PDA

View Full Version : Billy Koch returns soon

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2003, 04:00 PM
Apparently, Billy Koch is going to return to the bullpen soon. Sources say he's feeling much better than he did before, which could only mean good for us. I'd use him in the role of a long reliever, since Marte and Gordon have proved themselves suitable for the closing job. When Koch displays a consistency of good work, he can be moved to the set-up role, not to superceed Marte and Gordon as closer, unless they both falter.

You send down Willie Harris once Koch is re-activated, since we don't really need a utility OF/2B. We have enough OFers right now, and Graffanino is a better backup for Alomar when he needs a day off.

Your thoughts?

Clarkdog
08-25-2003, 04:10 PM
My guess is that when Koch is sent back up for the first game in Detroit, Cotts will be sent down. But will be brought up on September 1 when the rosters are expanded.

Cotts would not be on the playoff roster however.

gosox3072
08-25-2003, 04:13 PM
I can't see Willie going down. Truthfully i hope willie doesnt go down, he is our only speedy guy on our team and we need someone to run the bases when we need a SB late in games.

maurice
08-25-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Clarkdog
My guess is that when Koch is sent back up for the first game in Detroit, Cotts will be sent down. But will be brought up on September 1 when the rosters are expanded.

Interesting idea. Cotts has plenty of options left, the Sox won't need a #5 starter in the post-season, and the Sox get to keep Wright in the pen as the long man. I'm much more comfortable with a bullpen of:

Marte - closer
Gordon / Sullivan - righty setup
Wunsch - lefty setup
Schoenweis - LOOGY
Wright - long relief
Koch - extremely overpaid junk-time pitcher

than JM's apparently preferred bullpen of:

Gordon / Marte - closer / setup (per JM's magic 8-ball)
Koch / Schoenweis / Sullivan - setup (per magic 8-ball)
Wunsch - LOOGY
No designated long reliever

jcw218
08-25-2003, 04:20 PM
If the Sox activate Kock before Sep 1, I believe that it would be a pitcher who would be sent down. Sending down Harris would leave the Sox with a bench of S. Alomar/Olivo, Graffanino, Daubach, and Rowand, thin if you ask me.

I think that Koch will be activated Sep. 1. I believe that players listed on the DL are considered to be on the 25 man roster, provided that they were on the 25 man roster at the time they went on the DL, as far as post season elgibility goes.

MetalliSox
08-25-2003, 04:45 PM
Guys, Rosters expand Sept 1. Nobody will need to be sent down.

maurice
08-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
Rosters expand Sept 1.

Apparently. Most posts in this thread explicitly mentioned the September 1st roster expansion date. However, it is not a foregone conclusion that the Sox will wait another week to recall Koch, since he is eligible to come off the DL before then. The issue is not entirely academic, just mostly academic.

:cool:

Clarkdog
08-25-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Apparently. Most posts in this thread explicitly mentioned the September 1st roster expansion date. However, it is not a foregone conclusion that the Sox will wait another week to recall Koch, since he is eligible to come off the DL before then. The issue is not entirely academic, just mostly academic.

:cool:

What I had heard was that Koch's rehab stint would be over by the time the Sox got to Detroit - so to activate him, they would need to send someone down. If they chose to wait until 9/1 then it's a no brainer.