New York. C'mon now.

Hangar18
08-28-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
He's a 5th starter in the majors when there was a day off this week. IT IS NOT HIS TURN.

Yes true, but you know what...this IS HIS CHANCE. If it was me...Hangar18 from chicago just flown in for the start, you have to believe Im going to RISE TO THE OCCASSION and do Everything and Anything to keep us in the game. Id junkball (my curve and offspeed stuff arent that great) that team to death, enough for me to give them 5 innings........