PDA

View Full Version : Sizing up the schedule

Jurr
08-24-2003, 09:23 AM
Okay. When you look at the schedule from here on out (who cares about Minn or KC..I'm talking about us), you immediately notice the 5 against Boston and 6 against the Yankees. In this first series, I think we'll be okay, due to the fact that the Yankees are slumping, having been smacked around by Baltimore this week.
Realistically, though, if we win 1 of 3 (worst case) we're alright. This is because we start playing Minnesota and KC with regularity again, and the Twins mystique is all but gone. I don't care if we're at the HHH dome or at the Cell, we're a better team than the Twins now, mostly in part to the fact we've got defense and pitching now.
After the Yankees on the road trip is the Tigers, and we would be served well to sweep that series. So, even if we get swept at the Bronx, which I doubt would happen, we could come out of that trip .500 and probably 1 game back on KC.
Folks, this part of the schedule features no AL west teams from here on out, which is the only group that we can't play well, for whatever reason. We can slug with New York and Boston. We can also pitch with them, if not better than them. Rivera's not what he used to be, Nelson's hittable, and the starting rotation is hit or miss. If you've been watching our pitchers lately, they've regained focus, giving up 3 or less runs in this stretch. That's what I call production. And, my friends, New York's lineup isn't that much more fearsome than a hot Texas club.
The rest of the schedule features Cleveland, KC, and Minnesota, and we've gotta win those games no matter what. By the way we've been playing those teams lately, though, I don't see that as too much of a problem. They just don't have the pitching anymore.
Regardless, it's going to make for one helluva homestretch. Sit back, relax, and strap it down...it's going to be fun.

MRKARNO
08-24-2003, 09:55 AM
New York is Texas with pitching. We have shut down texas so if we can shut down NYY, hopefully we can score enough runs to win. The thing about the yanks now is that they're slumping big time lately with their shoddy defense and an unreliable closer lately in Mariano Rivera.

The Red sox are like Texas with a better lineup and a bit better pitching, but honestly, if you take away this team's offense, they're done because they dont have anyone who can pitch.

We all know KC and Minny and what we can do to them.

Cleveland can be a pain in the arse, but maybe we can take 3 this time, same with Detroit

Tragg
08-24-2003, 10:29 AM
We need to go at least 4-2 on this roadtrip v. Tigers and Yanks - 5-1 is what we really need.
No excuse - NONE - to lose to the Tigers.

MRKARNO
08-24-2003, 11:37 AM
The Yankees are a team that this team has the ability to sweep if they play their A game. They should also sweep the tigers with their C game. Let's take this streak to 13

HawkDJ
08-24-2003, 11:40 AM
I get the feeling we might have more trouble with Detroit than New York. The Sox seem to be motivated by energertic crowds and big games against good teams.

TornLabrum
08-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
I get the feeling we might have more trouble with Detroit than New York. The Sox seem to be motivated by energertic crowds and big games against good teams.

Unfortunately the energetic crowds will be composed mostly of Yankees fans.

VaSoxfan
08-24-2003, 01:01 PM
"Unfortunately the energetic crowds will be composed mostly of Yankees fans."

Well I guess the Sox should just mail it in huh and not bother even going to the Bronx? Why bother even making the trip...Geesh.

Lip Man 1
08-24-2003, 01:14 PM
It is unrealistic to think the Sox are going to beat up Mussina, Clemens AND Wells.

Particularly because of how bad they play on the road.

JUST DON'T GET SWEPT, should be the motto.

Lip

TornLabrum
08-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
It is unrealistic to think the Sox are going to beat up Mussina, Clemens AND Wells.

Lip

They couldn't beat the great John Thomson at home. Mussina, Clemens, and Wells on the road? We'll see.

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2003, 10:55 PM
The Sox have had some good luck at Yankee Stadium lately, so I'm liking our chances over there. Detroit SHOULD be a sweep in our favor.

I'm more concerned about the Twins than the Royals overall. But the key here is that we have FOUR of the seven remaining games at home against the Twins, where we play lights-out. We have 7 of our last 10 games against KC, whom we've all but dominated the last few series, giving us control of our own destiny.

Another thing going in our favor is that we have 17 home games and only 10 road games in the month of September. THAT'S gonna be huge for us!

I like our chances for winning this division.

WinningUgly!
08-24-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

The Sox have always hit Mussina. Over the last 3 seasons, he's 1-3 against the Sox, with a 5.18 era.

Wells hasn't faced the Sox since his time with us. In his only start against us since the 2000 season, he gave up 6 earned runs in 3.1 innings.

Clemens, over the last 3 seasons against the Sox, has 5 starts, a 2-2 record & a 5.58 era.

Let's sweep these bastards! :gulp:

Nick@Nite
08-24-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
The Sox have always hit Mussina. Over the last 3 seasons, he's 1-3 against the Sox, with a 5.18 era.

Wells hasn't faced the Sox since his time with us. In his only start against us since the 2000 season, he gave up 6 earned runs in 3.1 innings.

Clemens, over the last 3 seasons against the Sox, has 5 starts, a 2-2 record & a 5.58 era.

Let's sweep these bastards! :gulp:

Mussina, Wells, & Clemens... not one no-name busher in the lot. Just what the doctor ordered for this road trip?

GO SOX!

fquaye149
08-25-2003, 08:33 AM
not a lot of no namers in our rotation either. and e-lo pitching for cy young

Dadawg_77
08-25-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
They couldn't beat the great John Thomson at home. Mussina, Clemens, and Wells on the road? We'll see.

Thomson has been very effective the past month, 7-1 with a low ERA. It isn't like the Sox pulled another corpseball ball game to a pitcher who walked in four runs in his last start type of game.

Clarkdog
08-25-2003, 10:49 AM
The Sox will be fine as long as they don't spend too much time staring at those pinstripes.

The Yankees are a beatable team - they are in no way invincible.