PDA

View Full Version : Are the Flubs starting to worry anyone yet?

white sox bill
08-26-2003, 09:52 AM
I know, I know your thinking not another Scrub post on a classy site, but just fishing for opinoins here. Will the North siders tank down the stretch? Or, will thier pitching hold up and, heaven forbid, they make the playoffs (along w/us) they will once again overshadow the good guys sucess?

I keep hearing that in a short series, the pitching will win and even Prior may pitch 2 times, almost assuring 2 wins. But then again, Ferry Wood, (Our comeback to Fagglio) may be hurt, taking a big bite out of the rotation. Is their hitting enough?

I have to think that these guys won't be going away anytime soon, hopefully they will fall a couple of games short by seasons end, while we win the AL Central. Yoour thoughts?
Bill

bc2k
08-26-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by white sox bill
I know, I know your thinking not another Scrub post on a classy site, but just fishing for opinoins here. Will the North siders tank down the stretch? Or, will thier pitching hold up and, heaven forbid, they make the playoffs (along w/us) they will once again overshadow the good guys sucess?

I keep hearing that in a short series, the pitching will win and even Prior may pitch 2 times, almost assuring 2 wins. But then again, Ferry Wood, (Our comeback to Fagglio) may be hurt, taking a big bite out of the rotation. Is their hitting enough?

I have to think that these guys won't be going away anytime soon, hopefully they will fall a couple of games short by seasons end, while we win the AL Central. Yoour thoughts?
Bill

Did I miss something? Who has been calling Magglio, Fagglio? I smell Cubs fan here Bill. A poorly disguised Cubs fan.

MarqSox
08-26-2003, 10:16 AM
1. I've never heard "Fagglio," nor "Ferry Wood," in my life.

2. As long as the Sox are in the thick of the playoff hunt, I couldn't care less what the Flubs are doing. Now, if the Sox fall out of the race, then I'd start to worry about the baby bears ... but I don't see that happening.

Hangar18
08-26-2003, 10:22 AM
They have it easier.....

white sox bill
08-26-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Did I miss something? Who has been calling Magglio, Fagglio? I smell Cubs fan here Bill. A poorly disguised Cubs fan.

bc2k--The day I'm a Scrub fan, is the day I'll back Bin Laden. FYI, I first heard it @ the urinal years ago and still continue to hear it. Get your sniffer checked...

FJA
08-26-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox

2. As long as the Sox are in the thick of the playoff hunt, I couldn't care less what the Flubs are doing. Now, if the Sox fall out of the race, then I'd start to worry about the baby bears ... but I don't see that happening.

I couldn't care less about the Flubs either as long as the Sox are in the race. If it's a question of media coverage, I threw up my hands in the air about that long ago.

I have heard "Fagglio" used by Flub fans before, but I've never heard "Ferry Wood." I think the "Carrie" that's been used around here is much more clever.

Jerko
08-26-2003, 10:30 AM
I've heard Fagglio before, but I've always called Carrie Wood "morning".

Eddie Gaedel
08-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox

I agree, somewhat. As much as a SOX fan as I am, I'd still like to see the cubs in the playoffs. They haven't both played well simultaneously in like 100 years, and it would be great for the city. As long as the cubs don't do better than the SOX, it wouldn't bother me.

cheeses_h_rice
08-26-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by white sox bill

Bill

The NL Central is just as pathetic as the AL Central. Sure, the Flubs have good starting pitching, but their bullpen is not very good and their hitting is spotty at best. IMO, the Flubs, Stros and Cards all have their weaknesses, so I think it will come down to the wire, and whoever fares better during head-to-head matchups will come out on top. I won't even hazard a guess as to who wins that division, just as I won't make a guess on the AL Central.

But, let it be said that I am rooting 100% for "ABF" (Anyone But the Flubs) to win the NL Central. Keep in mind that it's been a loooong 14 years since the Flubbies actually won their division, and that if both teams are in it, the Flubbie-related din will drown out the Sox, who were in the playoffs just 3 short years ago.

It is NOT a good thing for the Sox if the Flubs make the playoffs, period.

MarqSox
08-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
The NL Central is just as pathetic as the AL Central. Sure, the Flubs have good starting pitching, but their bullpen is not very good and their hitting is spotty at best. IMO, the Flubs, Stros and Cards all have their weaknesses, so I think it will come down to the wire, and whoever fares better during head-to-head matchups will come out on top. I won't even hazard a guess as to who wins that division, just as I won't make a guess on the AL Central.

Check this out:
The AL Central is just as pathetic as the NL Central. Sure, the White Sox have good starting pitching, but their bullpen is not very good and their hitting is spotty at best. IMO, the Sox, Royals and Twins all have their weaknesses, so I think it will come down to the wire, and whoever fares better during head-to-head matchups will come out on top. I won't even hazard a guess as to who wins that division, just as I won't make a guess on the NL Central.

Kinda creepy.

Eddie Gaedel
08-26-2003, 11:21 AM
But, let it be said that I am rooting 100% for "ABF" (Anyone But the Flubs) to win the NL Central. Keep in mind that it's been a loooong 14 years since the Flubbies actually won their division, and that if both teams are in it, the Flubbie-related din will drown out the Sox, who were in the playoffs just 3 short years ago.

I just can't root against a team if it doesn't directly effect the SOX and their playoff run. The negativity is really starting to drag me down, especially the stuff I read on this board. There's already tons of 'Flubbie-related din' and it's not gonna change as long as the cubs play at wrigley. I don't care anymore that the cubs are more popular. I just want to see the SOX make it to the playoffs and beyond.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2003, 12:09 PM
I could care less how the Cubs do except how it affects the Sox. Both teams are playing out of town tonight, but the local buzz centers on the Flubbies down in St. Louis while the Sox remain the undercard making their one and only appearance in Yankee Stadium against the 26-time world champion club with the best record in the league.

I completely disagree with anyone who says this is good for Chicago baseball. I would counter that it is only good for LOSING Chicago baseball. The sheep will blindly keep following the Flubbies as long as the Lovable Losers are still alive. An opportunity to fix this is being lost, and the Chicago media is definitely going along for the ride.

Fresh from his trip to Houston, I wonder if Jim Rose is going to be doing remote reports from Busch Stadium tonight? It wouldn't surprise me at all. :angry:

GoSox2K3
08-26-2003, 12:20 PM
The Flubs are worrying me. As much as I want to ignore them and just worry about the AL Central race, I do believe that the Cubs making the playoffs definitely hurts the Sox. If they both make the playoffs, the local media would act as if the Sox weren't even in the playoffs. What really worries me is that, if the Flubs make the playoffs, Prior and Zambrano might allow them to go pretty far. If they win the pennant, we'll never hear the end of it.

That being said, I certainly am more worried about the Sox winning and the Twins and Royals losing. If the Sox make the playoffs, I'm hopeful that Loaiza, Buerhle, and Colon will take us all the way.

MisterB
08-26-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I could care less how the Cubs do except how it affects the Sox. Both teams are playing out of town tonight, but the local buzz centers on the Flubbies down in St. Louis while the Sox remain the undercard making their one and only appearance in Yankee Stadium against the 26-time world champion club with the best record in the league.

I completely disagree with anyone who says this is good for Chicago baseball. I would counter that it is only good for LOSING Chicago baseball. The sheep will blindly keep following the Flubbies as long as the Lovable Losers are still alive. An opportunity to fix this is being lost, and the Chicago media is definitely going along for the ride.

Exactly. Everyone has to remember that the Sox have to perform 2 levels better than the Cubs to get their props. Think of it:

Cubs sub-.500 + Sox over .500 = Cubs get press
Cubs over .500 + Sox make playoffs = Cubs get press
Cubs make playoffs + Sox in World Series = Cubs get press
Cubs lose WS + Sox win WS = Cubs get press

The Cubs are still the Sox' competition, if not on the field then in the media and for the hearts, minds, and wallets of the Chicago fans.

WhiteSoxWinner
08-26-2003, 12:58 PM
OK, for those of us who may be looking for a stumbling block on the Flubs, Barry Rosner of the Daily Herald had this nugget:

According to the Baseball Prospectus, the Cubs have been tougher on their starters than any other team this year, based on BP's "Pitcher Abuse Points System.''

Kerry Wood is No. 3, Mark Prior No. 9 and Carlos Zambrano No. 17 among major-league starters in Pitcher Abuse Points.

Link (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp?intid=37859168)

I haven't taken the time to find the full report from BP, but hopefully this could calm some fears.

Clarkdog
08-26-2003, 12:58 PM
Not me.

Even with thier easy schedule, I think the Cubs are going to miss the opportunity. At lot of the second division teams will look to play spoiler. Plus the Cardinals have neve been a cake walk for the Cubs especially at Busch.

That said if the Cubs manage to win that division, the road to the World Series goes first through Atlanta then San Francisco (barring any major upset). They simply don't have the firepower or defense to come away with consecutive post-season victories against those teams.

bc2k
08-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
OK, for those of us who may be looking for a stumbling block on the Flubs, Barry Rosner of the Daily Herald had this nugget:

I haven't taken the time to find the full report from BP, but hopefully this could calm some fears.

I'm thinking Wood and Prior of 2004 = Billy Koch of 2003. :o: Dusty wouldn't be so loveable then.

Chisox353014
08-26-2003, 02:03 PM

The usual rules still apply for me too:
1. root for the Sox
2. root for whoever is playing KC and Minny
3. root for whoever the Flubs are playing
4. root for St. Louis and Houston
5. root for one or two NL teams to grab hold of the wildcard race

StillMissOzzie
08-26-2003, 11:21 PM
I have mixed emotions about this. While I also couldn't care less about the Scrubs other than when they play the Sox (and the Sox spank them 2 out of 3 on BOTH sides of town - YES!), nothing would give me more joy than to have the Sox spank them AGAIN in the WS. I think many Scrub fans would crawl under their rocks and never bother us again!

:gulp: