PDA

View Full Version : Posnanski on Anderson pickup

MarqSox
08-26-2003, 07:21 AM
Is it just me, or does it seem like this moron wants to take Brian Anderson out for wine and a romantic movie?

Ever since that day, Anderson has been one of my favorite pitchers. There are other reasons too. He's from my hometown of Cleveland. He's a Civil War buff. He's funny. He has been a huge Nebraska football fan since he was 11 years old, and I generally like Nebraska fans a lot (I've already promised to take him up to Lincoln on a day off).

And while he's not exactly goofy, goofy things happen to him. He once locked himself out of a hotel room naked. He once cut his hand on a cologne bottle. He once burned his cheek by getting his face too close to an iron (don't even ask how that happened).

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/6617793.htm

chisoxfanatic
08-26-2003, 07:40 AM
Posnanski is just a clueliess writer who never can back away from homerism to see the REAL picture! In his column yesterday, he equated the Royals' season to that of a 'Cinderella' story, referring to the Sox as one of the "wicked step sisters." He'll just never get it right!

But, he's from Cleveland, just like Moronotti, so we should give him a break...I mean, I hear the water over there is rather...umm...harmful!!! :D:

soxtalker
08-26-2003, 09:11 AM
What do you want from Posnanski? He is a columnist in a KC paper, he's writing for the Royal fan base, and, no doubt, he's also rooting for the Royals. Do you expect him to tear this acquisition apart? He wants to believe -- just like we and our media want to believe with the acquisitions that KW has made.

I understand complaining about him (I think he was the columnist) when he generalized about all Sox fans based on brief discussions with a few. But this article was fine.

Hangar18
08-26-2003, 09:18 AM
Mike Kiley, eat your heart out...

MarqSox
08-26-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
What do you want from Posnanski? He is a columnist in a KC paper, he's writing for the Royal fan base, and, no doubt, he's also rooting for the Royals. Do you expect him to tear this acquisition apart? He wants to believe -- just like we and our media want to believe with the acquisitions that KW has made.

I understand complaining about him (I think he was the columnist) when he generalized about all Sox fans based on brief discussions with a few. But this article was fine.
It was a fine pickup, I'm not knocking that, nor do I expect him to. But this guy isn't Mike Mussina either, it's Brian Anderson. The KC Star is a well-respected newspaper, and a columnist writing for it ought to have a more realistic, thoughtful perspective.

So what, Posnanski likes him for strictly personal reasons. That's fine, but it says nothing about how he will impact the pennant race. I want to read some analysis of the pitcher instead of this guy's creamfest over how cool he thinks Anderson is.

FJA
08-26-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic
Posnanski is just a clueliess writer who never can back away from homerism to see the REAL picture! In his column yesterday, he equated the Royals' season to that of a 'Cinderella' story, referring to the Sox as one of the "wicked step sisters." He'll just never get it right!

But, he's from Cleveland, just like Moronotti, so we should give him a break...I mean, I hear the water over there is rather...umm...harmful!!! :D:

Posanski and Moron are drama queens. That's all it amounts to. To these guys, things that are good on any level mean God is looking down and blessing the team, and things that are bad on any level mean impending tragedy, fire and brimstone, fallen angels (for Moron, the equivalent of Sosa for a week or so), etc. There is no middle ground ... that's my problem with both of them.

Anderson is a good move, and if you want to write about it, write about how great it is to see the Royals making moves when it's almost September, or how shoring up one hole, with a little luck, could be enough to win this division. But please don't write about it like the second coming of Babe Ruth himself has arrived. That's just stupid.

bc2k
08-26-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
So what, Posnanski likes him for strictly personal reasons. That's fine, but it says nothing about how he will impact the pennant race. I want to read some analysis of the pitcher instead of this guy's creamfest over how cool he thinks Anderson is.

Good point.

soxtalker
08-26-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
It was a fine pickup, I'm not knocking that, nor do I expect him to. But this guy isn't Mike Mussina either, it's Brian Anderson. The KC Star is a well-respected newspaper, and a columnist writing for it ought to have a more realistic, thoughtful perspective.

Originally posted by FJA
Anderson is a good move, and if you want to write about it, write about how great it is to see the Royals making moves when it's almost September, or how shoring up one hole, with a little luck, could be enough to win this division. But please don't write about it like the second coming of Babe Ruth himself has arrived. That's just stupid.

OK, very good points.

I have no problem -- and, in fact, applaud -- setting higher journalistic standards for the columnists. I'm just rather tired of the super-sensitivity that fans in every city seem to exhibit toward supposed slights by the national media or that of other cities. (And in Chicago we have our own brand of this with coverage of the Cubs vs. Sox.)

MarqSox
08-27-2003, 03:57 PM
From a Royals fan:
Anyone else wonder if Joe Poznanski slept with Brian Anderson in the hotel last last night? Read his column in today's KC Star (if you are over the age of 18).

I agree, Anderson is a nice pick up during a strecth drive but the guy isn't exactly Sandy Koufax.

LOL!
http://www.royalboard.com/baseball/messages/71975.html