PDA

View Full Version : Royals Get Rondell White

hold2dibber
08-26-2003, 04:26 PM
According to the ESPN story on the Giles trade (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1603146), the Royals obtained Rondell White from the Padres today, too. No details at all.

The Royals are going for it.

LASOXFAN
08-26-2003, 04:32 PM
I can't stand 'em, but my hat's off to them. That's a good bat in the line up. Anderson is a HUGE acquisition. Like Valentine said on ESPN, a guy with an ERA of less than 4.00 in the AL is a solid, solid pitcher. And he was clutch in the world series in Yankee Stadium.

It's going to be a dog fight, that's for sure.

MRKARNO
08-26-2003, 04:38 PM
Do Rondell and Anderson help? Yes. Do these trades make them the favorite? No. Rondell is good, solid, but not great. Anderson is good too, but all in all, their rotation still sucks and he'll come in and be the no. 2 guy behing Darrell May, who is their only good starter. Appier's a joke who could be injured. Lima time is over and done and Jimmy Gobble always gets gobbled up by the opposing offense. The only thing going for this team is the ability to put up many consecutive innings with runs, but their offense isnt consistant

soxtalker
08-26-2003, 04:48 PM
Are the Royals taking a chapter out of KW's book, taking on little, if any, salary in these deals?

Brian26
08-26-2003, 04:51 PM
I give Rondell until Labor Day before he's on the DL.

WHarris13
08-26-2003, 05:15 PM
This is a big pickup for the Royals. But it is still the Sox divison for the taking.

faneidde
08-26-2003, 07:34 PM
That hurts. Rondell White is a solid player. I am now officially worried about the Royals.

FJA
08-26-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
That hurts. Rondell White is a solid player. I am now officially worried about the Royals.

Rondell White is a solid player, but he's by no means the answer to KC's problems. Call me back when they pick up three or four more solid pitchers.

Also, White has been solid in the NL ... his only year in the AL--last year with the Yankees--his BA was .240, his OBP was .288, and he had 86 SO to go along with only 25 BB.

Ouch.

I know a lot of solid players go to die in Yankee Stadium because they can't deal with the pressure, but White is hardly one of the game's "great" hitters. I have some doubts about him adjusting to AL pitching this late in the season. (See Boone, Aaron.)

MHOUSE
08-26-2003, 09:35 PM
White is good. What did they give up in return? No details were given about that aspect of the deal. White is good, but he doesn't make me worried. Anderson is by far the more significant acquisition.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2003, 09:38 PM
Kansas City will go as far as their pathetic pitching staff will take them. Last I checked, Rondell White can't be counted on to improve Pena's team in that department.

hose
08-26-2003, 10:40 PM
I remember White hurting the Sox in a couple of inter-league games with the cubs.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2003, 10:44 PM
Well the Royals still haven't collapsed yet have they?

I'm still waiting and time is running short isn't it?

Lip

Nick@Nite
08-26-2003, 10:51 PM
Rondell White... he's still around? Seems like he's been around forever. 11 year career and only 31 yrs old. Oh well... here's his scouting report from espn.com; http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=5126

Tragg
08-26-2003, 11:49 PM
Rondell White - ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

I've never seen a more overhyped player, year after year, around the trade deadline, during the winter meetings, etc. The media loves him. A real difference maker, Rondell White. ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

VeeckAsInWreck
08-27-2003, 12:27 AM
Had the Royals picked up Brian Giles then I would have been concerned. Rondell White is good......in the NL.
In my biased opinion, Da Sox are the team to beat down the stretch. It took a whoopin' of the Yankees for ESPN to recognize Da Sox as contenders.
Minnesota concerns me more than KC.

Jerko
08-27-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by hose
I remember White hurting the Sox in a couple of inter-league games with the cubs.

I was just going to say that hose, he KILLED us for an entire Sox/Cub series a few years back. I know we have an almost entirely new staff since then, but he did hammer us. (Sorry for using we and us!)

34 Inch Stick
08-27-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Well the Royals still haven't collapsed yet have they?

I'm still waiting and time is running short isn't it?

Lip

Hey Lip, help me with this one. What is the Royals record in the second half? How many games have the White Sox made up on them?

Losing a nine game lead in a matter of a couple of months comes close to my definition of collapse.

Paulwny
08-27-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
I was just going to say that hose, he KILLED us for an entire Sox/Cub series a few years back. I know we have an almost entirely new staff since then, but he did hammer us. (Sorry for using we and us!)

I wonder if White's performance against the sox gets under JM's skin since White is his ex-son-in - law.

davenicholson
08-27-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
Jerko:
:)

doublem23
08-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Oooooo... Rondell White.. I'm shaking in my boots.

Who is he going to replace? Ibanez? Beltran? Gueil? Sweeney or Harvey (at DH)?

Please, he's a step down from pretty much all those players.

The Royals suck.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2003, 01:49 PM
Because the last time I looked they were still only a game back with 30 to go.

That's not collapsing (yet) in my book.

Talk to me when (or if) the Sox can get a three or four game lead. That hasn't happened (yet)

Till then I wouldn't take them lightly.

Lip

Jerko
08-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I wonder if White's performance against the sox gets under JM's skin since White is his ex-son-in - law.

It might if JM actually remembers that. Looks like JMs daughter can't settle on just one player per position either...........

34 Inch Stick
08-27-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Because the last time I looked they were still only a game back with 30 to go.

That's not collapsing (yet) in my book.

Talk to me when (or if) the Sox can get a three or four game lead. That hasn't happened (yet)

Till then I wouldn't take them lightly.

Lip

As I have said before to this type of statement, does it really matter if I take them lightly?

As far as the Sox go, every game is going to matter now because the Twins can easily go on a long winning streak.

MarkEdward
08-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Oooooo... Rondell White.. I'm shaking in my boots.

Who is he going to replace? Ibanez? Beltran? Gueil? Sweeney or Harvey (at DH)?

Please, he's a step down from pretty much all those players.

The Royals suck.

Well, if I'm Tony Pena, I'd put White in left, Ibanez at first, and Sweeney at DH. Ken Harvey has been horrible this year, and should be on the bench.