PDA

View Full Version : Why to hate the Yankees

LASOXFAN
08-26-2003, 04:16 PM
I can't believe it's taken five months to face the yanks. There used to be a good rivalry between the two teams. But since the time has finally come, I thought it would be good to express some of the many reasons why we love to hate the Yankees.

For me, it's in a word: Steinbrenner...that fat, pigheaded, free-spending, arrogant piece of crap who treats small market teams like AAA affiliates.

Toss in that pretentious "monument park" as well.

You?

FarmerAndy
08-26-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN

For me, it's in a word: Steinbrenner...that fat, pigheaded, free-spending, arrogant piece of crap who treats small market teams like AAA affiliates.

You?

It's pretty easy to hate Steinbrenner. But would you hate him if he sold the Yankees, bought the White Sox, and brought his free-spending ways to Chicago?

LASOXFAN
08-26-2003, 04:26 PM
I would still hate his guts, thank you.

alohafri
08-26-2003, 04:31 PM
I hate Steinbrenner too, but I give the guy credit for WANTING TO WIN and FINDING A WAY TO DO IT, even if it means buying the very best in baseball. Just once I'd like to see Rhino spend some money once in my lifetime to win a WS. Better than 100 years of frustration.

(Mrs. Aloha)

A.T. Money
08-26-2003, 04:34 PM

I doubt it.

LASOXFAN
08-26-2003, 04:43 PM
Come on, you can hate uncle Jerry all you want but he's smart when it comes to money so why should he go broke putting a good product on the field for one or two seasons? Do you have any idea what the Yankees make in TV revenue alone? Steinbrenner continues to block (or at least try to) any attempts to control spending because he knows that will bring the Yankees back to the pack. Their championships are tainted IMO because they can spend $$ so freely without consequence. They can keep players like Williams, Jeter and Posada where other teams would have to let them go, plus add big names like Clemens and Mussina without breaking a sweat.

jabrch
08-26-2003, 04:43 PM
I can't believe it's taken five months to face the yanks. There used to be a good rivalry between the two teams. But since the time has finally come, I thought it would be good to express some of the many reasons why we love to hate the Yankees.

You?

I disagree completely...I wish we had a Steinbrenner here. I could easily overlook a lot of things if we had as many championships as the Yankees do. I like Steinbrenner. I like Mark Cuban. I like owners who try to do whatever they can to make their team win.

In order to hate Steinbrenner (rather than to be jealous), you must love ownerships like ours, like the McCaskeys and the Wirtzs...Now those are hatable ownerships...

I am 100% jealous of the Yanks for having an owner like Steinbrenner.

A.T. Money
08-26-2003, 04:47 PM
Come on, you can hate uncle Jerry all you want but he's smart when it comes to money so why should he go broke putting a good product on the field for one or two seasons?

Because when you only win a world championship every 90 years, it's worth going broke for 1 title.

oheeoh...magglio
08-26-2003, 04:58 PM
Here is the reason i hate the yankees....DEREK JETER!!! He's so overrated, i know he hits over .300 everyyear, but he doesn't hit homers, bat in runs, and that whole "leadership" thing is a bunch of bs. He is the poster boy for east coast bias.

Fisk72
08-26-2003, 05:03 PM
My mom taught me from day one to hate King George because of how he screwed DeBartolo from buying the Sox because he was involved in "shady business." Of course, it was only a matter of a couple years that he himself was suspended from the league. Can you even imagine how players might've flocked to the South Side because of how he respected players? As much as I would like to see the Sox spend $$$ for talent, I would rather sell my soul than see Steinbrenner lead the Sox.

LASOXFAN
08-26-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Because when you only win a world championship every 90 years, it's worth going broke for 1 title.

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

LASOXFAN
08-26-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
My mom taught me from day one to hate King George because of how he screwed DeBartolo from buying the Sox because he was involved in "shady business." Of course, it was only a matter of a couple years that he himself was suspended from the league. Can you even imagine how players might've flocked to the South Side because of how he respected players? As much as I would like to see the Sox spend $$$ for talent, I would rather sell my soul than see Steinbrenner lead the Sox.

I would rather see Charles Comiskey come back from hell and run this team than watch Steinbrenner get his paws on it.

LASOXFAN
08-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

I am 100% jealous of the Yanks for having an owner like Steinbrenner.

There's always room for one more on the Yankee bandwagon

Lip Man 1
08-26-2003, 05:36 PM
I admire George Steinbrenner. He's one of the few owners in sports who are more concerned with championships then the size of his balance sheet.

And he was that way BEFORE the Yankees became the most profitable organization in sports.

Lip

LASOXFAN
08-26-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I admire George Steinbrenner. He's one of the few owners in sports who are more concerned with championships then the size of his balance sheet.

And he was that way BEFORE the Yankees became the most profitable organization in sports.

Lip

and what about the smear campaign he ran against Winfield? You admire that too?

adsit
08-26-2003, 05:57 PM
It's old, but still funny, and puts me in the mood for Yankee bashing...

Yankees ensure 2003 pennant by signing every player in baseball (http://www.theonion.com/onion3904/yankees.html)

Go Sox!

A.T. Money
08-26-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by adsit
It's old, but still funny, and puts me in the mood for Yankee bashing...

Yankees ensure 2003 pennant by signing every player in baseball (http://www.theonion.com/onion3904/yankees.html)

Go Sox!

:D:

The Onion is great!

jabrch
08-26-2003, 06:52 PM
There's always room for one more on the Yankee bandwagon

Bandwaggon my ass...I liked the Yankees back in the Reggie days too...I remember being in Comiskey as a kid, hearing the crowd chant Reggie Sucks...Reggie Sucks... and under my breath, I always added a "not" after it...

If the Sox can't win, I don't mind it being the Yanks.

FarmerAndy
08-26-2003, 07:06 PM
I would rather see Charles Comiskey come back from hell and run this team than watch Steinbrenner get his paws on it.

and what about the smear campaign he ran against Winfield? You admire that too?

Sheesh! Did Steinbrenner sleep with your girlfriend or something?

LASOXFAN
08-26-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Sheesh! Did Steinbrenner sleep with your girlfriend or something?

Actually it was my wife.

LASOXFAN
08-26-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Bandwaggon my ass...I liked the Yankees back in the Reggie days too...I remember being in Comiskey as a kid, hearing the crowd chant Reggie Sucks...Reggie Sucks... and under my breath, I always added a "not" after it...

If the Sox can't win, I don't mind it being the Yanks.

If the Sox can't win....

(insert the sound of crickets chirping)

hose
08-26-2003, 10:43 PM
Actually it was my wife.

For a million dollars? :D:

hose
08-26-2003, 10:51 PM

You?

If I was about 5 -10 years older I probably would have grown to hate the Yankees. The Sox sucked by the time I started following them and the Yankees were not much better.

The 50's and early 60's had good solid Sox teams losing out to the big bad Yankees ('59 excluded).

Did you know that Steinbrenner was a football coach at Northwestern?

Nick@Nite
08-26-2003, 10:57 PM
... because their fans and organization seem to think that the baseball-sun rises and sets solely on them.

:yankeessuck

MRKARNO
08-26-2003, 11:04 PM
Some poster on the yankee ESPN board said that they had to sweep the chisox going into the red sox series.

Talk about no respect

Nick@Nite
08-26-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Some poster on the yankee ESPN board said that they had to sweep the chisox going into the red sox series.

Talk about no respect

That doesn't suprise me.

cheeses_h_rice
08-26-2003, 11:29 PM
When I was a young lad, and didn't know any better, I rooted for all those late-'70s Yankee teams: Thurman Munson, Reggie Jackson, Ron Guidry, Bucky Dent (ex-Sox!), etc.

However, my baseball allegiances became refined over the years, and I wound up a Braves fan by dint of living in the south for a few years. That 1996 World Series single-handedly made me a Yankee-hater par excellence. There was nothing so annoying as Bob Costas announcing the latest ordinary-season piece of trash turn into Mr. October (Jim Leyritz, Shane Spencer, Scott Brosius, Ricky Ledee). And good god if every freaking break didn't go their way during their WS run.

I have fond, fond, fond memories of Mark Grace and Luis Gonzalez stepping up (and Mariano Rivera stepping down) in the 9th inning of Game 7 in '01, especially after witnessing Byung Hyun-Kim blow 2 consecutive games to the "charmed" Yankee batters. That was the end of the curse, I think -- the Yankees just haven't been the same since.

And I love it.

Tom in Boston
08-27-2003, 12:03 AM
I hate the Yankees first and foremost because they are a New York team. With numerous exceptions, there is no city quite so rude, arrogant, and narcissistic as New York - and surprise, surprise, that civic character rubs off on the franchise.

(By the way, the fact that I'm in Boston has nothing to do with it - I'm just here until I graduate college :smile: )

Nick@Nite
08-27-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Tom in Boston
I hate the Yankees first and foremost because they are a New York team. With numerous exceptions, there is no city quite so rude, arrogant, and narcissistic as New York - and surprise, surprise, that civic character rubs off on the franchise.

(By the way, the fact that I'm in Boston has nothing to do with it - I'm just here until I graduate college :smile: )

Welcome Aboard!!! :D:

adsit
08-27-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Tom in Boston

Aw, c'mon... smack-talking the Yankees is one of the things they do best around here, and some of it is really, really funny. I take what I need... :smile:

LASOXFAN
08-27-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by adsit
Aw, c'mon... smack-talking the Yankees is one of the things they do best around here, and some of it is really, really funny. I take what I need... :smile:

I was at Fenway for a game last year against Toronto and couldn't stop laughing at all the anti-Yankee paraphernalia being sold outside - hats, t-shirts, bumper stickers. That's a great rivalry, but if the red sox ever beat the yankees they won't know what to do with themselves.

JJAustin69
08-27-2003, 02:53 PM
Billy Martin and the Bronx Zoo, Reggie the straw that stirs the drink, Donnie Baseball, overrated Jeter and all the media fawning that goes with it. Just a few of many reasons to hate the Yanks. Not to mention the financial disparity that the Yankees are mostly responsible for in today's game.

Hokiesox
08-27-2003, 03:11 PM

Comiskey would have sued Daver and Voodoo and PaleHose by now, just like Wirtz sued the blue line.

thecell
08-27-2003, 04:08 PM
Some reasons I hate the Yankees:

1) Derek Jeter. Is this guy really that good looking? I don't get it. Perhaps I'm jealous, or perhaps I'm letting my hatred of his team blind me, but I really think I'm being objective when I say that this guy looks like a freaking alien. I mean, c'mon. If the guy wasn't a baseball player and he was hanging out in some
****ty ass under-17 club in Rockland County, not one girl in the bar would turn her head unless they thought someone was filming Cocoon 3.

2) Joe Torre. Yeah we get it. You're a nice guy. A good manager. You cry when your team wins. But who the heck picks their nose this much? My mom says it's unfair to have a camera on you in the dugout when you don't know people are watching. Agreed. Yet, you could have a camera on me 24 hours a day and maybe you catch me picking a boog three times. This guy
does it six times every half hour. Buy yourself a kleenex you ugly creep. He looks like someone who might molest my little cousin on Halloween. People who look like him are the reason my mom used to go through my Halloween candy to make sure there were no razor blades.

3) Roger Clemens. This guy's a piece of work. They say he's not a "real Yankee." That the rest of the Yankees shouldn't be judged by his idiotic personality/behavior/mentality. BS. He's the prototypical Yankee. A mercenary superstar who only cares about money and acts like a total a-hole. He should be the new Yankees logo. Get rid of the "NY" symbol. Just a giant picture of Clemens throwing shattered bats at players and hitting them in the heads with 100 mile an hour baseballs. And Kissing Babe Ruth's monument before the game? Screw you Clemens. I hope the monument has herpes.

4) Bernie Williams. Here's a pretty guy. Not only did he fall off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, but then he hit the ground and got really disfigured. And to compensate for his looks, he's got the most outgoing personality this side of Adam Hirschberg. This is a guy you can really get behind and root for.

5) Andy Pettite. Kind of like him actually. Still a homo.

6) Mariano Rivera. Hate this guy as much as any of the others. Maybe he should try eating something. This dude spits and loses six pounds. I heard someone poured champagne on him after they won a series and he slid down a sewer drain and drowned.

7) Yankee fans. Without bias, I find you all to be the most insuferable, fair weather, ignorant fans in the world. Know this: no matter how many championships you win, you have a BORING, UNLIKABLE, UN-EXCITING TEAM. If I was a Yankee fan myself I would find it hard to root for them. May they all rot in hell.

thepaulbowski
08-27-2003, 04:24 PM

The Boss wants to win and will do everything he can to do it. I don't think Chicagoans understand this philosophy. We are used to sucking and we just complain about it and say wait til next year.

Procol Harum
08-27-2003, 05:02 PM
Oh, there are so many reasons and I, unfortunately, have so little time to post at the moment. But in brief, besides the fact that they've won--what--26?--world championships since we won our last in 1917 it all boils down to two simple little words:

New York.

The Yankees may as well wear a "666" on their cap--same difference as "NY" in my book.

adsit
08-27-2003, 05:13 PM
A Red Sox fan with lots of time on his hands contributes this to the World Wide Waste...

http://www.yanks-suck.com/reasons.php

Among other points made here... a contributor credits the Black Sox scandal with kick-starting the Yankee dynasty. Hmmm. So the Yankees are our fault, too!

Paulwny
08-27-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by thecell
May they all rot in hell.

Finally someone who shares my feelings. :smile:

Lip Man 1
08-27-2003, 05:45 PM
Actually Rich Lindberg has written about the same subject and he makes some valid points.

The "Black Sox" scandal was so devastating to baseball that the owners allowed the "rabbit ball" to be used starting in the early 20's.

That dramatically changed the game itself and directly played into the Yankees hands since they had Babe Ruth.

No "rabbit ball," no 40, 50 and 60 home runs by Ruth.

No "Black Sox" and Judge Landis doesn't bar the eight players for life. The Sox then could have forced the Yankees (who had talent) to play the game on their level , (i.e. "small ball) and there are no guarantees the Yanks could do that. Before the Black Sox the Yankee franchise had very little success on the field.

The White Sox were the only team that could of derailed the Yankees because of the wealth of talent the Sox had from Joe jackson to Ray Schalk, up and down the roster.

You could say that Charles Comiskey himself created the "Yankee dynasty" due to his ego, vindictiveness and thirst for profits.

Lip

TommyJohn
08-28-2003, 01:15 PM
Actually Rich Lindberg has written about the same subject and he makes some valid points.

The "Black Sox" scandal was so devastating to baseball that the owners allowed the "rabbit ball" to be used starting in the early 20's.

That dramatically changed the game itself and directly played into the Yankees hands since they had Babe Ruth.

No "rabbit ball," no 40, 50 and 60 home runs by Ruth.

No "Black Sox" and Judge Landis doesn't bar the eight players for life. The Sox then could have forced the Yankees (who had talent) to play the game on their level , (i.e. "small ball) and there are no guarantees the Yanks could do that. Before the Black Sox the Yankee franchise had very little success on the field.

The White Sox were the only team that could of derailed the Yankees because of the wealth of talent the Sox had from Joe jackson to Ray Schalk, up and down the roster.

You could say that Charles Comiskey himself created the "Yankee dynasty" due to his ego, vindictiveness and thirst for profits.

Lip

The "live ball" era began in the 1920 season, that's when Babe
Ruth hit 54 home runs. The scandal did not become public know-
ledge until the end of that season. And was the ball really made
differently, or was it just a change in the rules? (Outlawing spit-
balls, cut balls, using more than one per game.)

As for Comiskey "creating" the Yankee dynasty, what a dumb
statement. Comiskey was no different than any other owner
of his time. What owner wasn't greedy, egotistic and vindic-
tive? Also, you could say that Harry Frazee helped "create" the
Yankee dynasty by selling them Ruth, Carl Mays and others. You
could say that anybody who sold or traded a player to the Yankees at the time "created" the dynasty. Or you could give the
Yankees the credit for building the dynasty themselves. Now
there's a novel thought.

D'Angelo F Death
08-28-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
Or you could give the
Yankees the credit for building the dynasty themselves. Now
there's a novel thought.

Really man. Don't overlook the fact that let's see: Pettitte, Rivera, Bernie, Jeter, Posada, and now Matsui, Nick Johnson, and Soriano are all, I believe, Yankee drafted and farmed and now the core of this great team.

soxruleEP
08-28-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by D'Angelo F Death
Really man. Don't overlook the fact that let's see: Pettitte, Rivera, Bernie, Jeter, Posada, and now Matsui, Nick Johnson, and Soriano are all, I believe, Yankee drafted and farmed and now the core of this great team.

I get really sick of hearing this--the big thing is not just that the Yankees sign the best player available every year but they also get to keep their own best players--like Oakland doesn't get to do.

And then on top of it, we have to listen to crap about how this is the way it's supposed to be. ANd how when some team (like KC or Minny) jumps up and contends for a couple years because of the young talent they have but will never be able to keep, that proves that the system that perpetuates the Yankees power is really fair and balanced and it's just the greatness of the Yankee management and their drafting of players.

Give me a break.

Lip Man 1
08-28-2003, 06:10 PM
TJ says: Comiskey was no different than any other owner

Then TJ why were the Sox the only team to succumb to gamblers and throw a World Series?

Comiskey was far WORSE then any other owner and the players made him pay for it. That thrown World Series affected him for the rest of his life, according to historians, he was never the same afterwards.

Lip

LASOXFAN
08-28-2003, 06:15 PM
Another reason I hate the yankees: they have fans on a white sox fan site.

kempsted
08-29-2003, 03:07 AM

Then TJ why were the Sox the only team to succumb to gamblers and throw a World Series?

Comiskey was far WORSE then any other owner and the players made him pay for it. That thrown World Series affected him for the rest of his life, according to historians, he was never the same afterwards.

Lip

Lip this is just inaccurate. Please learn a little history. There were tons of gambling problems before this. There was a lot of corruption.
As early as 1866 reporters wrote about fixing games due to gambling. In 1876 the Louisville club took a dive down the stretch and four star players were banned. According to an article by Eliot Asinof that you can find in "Baseball as America" that Crookedness had become common place. The White Sox were not special in that regard.
If you check the facts you will find Chomiskey paid ABOVE the league average. Don't watch "8 men out" and believe that has any grounding in reality. I recommend reading "Stealing First in a two team Town" by Richard Lindberg.

soxruleEP
08-29-2003, 10:36 AM

Lip

There is speculation that many games were influenced by gamblers--the Black Sox were just so stupid at the way they went about it that it was patently obvious.

The 1919 Sox were considered one of the greatest teams of all times and they made obvious mental and physical errors that everyone nknew were intential.

TommyJohn
08-29-2003, 02:16 PM

Lip

Other players on other teams were suspected of being crooked, but nothing was ever proven. Hal Chase bounced around from
team to team because of his associations with gamblers. Also, in
August, 1920 a Cub battery (pitcher was Claude Hendrix) was
pulled from a game against Philadelphia because Bill Veeck, Sr.
was tipped off that they were going in the tank.

I'm just tired of when people shift the blame off the players them-
selves for what they did. Other members of the White Sox
also played under Comiskey but had enough personal integrity
to remain honest and not throw the series. The Sox who were
caught were just greedy and got what they deserved.

Thunderstruck30
08-29-2003, 05:11 PM
The main reason I hate the Yankees is because they have 26 championships and we have 2. They can win it all no matter what and we cant. I also hate all Yankee fans who do not live in NY presently or in the past. All these people like the Yankees because they're fair weather fans and the Yankees are always winners, or because they think Derek Jeter is cute.