PDA

View Full Version : Why I think Buerhle's not starting Thursday:

ChiSox14305635
08-26-2003, 10:59 PM
I just figured out why Manuel did this. And when you think about it, ya gotta give him credit! Knowing the Sox would come in jacked up for this series, Manuel also took into account the last series the Sox had at Detroit, when they got swept. Colon, Garland, & Loaiza lost those games, with Loaiza's being a 1-0 loss. Buerhle on the other hand, has dominated the Tigers. Even if the Yanks were to win the last 2, he still sends his best 2 starters to the bump against the Tigers. The last series at "The Cell", the Sox finally got a bead on Tiger pitching, so they should be alot more successful this time around, and this time, we'll throw our best at the Tigers. Plus, this gives Manuel a chance to see how Cotts handles a major pressure cooker. If he can hold the Yanks at bay, it could be a HUGE confidence booster, and really solidfy this staff for September.

Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong. :D:

MRKARNO
08-26-2003, 11:03 PM
Another problem is that our home run hitting offense simply isnt suited for that huge ballpark in Detroit

gosox41
08-27-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
I just figured out why Manuel did this. And when you think about it, ya gotta give him credit! Knowing the Sox would come in jacked up for this series, Manuel also took into account the last series the Sox had at Detroit, when they got swept. Colon, Garland, & Loaiza lost those games, with Loaiza's being a 1-0 loss. Buerhle on the other hand, has dominated the Tigers. Even if the Yanks were to win the last 2, he still sends his best 2 starters to the bump against the Tigers. The last series at "The Cell", the Sox finally got a bead on Tiger pitching, so they should be alot more successful this time around, and this time, we'll throw our best at the Tigers. Plus, this gives Manuel a chance to see how Cotts handles a major pressure cooker. If he can hold the Yanks at bay, it could be a HUGE confidence booster, and really solidfy this staff for September.

I didn't know JM was capable of having such an extensive thought process.

Bob

hold2dibber
08-27-2003, 09:15 AM
In today's Trib, Manuel is quoted as saying that there is a 99% chance that Buehrle will start in NY on Thursday. As I've said all along, the only reason Manuel would push Buehrle back to Friday is if he felt that Buehrle's arm was hurting him. Apparently it isn't sore, so JM is going to start him in NY.

fquaye149
08-27-2003, 11:33 AM
i think it's more simple than that.... i just think that when you're nearing the end of the season you don't want to push starters to start on short rest if you can possibly avoid it. and i think neal cotts is good enough to keep us in it anyway

kempsted
08-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635

OK this would be completely stupid. Your 1-0 example points to it. Our problem with Detroit has not been pitching. Our problem with Detroit has been scoring runs. Who cares about who is pitching then?!? :?:
Look what you said. Loaiza lost 1-0 but Buerhle on the other hand has dominated the Tigers. :?: Obviously Loaiza also dominated the Tigers. Our hitters just didn't hit. That is all.

Also is this the time to see how Cotts handles a major pressure cooker? No. Also we won't need the 5th starter until September 20th after the next start.

If you don't think this pissed off Buerhle note a few things. Buerhle went to COOPER to talk about it. He didn't bother to talk to Tinkerbell. He also expressed strongly his displeasure to Ed Farmer.