PDA

View Full Version : Konerko must sit

soxruleEP
08-26-2003, 02:42 PM
was the last time he drove in a run? It seems like ten games ago.

I have no more confidence in him. He is, in fact, the weakest hitter in the line-up [unless Olivo is playing].The time has come for him to sit down. Frank at first, Rowand in center, Everet at DH.

Use Graf for late innning defense at first if necessary.

hold2dibber
08-26-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by soxruleEP

I have no more confidence in him. He is, in fact, the weakest hitter in the line-up [unless Olivo is playing].The time has come for him to sit down. Frank at first, Rowand in center, Everet at DH.

I agree with your diagnosis, disagree with your cure. PK's is all of out of whack again, hitting weak grounders virtually every time up. I'd put Frank at 1B and Daubach at DH most nights, but use your suggested lineups against tough lefties.

CHISOXFAN13
08-26-2003, 03:00 PM
I'd really like to see Daubach in the lineup tonight for a variety of reasons.

I'm sure he's seen Rocket a boatload more times than Konerko, and he's be a real good candidate to hit a homer with the short porch.

We'll see.

LASOXFAN
08-26-2003, 03:02 PM
He's gone on one little hot streak. that's it. He's hit into so many double plays that it's hard to keep count. I've always liked Paulie, especially the way he called out Frank last year. But this slump, season long, essentially, is just inexcusable. Bench him, trade him, send him down to AAA, I don't care. Get him out of the line up.

FarmerAndy
08-26-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I agree with your diagnosis, disagree with your cure. PK's is all of out of whack again, hitting weak grounders virtually every time up. I'd put Frank at 1B and Daubach at DH most nights, but use your suggested lineups against tough lefties.

I agree with your solution. I'd play Frank at 1B most of the time, especially on the road, but I'd still give Daubach a couple of starts a week in the field.

Konerko needs to be benched. Period. Daubach has shown that he can hit when he plays on a consistent basis. This lineup would be much better with Daubach in there everyday instead of Konerko.

ssang
08-26-2003, 03:44 PM
Twenty bucks says idiot Manuel pencils Konerko into the lineup tonight despite the fact that Daubach is a lefty playing in a stadium with a short porch in right and against a pitcher he has seen a whole bunch. Yup, I'd be willing to bet that Konerko is starting tonigth at 1b instead of Daubach. I hate you, Jerry!

voodoochile
08-26-2003, 03:45 PM
I agree. Play Daubach - at least against RHP and put Frank at 1B.

MRKARNO
08-26-2003, 03:58 PM
No chance Konerko sits. He's 6 for 16 lifetime vs Clemens with a homer.

Also sandy might be catching as he is 11 for 37 (.297) lifetime vs Clemens

Thomas has 3 career homers off clemens but only a .250 avg. (13 for 52

Jeter and Giambi have both owned Loaiza in the past, so hopefully the cutter changes all that

FarmerAndy
08-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Manuel will put Konerko in the lineup because Konerko has a good career average against Clemens. It's silly logic really, because Konerko has hit most pitchers good in his career. But this year he can't hit anybody, so it shouldn't really matter what he's done in the past against Clemens. But I'm positive that Manuel will start Konerko based on this logic.

Daubach should be in the lineup, but won't be.

MisterB
08-26-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

I would hope that Konerko's current 3 for 33 (.091) streak would trump that, but this is Manuel we're dealing with... :(:

bc2k
08-26-2003, 04:22 PM

I like it. We get better defense in center, better offense at first, and a defensive rest for Everett. I also like the Daubach option.

To agree with FarmerAndy, Frank puts up more power numbers at home, so let him play the field when away from Comiskey since his power numbers are better when playing 1B.

FarmerAndy
08-26-2003, 05:58 PM
He is, in fact, the weakest hitter in the line-up [unless Olivo is playing].

Actually. Olivo's B.A. is a few points higher than Konerko's, and Olivo never really had a hot streak this year like Konerko did for a couple of weeks. So, as sad as Olivo has been, he's actually been better than Konerko. Not to mention the fact that Olivo can actually get around the bases when he does get on.

faneidde
08-26-2003, 06:41 PM
Why does everyone think Daubach is the second coming? I think Soxrule has the best idea. Everett is a defensive disaster in center and Rowand does a great job in the outfield. Frank isn't the best defensive player, but he's a lot better at first than Everett is in center, and its not like Konerko or Daubach are JT Snow. Too bad JM "won't tinker" anymore, because I'd like to see that line-up.

Hullett_Fan
08-26-2003, 06:47 PM

Home Run Paul Konerko!!!

Before Colon's next start would you post a thread saying "Colon must sit" ...he's been struggling lately.

:) :D: :) :gulp:

Bucktown
08-26-2003, 08:28 PM
Wow, nice timing on the post. Anything to add?

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Home Run Paul Konerko!!!

Before Colon's next start would you post a thread saying "Colon must sit" ...he's been struggling lately.

Hell, if it was that easy, I would gladly make a series of "So and so must sit" threads for every man on the 25-man roster before every game the rest of the season.

:bandance:

MHOUSE
08-26-2003, 08:32 PM
LOL you can put it on the board. I'm sure glad Konerko wasn't sitting out this game. 11-0.

Mo308oM
08-26-2003, 08:37 PM

and YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD YESSSSSSSSSS!!!

mark that quote twice tonight :D

dllrbll7
08-26-2003, 08:37 PM
Dont you all feel stupid now

MisterB
08-26-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Originally posted by MisterB
I would hope that Konerko's current 3 for 33 (.091) streak would trump that,...

Well. Apparently not... :smile:

Grobber33
08-26-2003, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by soxruleEP
[B]was the last time he drove in a run? It seems like ten games ago.

I have no more confidence in him. He is, in fact, the weakest hitter in the line-up [unless Olivo is playing].The time has come for him to sit down.

O R N O T ! ! !
(2 HR's and a 2BH vs Yanks)

CHISOXFAN13
08-26-2003, 09:34 PM
I wanted Daubach in for PK, and boy was I wrong.

I love it when I'm wrong and have to eat crow when the Sox win by 11.

hold2dibber
08-27-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7

Yes.

FarmerAndy
08-27-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7

No, I don't.

I'm happy that Konerko did what he did last night, and even more happy that the Sox won. But it's real easy to go back after the fact and say everybody was wrong. Going into last nights game, Konerko had been cold as ice. Daubach seemed like the better choice, without a doubt. I still think Manuel made the wrong choice, and lucky for us it worked out anyway.

As I said, I'm happy Paulie had a big night. But here's what worries me. Konerko's performance last night will be enough to keep him in the lineup full-time for a few weeks now. This guy is cut more slack than anybody on the team. This is the same guy that couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag all year, and then got his job back after hitting one pinch hit home run. So I'm sure a 3 hit night is good enough to keep him in the lineup for at least another 3 weeks, no matter how bad he does.

I still believe that Daubach is the better option to have in the lineup more often. So no, I don't feel stupid at all.

Anyway, SOX WIN. Let's keep it up.

soxruleEP
08-27-2003, 10:26 AM
As I watched the game thrilled at Konerko's bat work, I knew that there would be reactions like "Don't you feel stupid now?"

The answer is no.

If this foretells an awakening by Konerko--which I have my doubts about--it would be great. Otherwise it is an anomaly.

Let's not go crazy over one great game by an individual player.

JC456
08-27-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Wow, nice timing on the post. Anything to add?

Naw. You won't see anyone who was just talking so negative about the guy come back here and admit he did the job in probably the biggest game of the year. Took it deep twice and they put it on the board, yesss.

Sox beat Minnesota at home because of Paulie. Closed eyes and people who don't understand the game. Just put my favorite player out there that's all. Sad. We have a team in first place and the only thing some fans can do is continue to complain instead of looking for the next winner.

It's a team game and it won't always be Paul and it won't always be Frank, we have to count on everyone and singling someone out for being 3-33 and winning, doesn't look at the bigger picture and that is that player will get hot and someone else may get cold, but as long as they win and the right guys are up and producing at the right times we'll be in the playoffs. That's a team. Daubach knows his role on the team as does everyone else sitting on the bench. Be positive and let JM continue with the run to the pennant and enjoy the ride.

maurice
08-27-2003, 01:10 PM
Some of these posts remind me of the media fools who think that the Sox are in 1st place BECAUSE of JM and not IN SPITE of him. The Sox are not in 1st place because of PK's sickening .231 AVE / .293 OBP / .396 SLG / 14 HR / 53 RBI / 21 GiDP / .198 RiSP in almost 400 plate appearances this season. We're talking about a guy who has had exactly one good month in the last year, while collecting $6.25 million / year.

Replace JM and PK with average substitutes and the Sox are 10 games up right now.

FarmerAndy
08-27-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by JC456
Naw. You won't see anyone who was just talking so negative about the guy come back here and admit he did the job in probably the biggest game of the year. Took it deep twice and they put it on the board, yesss.

Sox beat Minnesota at home because of Paulie. Closed eyes and people who don't understand the game. Just put my favorite player out there that's all. Sad. We have a team in first place and the only thing some fans can do is continue to complain instead of looking for the next winner.

It's a team game and it won't always be Paul and it won't always be Frank, we have to count on everyone and singling someone out for being 3-33 and winning, doesn't look at the bigger picture and that is that player will get hot and someone else may get cold, but as long as they win and the right guys are up and producing at the right times we'll be in the playoffs. That's a team. Daubach knows his role on the team as does everyone else sitting on the bench. Be positive and let JM continue with the run to the pennant and enjoy the ride.

Admit he did the job in the biggest game of the year??? Who didn't do the job last night? Clemens sucked, everybody in the lineup was teeing off on him. You make it sound like Konerko won the game for us last night. You take out his 4 RBI's and we would have only beat those Yanks by 7 runs. Gimmie a break.

This has nothing to do with people wanting their favorite players out there. This is about putting the best team out there. Brian Daubach isn't my favorite player, but he is better than Paul Konerko. The Sox are better with Daubach playing more, and Frank at 1B more often. One ore two good games from Konerko isn't enough.

soxruleEP
08-29-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by JC456

Sox beat Minnesota at home because of Paulie. Closed eyes and people who don't understand the game.

I'm the one who astarted the tread and I return to say once again--I hope this is a turnaround and not a one game (or as it turned out one Wednesday) a two game return.

The fact is that prior to the Yankee series, Konerk hadn;t driven ina run in quite a while.

It has nothing to do with wnating "our facvorite players" out there. Konerko is in fact one of my favorite players, but you can only take so many double plays and pop-ups with the bases loaded before a change has to be made.

Since the Idiot manuel will continue as he has, we can only hope that PAulie will continue to hit.

BTW--because we disagree with youdoesn't mean we know nothing about baseball.