PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Lee...

MarkEdward
08-27-2003, 04:57 PM
Somebody brought this up in the Sox-Yankees Game Chatter thread on Baseball Primer: this year, Carlos is only hitting .195/.254/.325 against lefties. He hasn't had trouble in the past, posting a .789 OPS against south paws from 2000 to 2002.

So, anyone care to speculate on what the problem is? Should he and Rowand be platooning (Rowand has a .735 OPS against lefties this year)?

Dadawg_77
08-27-2003, 05:01 PM
Great here comes another one of those threads.

Lee was one of the better non strike hitters, maybe this has caught up to him while facing lefties. If you do give Lee a rest vs lefties, I would start Rowand in Center and Carol in left.

kermittheefrog
08-27-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Somebody brought this up in the Sox-Yankees Game Chatter thread on Baseball Primer: this year, Carlos is only hitting .195/.254/.325 against lefties. He hasn't had trouble in the past, posting a .789 OPS against south paws from 2000 to 2002.

So, anyone care to speculate on what the problem is? Should he and Rowand be platooning (Rowand has a .735 OPS against lefties this year)?

I noticed this a while ago. If you just look at Lee's numbers against righties he looks like he's taken a normal developmental path. But once you remember his overall numbers he's a dissapointment again. When Lee has hit well it's because he's hitting lefties, he doesn't have any problems with righties. Who knows why this is the case. It's just a weird reverse platoon split.

The bigger problem is Everett doesn't hit lefties either so I don't see how it would help to get Rowand in for Lee. Somehow I bet the Sox don't even realize Lee's issues with lefties.

maurice
08-28-2003, 12:38 PM
The splits are at least partially skewed by JM bumping CLee down in the order in favor of Graff against LH starters. This tinker indicates that JM may be aware of the splits.