PDA

View Full Version : Reds reaction to the Sully trade

hose
08-24-2003, 08:49 AM
from the Daily Herald:

Angry Reds: The trade of Reds reliever Scott Sullivan to the White Sox may have brightened up the Sox' clubhouse, but in the process it left the Cincinnati Reds' locker room a dark, bitter place.

"It's a joke," said Reds pitcher Chris Reitsma. "Sully is the kind of guy you keep around. It makes me sick. It really does."

Said starter Danny Graves: "I heard Barry (Larkin) ask somebody who he got traded for, and I about threw up. Sully has been my best friend in Cincinnati since we've been here. I don't know how to think of it."

Sullivan was visibly touched upon hearing the remarks of his former teammates.

"I was very honored and flattered by their reaction," he said. "We had a close-knit group there. It's a good core group of guys that went through a lot together. It's tough leaving them.

"You never know what kind of influence you make until you're gone."

This is how I felt last year when Ray was traded away.

Picking up Sullivan was HUGE for the Sox.

hsnterprize
08-24-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by hose
from the Daily Herald:

Angry Reds: The trade of Reds reliever Scott Sullivan to the White Sox may have brightened up the Sox' clubhouse, but in the process it left the Cincinnati Reds' locker room a dark, bitter place.

"It's a joke," said Reds pitcher Chris Reitsma. "Sully is the kind of guy you keep around. It makes me sick. It really does."

Said starter Danny Graves: "I heard Barry (Larkin) ask somebody who he got traded for, and I about threw up. Sully has been my best friend in Cincinnati since we've been here. I don't know how to think of it."

Sullivan was visibly touched upon hearing the remarks of his former teammates.

"I was very honored and flattered by their reaction," he said. "We had a close-knit group there. It's a good core group of guys that went through a lot together. It's tough leaving them.

"You never know what kind of influence you make until you're gone."

This is how I felt last year when Ray was traded away.

Picking up Sullivan was HUGE for the Sox. That's the kind of reaction we all should want in our lives...when we're gone, whether we move to another town, or we pass away, we want people to honestly say that they will miss us, and we were someone they wanted to see stick around.

As far as Sullivan's pitching is concerned...I was really impressed with him when he pitched out that bases loaded, 1-out jam Friday night. I think that proved K.W. knew what he was doing in getting Sully in the silver and black. It's another arm in the pen we can be confident in.