PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams/Cubune article...8/26/03

captain54
08-26-2003, 02:36 PM
according to this article, KWilliams seems to have an "I told you so" attitude towards the fans, which is puzzling since the Sox havent won a damn thing yet....

"they got knocked down, got up off the canvas, and here they ar with a chance to achieve their season ending goal...(to win the World Series)...."and Jerry, with all that he has had to endure, I probably admire that quality most about him"

In pretty much any other division in baseball, the Sox would have been out of it a while ago....

all that Manuel, Williams, and Reinsdorf has had to endure as far a fan ridicule and criticism is totally deserved and to be expected...

what is it about this franchise that can't help but to continually pat themselves on the back, when, like I said, they havent won a damn thing???

Fridaythe13thJason
08-26-2003, 02:44 PM
Well, I will note that most fans had totally given up on the team altogether. He does have a point in saying that they still have a chance to achieve their goals, when most people thought they would finish 20 games under.

As for the division thing...I hate when people say that. We're not in another division, so we have no idea what it would be like.

NewyorkSoxFan
08-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by captain54
according to this article, KWilliams seems to have an "I told you so" attitude towards the fans, which is puzzling since the Sox havent won a damn thing yet....

"they got knocked down, got up off the canvas, and here they ar with a chance to achieve their season ending goal...(to win the World Series)...."and Jerry, with all that he has had to endure, I probably admire that quality most about him"

In pretty much any other division in baseball, the Sox would have been out of it a while ago....

all that Manuel, Williams, and Reinsdorf has had to endure as far a fan ridicule and criticism is totally deserved and to be expected...

what is it about this franchise that can't help but to continually pat themselves on the back, when, like I said, they havent won a damn thing???

I disagree with you Cap, I don't think he was doing that at all, I think he was just saying that he hadn't lost faith in his club. However what was he supposed to say, "my team sucked and I was about 2 sec from firing JM's rear end"?

I think the point of the article was to say that he wants to win, and not just the division, but the WS. Also that he has made some bad moves, and that he will probably make some more before he's done.

I didn't think he was trying to pat himself or the organization on their collective backs at all. He knows that this thing is far from over. This is just how I understood the article.

NYSF

Kilroy
08-26-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
I didn't think he was trying to pat himself or the organization on their collective backs at all. He knows that this thing is far from over. This is just how I understood the article.

NYSF

Agreed. I didn't find any "told ya" at all in there. I thought that he was realistic about where they were, where they are, and the chance for success this season. Can't really complain about that.

hold2dibber
08-26-2003, 03:10 PM

I read the article too, but there's nothing in there that I thought showed an "I told you so" attitude towards the fans. He basically said that the team struggled, had a lot of adversity, fought through it, has put itself in a position where it can win the division, and he's proud that they've been able to turn it around. I don't think he was thumbing his nose at the fans at all, nor do I think he was patting himself on the back yet.

In fact, you left out my very favorite quote of the article, where Williams said:

"[G]etting to the postseason means nothing to me," Williams said. "Either you are the last team standing at the end of the year or you're not." Sounds like the same thinking most Sox fans have these days.

mandmandm
08-26-2003, 03:18 PM

Come on now, if we were in any other division we would not have to face those pesky Tigers so many times.

Rocky Soprano
08-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Im really starting to like this Kenny Williams guy!

CHISOXFAN13
08-26-2003, 03:34 PM
That is Mitchell's lead. None of that was coming from Williams.

CHISOXFAN13
08-26-2003, 03:36 PM
I think if I could pick one person to watch a Sox game with and share my frustration/joy, it would be Kenny. I know I lose sleep when we lose/play poorly, and I'm sure K. Dub is a real pain in his family's but after losses.

Mammoo
08-26-2003, 03:47 PM
KW said:

I will know as I walk out the door that we gave it a shot. We tried to do anything and everything we could to bring a championship to Chicago.

Yes he has and I appreciate it! :gulp: