PDA

View Full Version : How Tigers Have Hurt Sox

Lip Man 1
08-26-2003, 11:29 AM
ESPN.com in their look ahead to the week in baseball had a stunning comment about how the Tigers have hurt the Sox.

The piece said that if the Tigers weren't in the equation the Sox would have a four game lead on the Royals and a five and a half game lead on the Twins right now.

The story also said that if the Sox fail to win the division they can specifically blame their poor performance against a wretched Detroit club. obviously K.C. and Minnesota have hammered the Tigers, unlike the Sox.

Lip

Jerko
08-26-2003, 11:39 AM
That's why I got so mad earlier when everybody kept saying it was 'early' when I complained about losing to them. Maybe if we cleaned house against Detroit like everybody else in the division did we would not be worrying about Minnesota's "easy" schedule right now.

adsit
08-26-2003, 11:40 AM
I'm assuming that ESPN didn't neutralize the games Detroit played against KC and Minny, either, when arriving at that conclusion. If they had, seems the Sox would be even further ahead.

Everybody hammers the Tigers, 'cept us. What's keeping me awake lately is the thought that even if we muscle out some wins at New York, we'll give away games at Detroit. That would be on par with our season thus far.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2003, 11:55 AM
Look, it's really very simple. We had the misfortune of playing games against Detroit back in April and May. As Manuel himself explained last month, he was trying to make sure everyone on the team got to play the first half. Winning didn't become his primary goal until AFTER the all-star game.

For this alone he ought to be fired.

Jerko
08-26-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Look, it's really very simple. We had the misfortune of playing games against Detroit back in April and May. As Manuel himself explained last month, he was trying to make sure everyone on the team got to play the first half. Winning didn't become his primary goal until AFTER the all-star game.

For this alone he ought to be fired.

True, how true. Unfortunately, he's being lauded now to the point of garnering manager of the year talk. What a joke.

LASOXFAN
08-26-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

The piece said that if the Tigers weren't in the equation the Sox would have a four game lead on the Royals and a five and a half game lead on the Twins right now.

Lip

This stat makes me want to puke

Iwritecode
08-26-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
ESPN.com in their look ahead to the week in baseball had a stunning comment about how the Tigers have hurt the Sox.

The story also said that if the Sox fail to win the division they can specifically blame their poor performance against a wretched Detroit club. obviously K.C. and Minnesota have hammered the Tigers, unlike the Sox.

Lip

You could say the same thing about the games in Anahiem, Oakland and Seattle. The only difference is that winning on the west coast has been a problem for years...

34 Inch Stick
08-26-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
True, how true. Unfortunately, he's being lauded now to the point of garnering manager of the year talk. What a joke.

And Joe Cowley is getting on the radio and saying that anyone who would want Manuel fired does not know as much about baseball as they think they do. If I wasn't just out of church when that happened I would have blasphemed a blue streak.

inta
08-26-2003, 12:43 PM
c'mon, you can play this "what if" game with so many factors for any team in baseball.

what if the sox had swept that detroit series but then didnt win 12 of 14 in july?

that's just a shock stat espn is throwin out there. until i get my time machine working i'm not going to pay it any mind.

doublem23
08-26-2003, 01:08 PM
Bla bla bla

ssang
08-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Bottom Line:

The losses that the Sox experienced against Detroit WILL PREVENT us from winning the division! That will be the difference and it's the most depressing fact we will ever have to deal with in our lifetimes. 2 of 3 lossses at home and 3 straight losses there just before the all-star break will kill us in the end. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Chisox353014
08-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by inta
c'mon, you can play this "what if" game with so many factors for any team in baseball.

what if the sox had swept that detroit series but then didnt win 12 of 14 in july?

that's just a shock stat espn is throwin out there. until i get my time machine working i'm not going to pay it any mind.

True, but when you lose 5 of 6 against a team that might be the worst team of all time before it's all said and done, that's a HUGE wasted opportunity.

BTW, about that time machine: you need 1.21 gigawatts to get it to work. I know where to get some plutonium on the cheap. PM me. :D: