PDA

View Full Version : Will someone tell Sleezbag it's OK to praise the Sox!

chisoxfanatic
08-26-2003, 08:36 AM
Why did I even waste my time reading her column today? She spends 70% of it rehashing what she had wrote in a column of which she wrote about three months ago and doesn't even really mention much about the IMPROVEMENT this team has seen. She calls the loss to Cleveland on June 2nd the 'lowest point of the season,' dropping us six games under...Uhhh, we were NINE games under after playing that Friday night game in Chavez Ravine!

I can't see why she even has a job! At least don't allow her to write for the SPORTS section, since she has ZERO sports knowledge. Her articles aren't even eye-opening, having the smallest amount of insight possible!

http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol26.html

Earth to Carol!!! It's time to take off those Cubbie-colored glasses. It's OK to praise the Sox!!!

hsnterprize
08-26-2003, 09:05 AM
Hey...I was about to post the link to Carol's article, but you beat me to it. However, don't get to nit-picky about how many games the Sox were under when they lost to Cleveland in early-June. Her point is that she was wrong in giving up on our team, and she's seeing the light about her column. I'll at least give Carol her props on that. To tell you the truth, I wish other people in the press would follow her example.

chisoxfanatic
08-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Well, if you're REALLY gonna give a team their props, don't be spending 70% of it rehashing stuff from a previous column...Spend 70% of it actually PRAISING the Sox. There is little actual PRAISE in that article.

inta
08-26-2003, 09:45 AM
hey, at least she's retracting her statement and getting on board.

now we just need the other 99% of chicago sports journalists to do the same.

Dan H
08-26-2003, 10:43 AM
I wasn't offended by the column in the least. The rehash was the whole point. Besides, she was right at the time. The Sox were terrble the first half, and that is one reason they have such a dog fight to win this division.

Carol has her good days and bad days. I don't consider this as one of her bad days.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2003, 12:40 PM
I don't care for Carol at all but I agree with Dan. The WSI boards were full of the same stuff, and given the way the Sox were performing and the lack of effort being shown at the time most of us thought they were dead as well.

The Sox have played much better but the bottom line is winning the division. That by no means is guaranteed yet.

Lip

pudge
08-26-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic

I can't see why she even has a job! At least don't allow her to write for the SPORTS section, since she has ZERO sports knowledge. Her articles aren't even eye-opening, having the smallest amount of insight possible!

This is the most valid point. Her column is a flat-out waste of space and always has been.

JC456
08-26-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by pudge
This is the most valid point. Her column is a flat-out waste of space and always has been.

Man the lady apologizes to us Sox fans and she still can't win. You guys are too hard and too concerned about the press. You're not going to control them, but at least accept the fact that certain writers post apologies!!

Chisox353014
08-26-2003, 02:23 PM
I'm not really seeing what the big deal is here. She wrote a column that 90% of us here would have written back then, and now she's basically eating crow and apologizing. Also, it seemed like with the day off yesterday, today's S-T was kind of like a primer for the rest of the year. Moronotti's column was basically saying "not so fast Sox and Cub fans, let's finish August first", and there was another column about Prior and Loaiza possibly leading their respective teams to the playoffs. Slezak's thing was basically the "look how far they've come" article, and she just used her old column as a comparison. Geez, if anything we should be happy. The Sox actually had an extra article today.

TornLabrum
08-26-2003, 10:29 PM
I can say something nice about her. Her uncle was a pretty good movie actor.

ChiSoxBobette
08-27-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic
Well, if you're REALLY gonna give a team their props, don't be spending 70% of it rehashing stuff from a previous column...Spend 70% of it actually PRAISING the Sox. There is little actual PRAISE in that article.

When has any sportscaster/ sportswriter in Chicago praised the White Sox its always some backhanded complement. In my opinion the sportswriters who cover the White Sox would rather be covering the flubs. Look at what should be one of the biggest stories in baseball in Chicago as a matter a fact anywhere baseball is played - Estie Loiaza, if this guy was doing this in Boston, New York, L.A. or with the flubs you would be reading and seeing stuff about the guy plastered all over the Chicago papers & ESPN(who by the way some of thier people still don't believe in Estie & still only talk about the flubs kerry woods). The media in Chicago whether they're freinds of this site or not are one thing only FLUB FANS and it seems the White Sox only get the same coverage when something bad happens at the ballpark or we lose when we should be winning. So these people who say White Sox fans are just obsessed with the media only covering the flubs , well all they have to do is read a paper or watch TV, flub pitchers have gotten more pub when in reality only one flub pitcher deserves it pryor. I hope veryone in the media keeps ignoring Loiaza maybe that keeps the fire burning in him while everyone in the media keeps waiting for him to fall apart.

Go White Sox
Estie Loiaza for Cy Young , but if the Chicago media has a vote I'm sure they'll vote for the guy in Toronto