PDA

View Full Version : Weaver sent down

gosox41
08-26-2003, 09:45 PM
Unless I misheard the guy on ESPN News, Jeff Weaver was sent down to A ball. Can anyone confirm this? I'm surprised it happened, even if he did clear waivers. I assume he could refuse assignment and declare free agency and sign with any team for the minimum while the Yanks pick up his salary.

Granted it's only for 5 days, but I guess Weaver is more of a team player then I thought.

Bob

MHOUSE
08-26-2003, 09:48 PM
Yeah he's in A-ball until they call him up with the September call-ups. Apparently he can still be on the playoff roster tho b/c they have two pitchers on the DL. I think that's what I got from it.

Bucktown
08-26-2003, 10:51 PM
I absolutely love the way the Yankees punish under-performers. I can think of a few times where players are sent from the majors to AA or A. If Steinbrenner were the owner of the Sox half the team would have been in Kannapolis by mid-season.

Clembasbal
08-26-2003, 11:14 PM
Weaver had another option to the minors left, so they sent him down.

I am sure sombody wants him, but other teams might not be offering the "Crap for Gold" Steinbrenner is asking for.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-26-2003, 11:37 PM
Anyone still want Jeff Weaver? :D:

The Yankees are screwed, they have Felix Heredia! hahaha!
I can't stop laughing, Heredia is basically a left-handed Alfonseca with 2 less fingers!

gosox41
08-27-2003, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Clembasbal
Weaver had another option to the minors left, so they sent him down.

I am sure sombody wants him, but other teams might not be offering the "Crap for Gold" Steinbrenner is asking for.

How do the options work? I thoght a player can be sent down any time during his first 3 years in the big leagues, but after that the team needed permission form the player and he needed to clear waivers.

Bob

gosox41
08-27-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Anyone still want Jeff Weaver? :D:

If Weaver had to clear waivers to be sent down then I'm kind of disappointed the Sox didn't go after him. I'ver ead where a lot of his troubles are due to the fact that he doens't like pitching in NY. If that's the case, then I'd have no problem if the Sox claimed him. They'd get him for the minimum and maybe turn him around.

Of course I'm probably wrong about how this whole process works. Doesn't Weaver need to be 'designated for assignment' since he's been in the league for more then 3 years before he could be sent down to the minors?

Bob