PDA

View Full Version : Sox sign Paniaqua

thepaulbowski
08-27-2003, 04:09 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030827soxmoves,1,2603367.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Steve Bartman
08-27-2003, 04:31 PM
I never want this guy any where near the cell. In spring training with the D-Rays this guy made one appearance, allowing one run. If this guy isn't good enough for Tampa, he sure isn't good enough for us.

Steve Bartman
08-27-2003, 04:31 PM
But maybe we can teach him a cutter...... :D:

Lip Man 1
08-27-2003, 04:47 PM
You'd prefer Billy Koch?????

Jose was pretty damn good with a good team behind him in 2000 and 2001.

I'll take him and anybody else kenny can get to help out even if it's only one game or one at bat. It could mean the difference between winning and losing a pennant.

Lip

hold2dibber
08-27-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Cubsloseagain911
I never want this guy any where near the cell. In spring training with the D-Rays this guy made one appearance, allowing one run. If this guy isn't good enough for Tampa, he sure isn't good enough for us.

I'm not certain that it makes sense to give any credence to the personnel decisions of the brain trust down in Tampa. They're not exactly renowned for their baseball savvy down there.

I would expect that he'll be called up when rosters expand next week. I don't expect a lot out of him, but it does give the team a little additional depth, which is never a bad thing. Plus, maybe the scouts saw something there that made them think he can be effective.

Hangar18
08-27-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm not certain that it makes sense to give any credence to the personnel decisions of the brain trust down in Tampa. They're not exactly renowned for their baseball savvy down there.
Plus, maybe the scouts saw something there that made them think he can be effective.

thats exactly right. Tampas the same dumb-ass team that "traded" McGriff for a 30 yr old career minor leaguer. Basically getting NOTHING in return to help themselves or the farm out. Perfect example of how Bad teams stay bad. Pirates fall into this category also

LuvSox
08-27-2003, 05:14 PM

Is Graffanino good enough for us? They cut him.

Steve Bartman
08-27-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Is Graffanino good enough for us? They cut him.

Yes, Graff is irreplaceable.

My point though was Jose "Bread and Water" is washed up. When he was with Detroit, the White Sox were the only team that couldn't hit him. Look, I hope it works out, but I'm happy with the way our bullpen is right now. Heck, I would rather have Dan Wright pitching than Pantiagua.

LuvSox
08-27-2003, 05:22 PM
When he was with Detroit, the White Sox were the only team that hit him.

Then nobody will hit him now! :)

Jjav829
08-27-2003, 05:24 PM
I'll take him. I doubt hes going to be the difference for us between going to the World Series or not, but if he can regain his form from when he was in Seattle, he can help. Some guys just lose it when they go to bad teams so maybe coming to a contender (assuming he does get called up) will rejuvinate him.

Steve Bartman
08-27-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Then nobody will hit him now! :)

Let me make a correction......The White Sox seemed to be the only team that couldn't hit him.

Clembasbal
08-27-2003, 10:28 PM
Heck, I would rather have Dan Wright pitching than Pantiagua.

Let's not get crazy now.

Dadawg_77
08-27-2003, 11:21 PM
This is a great move. Here is why, Paniaqua won't be called up till Sept 1st when Rosters expand or if someone get injured. He'll be around just in case someone in the pen gets hurt in Sept, or still is hurt (Koch). So instead of having Cotts coming out of the pen, if the Sox make it, they will have an experience reliever there.

gosox41
08-28-2003, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
You'd prefer Billy Koch?????

Jose was pretty damn good with a good team behind him in 2000 and 2001.

I'll take him and anybody else kenny can get to help out even if it's only one game or one at bat. It could mean the difference between winning and losing a pennant.

Lip

I think this move is a big nothing. Paniagua's best days are behind him. Hopefully JM won't use him in many close games.

Bob