RF- Ordonez
CF- Everett
1B- Konerko
SS- Valentin
3B- Crede
C- Olivo

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 01:26 PM
Frank walks with two outs in the first. Maggs at the plate.

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 01:27 PM
No score after one inning of play. Stay tuned...

humansushi
08-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Very Nice!!! Looks like Garlands coming with his A game.

Huisj
08-24-2003, 01:34 PM
4 k's already? looks good

Nick@Nite
08-24-2003, 01:36 PM
KC 1 Minn 0 Top 2nd

balboner
08-24-2003, 01:45 PM
Does anyone get hurt more on their offspeed pitches than Garland? He seems to give up a ton of homers on his change and curve. Stick to the sinker Jon!

Shoeless Joe
08-24-2003, 01:45 PM
I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

ShoelessFred
08-24-2003, 01:46 PM
Pitch: Change Up
Result: Rangers 2 Sox 0

can someone please tell this guy to stop throwing change ups. he's gotten rocked more times than i can count on that pitch. he should just throw his fastball, curve, and sinker.

Nick@Nite
08-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by balboner
Does anyone get hurt more on their offspeed pitches than Garland? He seems to give up a ton of homers on his change and curve. Stick to the sinker Jon!

A little chin music will fix that.

Nick@Nite
08-24-2003, 01:49 PM
KC 1 Minn 1 Btm 2nd

voodoochile
08-24-2003, 02:01 PM
Nice job pitching over the two leadoff walks, Jon. Now just stop walking the first two men of the inning and everything will be fine.

Come on Sox. Let's get some runs. Hopefully the second time throught the lineup the team will start to hit this no name with a 5+ ERA.

Nick@Nite
08-24-2003, 02:13 PM
KC 1 Minn 3 Btm 3rd

Nick@Nite
08-24-2003, 02:18 PM
KC 1 Minn 4 Top 4th

Nick@Nite
08-24-2003, 02:26 PM
C'mon you guys, I can hit this pitcher with my johnson!

GO SOX!

Viva Magglio
08-24-2003, 02:44 PM
Whether they be good or bad whenever else they pitch, we can never hit pitchers whom we have never seen before to save our lives. This, more than anything else, is why we are in a dogfight for the division lead. I can only think of one particular game we won facing a new starting pitcher, and that was the third game we won in Kansas City.

Do we have poor scouting? What the hell is this?

Tragg
08-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Whether they be good or bad whenever else they pitch, we can never hit pitchers whom we have never seen before to save our lives. This, more than anything else, is why we are in a dogfight for the division lead. I can only think of one particular game we won facing a new starting pitcher, and that was the third game we won in Kansas City.

Do we have poor scouting? What the hell is this?

As a team we simply have poor plate discipline - we swing at everything and that philosophy doesn't seem to bother kenny or jerry as they keep loading the team up with that sort of hitter. That's my complaint about Valentin - swing for the fences.

If it's a pitcher we've seen and who is average or worse, no problem.
And it's been this way for a long, long, long time.

Jurr
08-24-2003, 02:52 PM
I think we did pretty well against Rich Harden. Ooohhhhh...how easily we forget.

Viva Magglio
08-24-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
I think we did pretty well against Rich Harden. Ooohhhhh...how easily we forget.

That's two games, then. Can anybody recall any other times we actually won a ballgame facing a pitcher for the first time?

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 03:07 PM
That's two games, then. Can anybody recall any other times we actually won a ballgame facing a pitcher for the first time?

Let's see here... nope! As you pointed out, this is one of the reasons why this team hasn't locked up the Central yet. Nobody knows how to take pitch or work the count. The Sox are capable of scoring runs, but they just as capable of doing absolutely nothing offensively.

Regardless of how the rest of the season goes, I think Kenny Williams needs to think about finding players who are capable of getting on base, drawing a walk. Home runs are fun to watch, but in the real scheme of things, they are overrated.

Viva Magglio
08-24-2003, 03:07 PM
GAME OVER :angry:

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 03:10 PM
GAME OVER :angry:

You said it. Well, they just need to take care of business on the road. Of course, that's easier said than done.

MRKARNO
08-24-2003, 03:58 PM
:corpseball

inta
08-24-2003, 04:15 PM
sheesh. it's just one loss. we're still in first.

i mean heading into this past week people were predicting we'd go 2-5 or 3-4.
i'm still ecstatic we went 6-1 and got some momentum going, sure they werent at their top today, but texas was also playing hard to avoid the 4 game sweep.

ShoelessFred
08-24-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by inta

i'm still ecstatic we went 6-1 and got some momentum going, sure they werent at their top today, but texas was also playing hard to avoid the 4 game sweep.

this was an important game, with minnesota and KC playing each other. if you win, you keep you lead on one, and increase it on the other.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2003, 04:45 PM
Did they look as dead at the plate on TV and on the radio as they did to me sitting in the upper deck?

The highlight of the game? Eating a bavarian creme churro. :smile:

Lip Man 1
08-24-2003, 04:47 PM
I've questioned in the past what role the "advanced souts" have in why the Sox can't seem to hit "unknown," pitchers (although Thomson had success with Colorado before hurting his arm...)

This was a VERY big game since K.C. and Minnesota are now done playing each other. The Sox needed this game because they have to go to NY for three with a very real chance of getting swept.

It's unrealistic to expect to win all the remaining games, even home ones, but it's not like the Sox have a four game lead with 30 to go.

Dammit they needed to win today against a team with a garbage record.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2003, 06:24 PM
Sorry I missed Wilkes today. The lower bowl was a sellout so my daughter and I enjoyed the ballgame (and boat-watching) in the shade of the 20th row of the upper deck. You know something, the view of the action isn't too bad from up there provided you don't care to know ahead of time whether the pop fly just hit by the batter is sailing to the warning track or being fielded by the secondbasemen in short right field.

Biana and I did make it downstairs, but not until the top of the eighth inning. By the time we got to the fan deck the party looked over. Of course the party was already long-over for the Sox, too. :(:

We waited in line to run the bases (near the rain room) but then she announced she didn't really want to do it (she was too embarrassed--didn't think she was good enough, the dear child) and we went back to the car. A fun if not action-packed afternoon for both of us. :cool:

inta
08-24-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
this was an important game, with minnesota and KC playing each other. if you win, you keep you lead on one, and increase it on the other.

of course, all the games this past weekend were that important, just saying that while the end result isnt perfect, it's as close to as possible. luckily minnesota won today instead so we're not sharing 1st.

HawkDJ
08-24-2003, 09:12 PM

John Lackey, Rich Harden. Those just within the past 2 weeks. So it's not always a loss when we face someone for the first time, just most of the time.

It was a big game but every game is a big game this time of year. We won 6 out of 7 on this home-stand which I would consider pretty good. Asking for 7 out of 7 is just greedy.

Tragg
08-24-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by inta

They were predicting that we'd go 2-5 v. teams with losing records this week because we had just gone 1-6 against two poor teams.

The bottom line is that we played .500 the last 2 weeks against 2 teams below .500, our easiest stretch the rest of the way. Today's loss marked LOSING the seasonal series to the Rangers. We also tied Tampa Bay in the seasonal series - that's no way to win a division.