PDA

View Full Version : Weaver sent to Class A

fledgedrallycap
08-27-2003, 08:47 AM
How funny is this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/112517p-101622c.html

Sending a healthy major leaguer to Class A, a part of me really likes the Yankees....

Lip Man 1
08-27-2003, 12:52 PM
Part of Weaver agreeing to go is the fact that he has to be called back up before September 1st to be eligible for the post season.

Lip

fledgedrallycap
08-27-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Part of Weaver agreeing to go is the fact that he has to be called back up before September 1st to be eligible for the post season.

Lip

I know, I read that, too. I just love the fact the Yanks shipped his butt to rookie ball as a seasoned veteran. Most teams would of dropped him in AAA, but nope, they sent him all the way down to the bus-riding, non-air conditioned life-style of A minor-league baseball.

JJAustin69
08-27-2003, 01:54 PM
Apparently his pot smoking antics have worn thin.

fledgedrallycap
08-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
Apparently his pot smoking antics have worn thin.

Mr Weaver was a fan of left-handed cigarettes, huh?

Fisk72
08-27-2003, 02:55 PM
I think we can all agree that it was a good move never to have traded for him.

Paulwny
08-27-2003, 04:37 PM
Billy Conners is the yankee pitching guru, that's the main reason Weaver went to Tampa. All their rehab pitchers restart with Conners, Weaver is a head case, same as rehab.

hold2dibber
08-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I think we can all agree that it was a good move never to have traded for him.

That's for sure (I admit that at the beginning of last year, I was a proponent of trading Crede for Weaver - yet another reason why it's a damn good thing I'm not running the show). But with that said, I still think Weaver has promise. He has damn good stuff, but he is one of those guys that just doesn't belong in New York. If he can get his head on straight, I think he can be an effective pitcher again. Unfortunately, however, his monstrous contract makes it impossible for most teams to take that risk.

Jjav829
08-27-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
That's for sure (I admit that at the beginning of last year, I was a proponent of trading Crede for Weaver - yet another reason why it's a damn good thing I'm not running the show). But with that said, I still think Weaver has promise. He has damn good stuff, but he is one of those guys that just doesn't belong in New York. If he can get his head on straight, I think he can be an effective pitcher again. Unfortunately, however, his monstrous contract makes it impossible for most teams to take that risk.

Agreed. I think his head is the problem in this case. If you don't make a strong impression early on New York fans, they are going to let you hear it loud . Some guys just aren't mentally tough enough to put it aside and go out and play and get their head straight (see: Alomar, Roberto). Others can turn it around and endear themselves to the New York Fans (see: Giambi, Jason). It seems as if Weaver belongs to the former. But I definitely think he has the stuff to turn it around.