PDA

View Full Version : Great Win Tonight but.......

Mots09
08-26-2003, 10:23 PM
most of the runs we put up came off Homeruns. Teams that rely on homeruns are so scary, because if the balls aren't flying out they are not winning......

not to take anything away from the win tonight, just an observation.

GO SOX GO

cheeses_h_rice
08-26-2003, 10:31 PM
That does worry me a bit, but this year they've shown that HRs do not automatically mean a loss, as they did in previous years.

Plus a few of those shots tonight wouldn't have been home runs in a lot of parks.

MRKARNO
08-26-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Plus a few of those shots tonight wouldn't have been home runs in a lot of parks.

I'm pretty sure that all of those would be gone almost anywhere except Detroit

Daver
08-26-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Yellowstone?

:)

Bucktown
08-26-2003, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I can see where beating Roger Clemens 13-2 would have some worrisome aspects to it. Well, at least to a Sox fan.

I hope you don't win the lottery and have to deal with all those taxes and other worrisome aspects.

Oh, one other thing...SHUT UP.

cheeses_h_rice
08-26-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

I only saw these on the game highlights, but weren't Konerko's first blast and Crede's line shots? I thought the Yankee fences were pretty short, too.

WhiteSox = Life
08-26-2003, 10:50 PM
Well, Thomas' slam would've gone foul. Crede's and PK's first one probably would've gone out. Konerko's second shot would've gotten out and Magglio's probably would have gone to the CF wall but stayed in.

Despite Detroit playing deep, all of those (except for Thomas') would've been hits at the very least, IMO.

I may be wrong on my guesses, but I think I'm close. Plus, one game at a time, anyway, especially if the Sox keep getting pitching like they did tonight.

Go, Sox!

Tragg
08-26-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Mots09
most of the runs we put up came off Homeruns. Teams that rely on homeruns are so scary, because if the balls aren't flying out they are not winning......

GO SOX GO
Our lack of OB ability, with .230 hitters constantly swinging for the fences, is a general weakness in this team - we know it, every team has weaknesses, we'll just have to do our best to overcome it.
Ironically the team built by St William Beane has the same weaknesses (and the same strengths - SP) - how could that happen?

faneidde
08-26-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
Well, Thomas' slam would've gone foul. Crede's and PK's first one probably would've gone out. Konerko's second shot would've gotten out and Magglio's probably would have gone to the CF wall but stayed in.

Despite Detroit playing deep, all of those (except for Thomas') would've been hits at the very least, IMO.

I may be wrong on my guesses, but I think I'm close. Plus, one game at a time, anyway, especially if the Sox keep getting pitching like they did tonight.

Go, Sox!

Mags first homer to center went something like 425 ft. That goes out in every major league park.

bc2k
08-26-2003, 11:05 PM

GO SOX GO

Did anyone see Clemens's mom throw out the first pitch? I think she had more gas and break than her son tonight. Though by gas I don't mean fastballs, and by break I mean hip.

WhiteSox = Life
08-26-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
Mags first homer to center went something like 425 ft. That goes out in every major league park.

I thought Ordonez' shot would've hit off the wall in Detroit. I don't know how deep it goes in Comerica (I thought somewhere around 415-430), but it wouldn't be out in Houston, though, if I recall correctly.

faneidde
08-26-2003, 11:22 PM
I thought Ordonez' shot would've hit off the wall in Detroit. I don't know how deep it goes in Comerica (I thought somewhere around 415-430), but it wouldn't be out in Houston, though, if I recall correctly.

You are correct about Houston, I forgot about that joke of a stadium.

WhiteSox = Life
08-26-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
You are correct about Houston, I forgot about that joke of a stadium.

But Minute Maid is an amalgamation of what everyone loves:

A giant pole in the middle of centerfield, a fence with a scoreboard on it and a high hill, wonderful for climbing up, lying down upon and contemplating the great mysteries of baseball, like why is the foul pole fair and what makes a curve ball curve.

jeremyb1
08-26-2003, 11:43 PM

Theoretically though, you could say that about anything. Teams that rely on good starting pitching are scary because if their starters have bad outings they are not winning. Hitting home runs is just as reliable or even more reliable than hitting singles. The entire game is flukey but that's what makes it so enjoyable if you ask me.

Konerkoholic
08-27-2003, 01:26 AM
Anyone who gets worried about a 13-2 win is pretty damn hilarious. The Sox weren't swinging for the fences against Clemens. They hit 4 homers off him tonight by putting great swings on hittable pitches and hitting them HARD. That's a damn good thing. Konerko got a knee-high pitch and put a beautiful swing on it. Crede tore it loose on a 2-0 fastball right down the middle. Nothing wrong with that. They scored 13 runs! Are they supposed to hit 30 singles? Just be happy that they won.

ChiSoxBobette
08-27-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
That does worry me a bit, but this year they've shown that HRs do not automatically mean a loss, as they did in previous years.

Which ones , Konerkos was to left center which if I remember correctly is a pretty good poke at Yankee stadium, Maggs was a blast to straight center field which is over 400ft and Franks would have been out in any park right down the left field line and off the foul pole. As far as the White Sox hitting H.R.'s whats the big deal its not like Robby Alomar, Miguel Olivio, Aaron Rowand & Willie Harris are the guys hitting H.R.'s that are just making it out. Its Big Frank, Maggs, Crede, Valentin, Konerko & Lee , these guys are bangers and its what they're supposed to be doing. Also look at who was pitching Clemens so I don't think they were hitting cheap pitches. Now if the White Sox go out there every game and certain guys who are'nt homerun hitters start to look to hit H.R.'s then theres a concern, which then its Manuels job to correct.

Go White Sox

white sox bill
08-27-2003, 06:57 AM
Too bad Schonweiss had to blow the shutout, at first I liked the pickup because he has playoff experience, but he's gotta start pitching better

Then again we got him for a song, so we can't complain too much.
Bill

jabrch
08-27-2003, 07:41 AM

GO SOX GO

I know the offesne relied on HRs, but when you score 13 runs, usually it is because of HRs. The win was predominantly due to a fantastic outing by Esteban. THe way he was pitching, 1 or 2 runs would have been enough, cuz he could hav easily gone the distance if JM didn't take him out.

jabrch
08-27-2003, 07:44 AM

31 other parks it is a HR. in Detroit is is a double off the wall and in Houston it pegs the flagpole....(stupid morons...why put a flagpole in the field of play?)

That's a legit HR.

34 Inch Stick
08-27-2003, 09:19 AM

GO SOX GO

Then call the hits long singles where the players continue to move around the bases and lose your fear. 13-2 and a gimpy David Wells tonight.

CHISOXFAN13
08-27-2003, 10:19 AM
I keep hearing the argument that wins like this are scary because we hit a lot of home runs.

Aside from Sunday, I can't remember a game where we didn't hit at least one home run.

We are that talented. BELIEVE IT!

Lip Man 1
08-27-2003, 12:46 PM
and hopfully the Sox won't pull a repeat of what happened the last time they won 13-2.....

GETTING SHUT OUT 5-0.

Lip

doublem23
08-27-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Yeah, I can see where beating Roger Clemens 13-2 would have some worrisome aspects to it. Well, at least to a Sox fan.

I hope you don't win the lottery and have to deal with all those taxes and other worrisome aspects.

LOL! Thank you. ****, they hit the ball hard of a sure bet, first ballot Hall of Famer. We're in first place... All is well for at least one more day.

voodoochile
08-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
and hopfully the Sox won't pull a repeat of what happened the last time they won 13-2.....

GETTING SHUT OUT 5-0.

Lip

One thing has nothing to do with the other, so there is no reason to believe it will happen...

JC456
08-27-2003, 01:07 PM

Well said!!

I've just replied to three other threads about all of the negative talk on here today after a great big win. Can't some of these fans enjoy anything? There is always something they have to complain about.

Nice win last night and it was against a future Hall of Famer. Way to go boys, let's repeat tonight!!

Bucktown
08-27-2003, 08:28 PM
Too many doubles tonight?

PaleHoseGeorge
08-27-2003, 08:38 PM
Too many doubles tonight?

You read my mind. I'm terribly upset that we've failed to put down a decent drag bunt, too.

:jerry
"Give me time, gentlemen."