PDA

View Full Version : LOL: guess which game WGN's sports led off with?

cheeses_h_rice
08-26-2003, 10:51 PM
You have 2 guesses, and the first one doesn't count...

chisoxfanatic
08-26-2003, 11:04 PM
I turned immediately to ESPN after the brief post game show on WGN...Who was it?

jabrch
08-26-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Next time I watch WGN News/Sports will be shortly after hell freezes over.

gogosoxgogo
08-26-2003, 11:10 PM
Guess what SportsCenter led off with...

cheeses_h_rice
08-26-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic
I turned immediately to ESPN after the brief post game show on WGN...Who was it?

Well, it was Dan Roan, a noted Flubbie fan.

And well, it was on WGN, a station owned by the Flubs' owners.

And well, I don't think I need to say anything more.

Gee, ya think if the Flubs were in 1st place playing the Yankees vs. Roger Clemens with their #1 pitcher -- a potential Cy Young winner -- while the Flubs were in 1st place, and the Flubs won 13-2, that WGN would dare lead off with the 3rd-place Sox beating the Royals? Nah, didn't think so.

chisoxfanatic
08-26-2003, 11:18 PM
:shammy
The entire Chicago media will bow to me!!!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2003, 11:19 PM
Well, it was Dan Roan, a noted Flubbie fan.

And well, it was on WGN, a station owned by the Flubs' owners.

And well, I don't think I need to say anything more.

Gee, ya think if the Flubs were in 1st place playing the Yankees vs. Roger Clemens with their #1 pitcher -- a potential Cy Young winner -- while the Flubs were in 1st place, and the Flubs won 13-2, that WGN would dare lead off with the 3rd-place Sox beating the Royals? Nah, didn't think so.

Don't forget to note that both Chicago teams are playing on the road, too.

Isn't this the point where one of the media apologists comes to Dan Roan's defense? :smile:

QueerGirrl
08-26-2003, 11:28 PM
Channel 7 led off with the Sox and they actually have Jeff Blanzy (sp?) reporting live in NY. Nice.

MarqSox
08-27-2003, 08:01 AM
I'm not sure it would have gone the other way in opposite circumstances, but it didn't bother me that they led with the Cubs last night for this reason: Anybody who was watching the WGN news also could have been watching the Sox game, and thus knew the outcome. On the other hand, a large portion of their audience had no access to FSNC and so had not yet seen Cubs highlights.

Also, for as huge as last night's Sox/NYY game was, the Cubs/StL game was even bigger, given that they're in the same division and both in the pennant race.

They had legit excuses last night, I can accept that.

LuvSox
08-27-2003, 09:03 AM
Just this morning ole WGN decided they had heard enough about Loaiza and the Cy Young award so they called Prior a Cy Young contender too.

mandmandm
08-27-2003, 09:09 AM
Cubune has has Rick Morrissey in St. Louis. Don't ask what he wrote.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2003, 01:58 PM
It's A Conspiracy!!!!!

Come on folks, get a life.

There were plenty of time when WGN has led off with the Sox. I watch them every night because that's the only Chicago station I can get here legally.

No question they wanted to show the Cubs in the best possible light because this is rare territory for them. But as long as both teams are in the hunt the next thirty days you're going to see different teams as the lead story probably on a dialy basis.

The only exception is going to be if the Cubs sweep the Cards or rip off an eight game win streak or something like that. Just like the Sox were the lead when they ripped off their win streak.

Please don't read a lot into who is the lead story. There are some night when you can have a legit "double lead," but that's not possible on TV. Someone has to go first.

Look at it this way....1 and 1A!

Lip

CHISOXFAN13
08-27-2003, 02:02 PM
If you are going to start a stupid thread like this, why don't you include what Channel 7 led off with?

How bout Jeff Blanzy in NY?
Heck, they even showed KC highlights before heading to the Lou.

Jesus, get over it. please.

JC456
08-27-2003, 02:02 PM

Come on people, grow up and quit complaining. Who cares besides you who always feel the media is biased? Are the Sox in first place? Did they win a big game? Does it really matter what the Flubs did? Can what the Flubs do affect the outcome of how the Sox finish? Or to that point, does the Media control the fate of the Sox?

Enjoy the win last night, and tune in for game 2 tonight and let's all bring them home by providing positive energy. Please?

maurice
08-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Isn't this the point where one of the media apologists comes to Dan Roan's defense?

Apparently, yes. Loaiza has been the top story on the main ESPN.com page all day. Interesting that the national media recognizes the REAL story here.

cheeses_h_rice
08-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
If you are going to start a stupid thread like this, why don't you include what Channel 7 led off with?

How bout Jeff Blanzy in NY?
Heck, they even showed KC highlights before heading to the Lou.

Jesus, get over it. please.

My point was that the odds of a Cubune-owned station giving the Sox top billing on a night when they truly deserved it were about zilch, and I wasn't proven wrong. I had to laugh.

I'm well aware that Channel 7 flew Jeff Blanzy out for the game -- Les Grobstein mentioned it in one of his posts last night.

Next time, switch to decaf.

CHISOXFAN13
08-27-2003, 04:02 PM
Sorry if the constant (oh we weren't on the front page or leading off the news crap) posts get me fired up.

Who the hell cares?

If we get to the playoffs and win the World Series, I'm sure we will lead off the news. In the meantime, is it neccesary to read about it every freeking day??

I don't drink coffee, but thanks for the advice.

Medford Bobby
08-27-2003, 04:09 PM
I think if Rich King was filling in, He being a life long Sox fan may have had the Sox lead off..............Now this one's for Lip, I'm still trying to decipher what :?: you meant getting the "only" Chicago station legally...........Don't forget ESPN has the game Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:

:gulp: "You can put it in my glass.....YEESSSS!!!"

FarmerAndy
08-27-2003, 04:16 PM
Sorry if the constant (oh we weren't on the front page or leading off the news crap) posts get me fired up.

Who the hell cares?

If we get to the playoffs and win the World Series, I'm sure we will lead off the news. In the meantime, is it neccesary to read about it every freeking day??

I second that emotion.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-27-2003, 04:35 PM
...If we get to the playoffs and win the World Series, I'm sure we will lead off the news....

Well yes, but that's assuming it's not the Cubs who we beat.

:)

:giangreco
"The championship drought that stretches back to 1908 remains intact... the Cubs have lost again!"

:ohno
"I'm sure he'll get around to our role in it sooner or later."

Lip Man 1
08-27-2003, 05:53 PM
I was referring to "local" as in Chicago stations.

I live in Idaho and get WGN through The Dish Network. I can't legally get Channels 2,5,7,32,44 and whatever else is out there who does local (Chicago) news.

Lip