PDA

View Full Version : Hummell Officially a Red

hold2dibber
08-26-2003, 04:18 PM
The Trib's web site is reporting that the Sox officially completed the Sullivan trade by sending Hummell to Cincy. For those who are registered at the Trib web site, here's the link: Hummell Sent to Reds (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030825soxtrade,1,5491524.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

delben91
08-26-2003, 04:20 PM
I just saw that too. I must say I always have been a big Hummel supporter. However, in the interests of taking a shot this season, I'm willing to not complain about the price tag for the Sox to get Sullivan. If he can keep pitching as he has, it'll be worth it.

Randar68
08-26-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The Trib's web site is reporting that the Sox officially completed the Sullivan trade by sending Hummell to Cincy. For those who are registered at the Trib web site, here's the link: Hummell Sent to Reds (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030825soxtrade,1,5491524.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

I'm a big believer in Hummel as well. Are we done stocking the Reds' infield?

hold2dibber
08-26-2003, 04:29 PM
I think Hummell will be a Graffanino-type player. A good, useful guy to have on the team, but not a world beater. Not a bad price to pay for a pitcher of Sullivan's quality in a penant race. But the Sox 2B situation for '04 is becoming scarier and scarier, with both Hummell and Jimenez gone to Cincy. Aaron Miles anyone?

MRKARNO
08-26-2003, 04:39 PM
I think Hummell will be a Graffanino-type player. A good, useful guy to have on the team, but not a world beater. Not a bad price to pay for a pitcher of Sullivan's quality in a penant race. But the Sox 2B situation for '04 is becoming scarier and scarier, with both Hummell and Jimenez gone to Cincy. Aaron Miles anyone?

I think KW's gonna try to keep Alomar at 2B

jabrch
08-26-2003, 04:40 PM
I don't think we gave up much at all to get a guy of Sullivan's calibre both on and off the field.

soxtalker
08-26-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

That may be true, but, if so, what are some possible back-up plans?

Brian26
08-26-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
That may be true, but, if so, what are some possible back-up plans?

Alomar will be here in 2004. He's flat-out said he'll play for less money just to stay here. The Chicago media and fans are a cakewalk compared to NYC. If something drastic happens, we always have Tony G. for 2b.

jeremyb1
08-26-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

If it gets to the point that we're forced to go with Miles or Harris at 2B next season, I think its just time to retool. Build around Garland, Buehrle, Crede, Olivo, Reed, etc.

hold2dibber
08-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
If it gets to the point that we're forced to go with Miles or Harris at 2B next season, I think its just time to retool. Build around Garland, Buehrle, Crede, Olivo, Reed, etc.

Huh? Are you suggesting that the 2B situation is the lynch pin for the entire '04 season? If the Sox can keep the current team in tact but end up having to settle for Harris or Miles at 2B (yuck), you'd just pack it in and dismantle?

jeremyb1
08-26-2003, 05:57 PM
Huh? Are you suggesting that the 2B situation is the lynch pin for the entire '04 season? If the Sox can keep the current team in tact but end up having to settle for Harris or Miles at 2B (yuck), you'd just pack it in and dismantle?

I'm saying that if it takes so much money to keep togther what most likely won't be more than a 90 win team, that most likely won't go very far in the playoffs that we have to settle for such poor players in our starting lineup we need to start over because its not working.

Daver
08-26-2003, 06:07 PM
I'm saying that if it takes so much money to keep togther what most likely won't be more than a 90 win team, that most likely won't go very far in the playoffs that we have to settle for such poor players in our starting lineup we need to start over because its not working.

The Sox have been re-building for 15 years,some of us are a little tired of it.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2003, 06:11 PM

How in the world did you ever come to this conclusion? If we're to believe what you wrote here, we would have to believe you can accurately predict-- and thus write-off--the outcome of an entire 162 game season (not to mention next year's postseason) simply based on whether we re-sign Roberto Alomar next winter. Weren't you the same person who was scolding other posters around here (like Viva and RK) last April and May when they overreacted to 1-2 lousy defeats? "Lots of time left", "still plenty of games to play", blah, blah, blah...

Is it too much to ask for a bit of consistency in your posted opinions?

(BTW, nice capitalization. It's noticed and appreciated.)

hold2dibber
08-26-2003, 06:49 PM

The AL Central is a crap division and likely will be for the foreseeable future. It will be very winnable next year. Even if the Sox somehow were to end up with Harris or Miles starting at 2B, if they can keep the rest of the team largely in tact (particularly the starting pitching), they would likely be contenders again. And while they are not a great team by any stretch of the imagination, with the starting pitching they have, they do have some postseason potential (certainly more so than the '00 version).

In any event, the Sox have the best nucleus of "in their prime" talent in AL Central. The thought of breaking that up and re-building (yet again) strikes me as nuts - particulary after all of the good will the team has generated this year by "going for it". They'd flush all that good will right down the toilet if they went back to square 1 (yet again).

jabrch
08-26-2003, 06:58 PM

Are you frigging crazy? Retool? And around Buehrle and Colon who are FAs in 2005 and next year respectively? Retool my hoohoo. I am done retooling. We have the tools now.

AND...IF WE WERE TO RETOOL, There is no way I do it and don't include Maggs. I am not trading Maggs for a box of Jelly doughnuts and a half dozen minor leaguers who are three years away to win in 2008... Screw that... If we can't win with this team today, and we can't resign Alomar (although he wants to stay and play with Sandy more...), go sign Grudzalanek or Vidro or something like that next year.

Retool? You must be kidding? I am not gonna get my bloodpressure any higher over this one. That's just downright foolish. Lets build a damn franchise around frigging D'Angelo Jimenez...

MERCY...

jabrch
08-26-2003, 07:04 PM
The AL Central is a crap division and likely will be for the foreseeable future. It will be very winnable next year. Even if the Sox somehow were to end up with Harris or Miles starting at 2B, if they can keep the rest of the team largely in tact (particularly the starting pitching), they would likely be contenders again

RETOOL? That's amongst the most poorly thought out ideas (and I really don't mean to be so negative towards another poster) that I have read since I have been coming to this board.

jabrch
08-26-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

If Jimenez and Hummell is a "stocked" IF, then yes...we are done stocking their IF. I'd be willing to bet a dozen Krispy Kremes that neither of those guys is ever an all-star and that one of those two doesn't even survive much more than as a journeyman.

MHOUSE
08-26-2003, 09:42 PM
Jimenez has done well in the NL so far for Cincy, but he sucks. Good riddance. If the Sox can keep Alomar for 2nd base (I think they will, he wants to) and keep Sullivan in the bullpen then I think Hummel is a fine price to pay. If Sully walks and resigns with Cincy or elsewhere then renting him for a couple months had better be dang worth it like 1-2 ERA. To me the only bad trade KW has made this year was the Scott Schoenweiss deal. So far he's been as good if not worse than Glover would have been IMO. Unless Scott Nickle is anything to write home about then it seems like a worthless deal.

gosox41
08-26-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Jimenez has done well in the NL so far for Cincy, but he sucks. Good riddance. If the Sox can keep Alomar for 2nd base (I think they will, he wants to) and keep Sullivan in the bullpen then I think Hummel is a fine price to pay. If Sully walks and resigns with Cincy or elsewhere then renting him for a couple months had better be dang worth it like 1-2 ERA. To me the only bad trade KW has made this year was the Scott Schoenweiss deal. So far he's been as good if not worse than Glover would have been IMO. Unless Scott Nickle is anything to write home about then it seems like a worthless deal.

That Koch trade was pretty bad.

Bob

Daver
08-26-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
That Koch trade was pretty bad.

Bob

We know you think that,you post it at least once a day.

gosox41
08-26-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by daver
We know you think that,you post it at least once a day.

Good to be noticed. :)

MHOUSE
08-26-2003, 10:37 PM
Hummel was 0-1 tonight as a PH for Cincy.

Former Sox Joe Valentine was sent down with a 10-something ERA after a couple of relief appearances. Check out his picture on his ESPN profile. Really bad picture.

konerkopeachy
08-26-2003, 10:40 PM
Hummel was 0-1 tonight as a PH for Cincy.

Former Sox Joe Valentine was sent down with a 10-something ERA after a couple of relief appearances. Check out his picture on his ESPN profile. Really bad picture.

Ever notice how most baseball profile pictures are incredibly horrible?

Tragg
08-26-2003, 11:54 PM
Retooling is a lot different than rebuilding.
We should retool - we need 2 guys in the lineup who can get on base and/or work the bat a little better (CF leadoff hitter would be a nice start; new SS would help - Jose's streaky power bursts are nice, but there are two many swing for the fence guys).
We need to address Konerko and the 1B position (count on PK? Daubach? Move Lee?). We'll probably need another starter next year and perhaps a 2B. Backup catcher is a big problem.
We can't fix all of that, but we can fix some. Like someone said, we're a contender in this division by default.
We are playing this year with 2 rookies - they should improve
Rebuilding would mean selling off Maggs and Frank and Lee and MB. That, we should not do.

MarkEdward
08-27-2003, 01:14 AM
Jimenez has done well in the NL so far for Cincy, but he sucks.

:?:

D'Angelo Jimenez has played well, but he sucks? I don't really see the logic in that statement...

gosox41
08-27-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Retooling is a lot different than rebuilding.
We should retool - we need 2 guys in the lineup who can get on base and/or work the bat a little better (CF leadoff hitter would be a nice start; new SS would help - Jose's streaky power bursts are nice, but there are two many swing for the fence guys).
We need to address Konerko and the 1B position (count on PK? Daubach? Move Lee?). We'll probably need another starter next year and perhaps a 2B. Backup catcher is a big problem.
We can't fix all of that, but we can fix some. Like someone said, we're a contender in this division by default.
We are playing this year with 2 rookies - they should improve
Rebuilding would mean selling off Maggs and Frank and Lee and MB. That, we should not do.

What makes things more frustrating is that the Sox have been a contender by default since 2001 and have failed to live up to the hype.

I have a bunch of ideas for next year, but I'll try to wait until the Sox season comes to an end this year (hopefully at the end of October.)

Bob

gosox41
08-27-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
:?:

D'Angelo Jimenez has played well, but he sucks? I don't really see the logic in that statement...

I'm just speculating, but he either means Jiminez has played over his head so far in Cincy and isn't this good or referring to thefact that DJ isn't the smartest ballplayer in the world.

Bob

thepaulbowski
08-27-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

You call sending them Jimenez stocking??!?!?!