PDA

View Full Version : How much credit do you give Walker?

LongLiveFisk
08-24-2003, 11:23 AM
Ok Guys,

Just wanted everyone's opinion on Greg Walker...

Do you think that regardless of who the hitting coach was, this team was going to start hitting eventually?

--OR--

Do you think that he personally has made all the difference? Maybe something he is saying or doing is really sticking in their heads?

:smile:

Tragg
08-24-2003, 11:27 AM
I have no idea whether it's the hitting coach or not.
That said, all we're doing is hitting bad pitching - and still doing it via players who should be shortening up their strokes and working the bat swinging for the fences every time. That dog won't hunt in the playoffs or against quality pitching.
Now we weren't even hitting mediocre pitching early in the season, so it is a big improvement.

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 11:32 AM
Given that this team started to swing the bats better when Walker took over as hitting instructor, I think he deserves a lot of credit for helping Sox hitters to improve. They obviously weren't getting anything done with Gary Ward as the hitting coach.

Several players complained about him last season. When Durham was traded, he made some comments about how he thought Ward's approach wasn't working. Apparently, Ward liked to have hitter's meetings before each game. The players weren't too fond of those.

voodoochile
08-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Whatever he is or is not doing it clearly is working. Crede, Lee and Maggs have all bee much better since Walker took over. Everett and R. Alomar came along later - or about the same time, so you can't credit their success to Walker.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear he worked very closely with Frank to get him comfortable at the plate again and that clearly is working. Frank looks like he is ready to go on one of those Frank tears that can be legendary. He is killing the ball to CF again and he hasn't done that in a while.

I would make sure that Walker is signed to a long deal and consider him future Manager material.

jeremyb1
08-24-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Several players complained about him last season. When Durham was traded, he made some comments about how he thought Ward's approach wasn't working. Apparently, Ward liked to have hitter's meetings before each game. The players weren't too fond of those.

Yeah, I don't base my dissaproval of Ward solely on the team's lack of hitting early on. Teams can slump from time to time despite good advice from a good hitting coach and also, sometimes as was the case with Von Joshua, the players don't let the hitting coach help them. However, in the case of Ward the numerous scatching remarks by players about his philosiphies as well as our dreadfull stretches of hitting over the last couple of years make me think he was not a particularly good hitting coach especially on this ballclub.

dickallen15
08-24-2003, 06:29 PM
The team really began to scald the ball when Walker was out and Harold was in. Harold is the man.

LongLiveFisk
08-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
The team really began to scald the ball when Walker was out and Harold was in. Harold is the man.

You know, a lot of people are quick to write Harold off because he's on the quiet side, but to me that doesn't mean he could never be an effective coach. Right now though, I am happy with what they are doing under Walker (despite getting shut out 5-0 today) :(:

Joel Perez
08-24-2003, 10:00 PM
My two cents is that some of the veterans remember Greg Walker from the 80s and 90s, especially Frank Thomas. That, plus Walker's professionalism, must have garnered respect from the start.

Also, you have to take a look at the Sox now, compared to the beginning of the year. Having a Robbie Alomar and Carl Everett on your team certainly adds a dimension that was sorely needed, some much needed veteran leadership. It seems to have rubbed on guys like Frank Thomas and Mark Buerhle so much that they just get out there and just do their jobs.

Daver
08-24-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk

Do you think that he personally has made all the difference? Maybe something he is saying or doing is really sticking in their heads?

Just to put this in some perspective,what does a hitting coach actually do?

His main job is to watch the batters and offer advice to them,and to answer questions brought to him by the hitters themselves,not to actually teach them unless asked.

A major league hitting coach is there more for guidance than as an instructor,if these guys on the roster couldn't hit they wouldn't be on the roster in the first place.

Von Joshua didn't lose his job because he was incapable of doing it,he lost his job because there were a few players that will remain nameless refused to listen to his advice,and outright defied his attempts to help them.Von chose not to push the issue and was used as scapegoat for the team's performance.

Jurr
08-25-2003, 12:44 AM
Actually, Crede has been quoted as saying he credits Walker for a lot of his recent surge. They worked on helping Joe get his top hand turned over through the swing, and that has helped Joe's bat speed and power. Greg's been a name with the Sox for a loong time, and he cares about getting this thing done. He supposedly puts in a lot of extra time with the guys, and it's been showing.

gosox41
08-25-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Whatever he is or is not doing it clearly is working. Crede, Lee and Maggs have all bee much better since Walker took over. Everett and R. Alomar came along later - or about the same time, so you can't credit their success to Walker.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear he worked very closely with Frank to get him comfortable at the plate again and that clearly is working. Frank looks like he is ready to go on one of those Frank tears that can be legendary. He is killing the ball to CF again and he hasn't done that in a while.

I would make sure that Walker is signed to a long deal and consider him future Manager material.

When Von Joshua was replaced by Gary Ward weren't people saying similar things? I wasn't posting here at the time but I remember a lot of optimism.

Also, it's hard to believe Ward turned all these good hitters inot nothing the first half.

I thing GW has done good work. I also think the lack of tinkering in thesecond half helped the team hit their stride.

Bob

voodoochile
08-25-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
When Von Joshua was replaced by Gary Ward weren't people saying similar things? I wasn't posting here at the time but I remember a lot of optimism.

Also, it's hard to believe Ward turned all these good hitters inot nothing the first half.

I thing GW has done good work. I also think the lack of tinkering in thesecond half helped the team hit their stride.

Bob

I never knew much about Ward before he became the hitting coach. I think it was time for Joshua to go. Thought so at the time and still feel that way. I think he is a solid coach (certainly better than Ward), but much of it comes down to the rapport with the players. Joshua clearly didn't have that as has been shown by the comments that have come out since he was fired about players ignoring him and refusing to take BP at times.

Walker is a good guy and the team is performing since he got here. I agree that the lack of tinkering is the primary reason the bats have gotten better, but some of the credit goes to Walker, IMO.

Dadawg_77
08-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I never knew much about Ward before he became the hitting coach. I think it was time for Joshua to go. Thought so at the time and still feel that way. I think he is a solid coach (certainly better than Ward), but much of it comes down to the rapport with the players. Joshua clearly didn't have that as has been shown by the comments that have come out since he was fired about players ignoring him and refusing to take BP at times.

Walker is a good guy and the team is performing since he got here. I agree that the lack of tinkering is the primary reason the bats have gotten better, but some of the credit goes to Walker, IMO.

True but you could have help the teams hitting by just cutting some of those players who refused help. When you are hitting .099 you should listen to advise.

RKMeibalane
08-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
When you are hitting .099 you should listen to advise.

:hitless

"I couldn't hear what Von was saying because I was all the way out on my island."

PaleHoseGeorge
08-25-2003, 01:14 PM
I didn't blame Gary Ward for the lousy start of the season, so I would consider myself a bit of a hypocrite if I were to start giving credit to the new hitting coach Greg Walker for their improvement.

I'm glad they're winning and that is all that matters. Greg Walker deserves the same amount of credit as his predecessor received as a scapegoat from Sox management. In other words, his actual contributions are far smaller than what he would honestly earn or dishonestly get blamed for.

Go Sox!

:von
"And speaking of scapegoats, don't forget me either."

:jerry
"Butter wouldn't melt in my mouth..."