PDA

View Full Version : Giles Officially a Padre

Jjav829
08-26-2003, 02:26 PM
Wow, I'm shocked.

Giles a Pad (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1603146)

The Pads got their man, and didn't have to take on that enormous contract of Jason Kendall.

MarkEdward
08-26-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Wow, I'm shocked.

Giles a Pad (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1603146)

The Pads got their man, and didn't have to take on that enormous contract of Jason Kendall.

Wow. Unless that PTNBL turns our to be either Burroughs, Nady, or Khalil Greene, the Pirates got *royally* screwed. The Bucs are one of my favorite NL teams (along with the Giants). Dave Littlefield just made me sick.

hold2dibber
08-26-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Wow. Unless that PTNBL turns our to be either Burroughs, Nady, or Khalil Greene, the Pirates got *royally* screwed. The Bucs are one of my favorite NL teams (along with the Giants). Dave Littlefield just made me sick.

Looks like a plain vanilla salary dump to me. If Nady was part of the package when the Padres were going to eat (at least some of) the Kendall contract, I'm guessing neither he nor anyone else of his caliber is part of the deal now that the Pads aren't taking on that contract. Which means, this is a steal (unless Bay is an absolute, can't miss stud - but I've never even heard of him before). I feel bad for Pirates fans. What a joke.

Also, I'm surprised that Giles made it through waivers. He is one of the best hitters in the game. He makes a lot of money, but IMHO, he's worth it. I'm shocked that neither the Yankees nor the Dodgers put in a claim for him.

MRKARNO
08-26-2003, 03:16 PM
Rondell White is a Royal

jeremyb1
08-26-2003, 03:52 PM
Bay might be just about as good as Nady. He's the same age and he has good numbers in AAA (.300 AVG, 400+ OBP, 20 HRs).

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-26-2003, 04:13 PM
Great deal for the padres. Atleast they're trying to put a team onto the field for the new park next year, which looks very nice. you can control a webcam of the ballpark on www.padres.com , it's pretty nice

MarkEdward
08-26-2003, 06:08 PM
Well, I just found out the two PTNBLs are Nady and Bay. It makes the trade less horrible, but I still don't like it. Giles is probably the most underrated player in baseball; he is the *only* reason to watch the Pirates. He's a player a young team should build around.

I really hate Kevin McClatchey.

Deadguy
08-26-2003, 08:18 PM
What a great deal for the Padres. Giles' career OPS is one of the best ever. Players like him aren't easy to come by.

MHOUSE
08-26-2003, 08:31 PM
It amazes me how two seemingly decent teams like Cinncinnati and Pittsburgh have been torn apart and reduced to nothing in such a short span of time and without much in return. They've hardly kept anybody and just traded at will for whatever teams will give them. It's really sickening.