PDA

View Full Version : On Monday...the Yankees

jabrch
08-25-2003, 11:42 PM
used 5 pitchers. I know they have lots of options, but Nelson, Orosco and Weaver each pitched 1/3 of an inning to get them from the beginning of the 7th to the end of the 8th. Then Rivera had to throw the last out of the 8th and 3 outs in the 9th. I know this is a small victory for the Sox, but maybe their pen is tired and we will have a chance to knock em around if we get Clemens out of the game? (That's a stretch...but against these guys, I'll take any little emotional advantage that I can get.)

ChiSox21
08-25-2003, 11:57 PM
Theres no doubt about that, and im excited about this series.

chisox06
08-26-2003, 12:24 AM
Also, Giambi went down in the 7th after getting hit hard in the wrist with an inside fastball. They showed a picture of his hand and it didnt look good. Not that I wish injury on any player regardless of if I like em or not, but if Jason needs to sit for 3 games or so it wouldnt bother me one bit. BIG BIG road trip for the sox, lets see how this revamped squad does against some of the A.L's top teams.

jabrch
08-26-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by chisox06
Also, Giambi went down in the 7th after getting hit hard in the wrist with an inside fastball. They showed a picture of his hand and it didnt look good. Not that I wish injury on any player regardless of if I like em or not, but if Jason needs to sit for 3 games or so it wouldnt bother me one bit. BIG BIG road trip for the sox, lets see how this revamped squad does against some of the A.L's top teams.

By the time Friday rolls around. :) Seriously, I never wish injury on anyone, but If they have to play Nick Johnson at 1B and DH with Ruben Sierra, I like you chances even more.

WhiteSox = Life
08-26-2003, 12:47 AM
Not that the Yankees really need more offensive firepower, and it would be good for the Sox if Giambi has to sit out the three games, but I almost hope that he is able to play.

I'm not crazy. Well...

Here's what I mean. If the Sox are going to get to the playoffs and go anywhere, they're going to have to contend with some great lineups with very good pitching and really solid defense. If the Sox pitching can shut down the Yankees lineup without Giambi that's a really good accomplishment. However, Giambi has killed the Sox before and it'd be nothing but more confidence if the Sox could hold Giambi in check.

I'll take the wins over anything, of course, but as the road to the playoffs narrows, the Sox need to stay sharp and prove that they can win against any team that is fielding its best lineup. Doing so would not only raise their spirits more, but it'd give us more belief in them. At least me, anyway.

To close: Go, Sox.

adsit
08-26-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
If the Sox are going to get to the playoffs and go anywhere, they're going to have to contend with some great lineups with very good pitching and really solid defense. If the Sox pitching can shut down the Yankees lineup without Giambi that's a really good accomplishment. However, Giambi has killed the Sox before and it'd be nothing but more confidence if the Sox could hold Giambi in check.

Good point, that. I don't want anyone saying we lucked out. But the little competitive advantages, and the day-to-day variables, make baseball fun too. If Giambi sits down for this series, we're still playing, and hopefully trashing, the best team money can buy.

WhiteSox = Life
08-26-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by adsit
Good point, that. I don't want anyone saying we lucked out. But the little competitive advantages, and the day-to-day variables, make baseball fun too. If Giambi sits down for this series, we're still playing, and hopefully trashing, the best team money can buy.

Above all, I want the White Sox to win. I don't care if they beat a team that is injury-depleted, it's still a win, obviously. Winning against the best teams' best lineups means good signs, though.

Hopefully, the Sox get up for these games against the Yankees and come away heads held up high, having taken the series.

I can't wait and am waiting in anticipation, for these three games should be very fun.

jabrch
08-26-2003, 08:15 AM
Cotts vs Mussina...I got a feeling we will see our "Sunday Lineup" in that game...I hope Cotts throws like he did in his last start. I just am not overly optimistic going vs Moose.

harwar
08-26-2003, 01:18 PM
I watched the yankee games on sunday & monday and all they talked about was the BIG SERIES coming up this weekend with the redsox.I'm looking for the White Sox to take 2 out of 3 while everyone in new york is looking past this week to the weekend red sox games.I wouldn't be surprised to see some yankee regulars rested during the White Sox games,maybe we can sneak in under the radar.

chosk8
08-26-2003, 02:35 PM
Aaron Boone twisted an ankle on the dugout steps as well.

chosk8
08-26-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by chosk8
Aaron Boone twisted an ankle on the dugout steps as well.

He was just interviewed on mlb.com radio and said he is out of the line-up tonight. Should be back tomorrow.

jabrch
08-26-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by chosk8
He was just interviewed on mlb.com radio and said he is out of the line-up tonight. Should be back tomorrow.

I didn't see the Boone thing...

But potentially,

Loaiza vs the Yanks with No Boone, No Giambi, No Matsui, and a depleted bullpen from last night? We better win this game.

2 of 3 would be great...but I am greedy...Lets sweep em and send a message!

MRKARNO
08-26-2003, 04:55 PM
You may have to get rid of the depleted bullpen Idea as Weaver was set to A level and Orosco was cut from the team in favor of newly-acquired Felix Heredia and the DL returnee Gabe White. Mariano still might be vulverable however after getting 4 outs and throwing 20 pitches to do so.

I actually wouldnt mind seeing Giambi play us because we might as well play the team as it's going to be in the playoffs. If we cant beat'em now, we might not be able to beat them in the playoffs, so what's the point. I'd like to see Boone in the lineup because he's been bad lately.

adsit
08-26-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
You may have to get rid of the depleted bullpen Idea as Weaver was set to A level and Orosco was cut from the team in favor of newly-acquired Felix Heredia and the DL returnee Gabe White.

Hey, great. Scott Sullivan gets to hook up with a couple of his old bullpen mates from the Reds.

There's also Chris Hammond, who (in a startling twist of fate considering he's on the Yankees) is often underrated. Torre has lots and lots of go-to guys.

jabrch
08-26-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
You may have to get rid of the depleted bullpen Idea as Weaver was set to A level and Orosco was cut from the team in favor of newly-acquired Felix Heredia and the DL returnee Gabe White. Mariano still might be vulverable however after getting 4 outs and throwing 20 pitches to do so.

I actually wouldnt mind seeing Giambi play us because we might as well play the team as it's going to be in the playoffs. If we cant beat'em now, we might not be able to beat them in the playoffs, so what's the point. I'd like to see Boone in the lineup because he's been bad lately.

Put White or Homerunia out there...Those guys don't scare me as much as a fresh Rivera, Orosco vs lefties and Nelson does...

That said, we still have to carry our own share.