PDA

View Full Version : We Found The 'Get Up Guy'

LuvSox
08-24-2003, 07:47 AM
'Get Up Guy' located (http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2003/08/24/sports/top_sports/b37aae28f798ad3286256d8b007b7f00.txt)

hose
08-24-2003, 08:21 AM
Good to hear that the Sox treated Dan so well during the 2000 season. A fan getting in the clubhouse to celebrate with the players is about as good as it gets.

To be honest I get annoyed by a loud hot dog vendor at the games. You can hear this guy on the radio and tv yelling "HOTDOGS"

I wonder what the decibel level of the the hot dog vendor is? has to be off the charts.

TornLabrum
08-24-2003, 08:48 AM
An older woman once accused him of being a fraud. He hand-delivered her a videotape to prove his legitimacy. On the tape was a shot of him celebrating the Sox's 1983 division title in the concourse of old Comiskey Park.

That older woman is Ella, whom Dave Wills mentions every now and then. You may recognize her as the older woman in about row 10 or 11 behind the Sox dugout with about 100 lb. of pins in her cap.

Ella has been a season ticket holder for 55 years.

hsnterprize
08-24-2003, 08:57 AM
Well...I think it's good that the "Get Up Guy" is still up and about. I'm glad he's still around, even though the Sox basically told him to "tone it down" as the article said. I was wondering whatever happened to him. I met him a couple of years ago when I was covering a game. He seemed a litle tipsy, and he, along with a few others in a suite near the press box, were chanting "We need beer...we need beer!!!!!" I thought it was funny. Considering how the Scrubs have Woo-Woo howling for them, why not have an "Unofficial" mascot with the Get-Up Guy?

The article was touching...it's good to see that a Sox fan still loves his team in spite of not being able to cheer as loudly as he was before. It was nice when the Sox allowed him to celebrate the 2000 division championship in the clubhouse.

Nick@Nite
08-24-2003, 09:27 AM
Why would the Sox PR department, or whoever, want a fan to tone it down while at the game? As long as someone isn't shouting obscenities or displaying public drunkenness, where's the problem?

Can someone, a loud fan, really be barred from the Cell? If someone dresses up in a costume (like Andy the Clown) really be refused entry after buying a ticket?

I'm not trying to sound naive, but if I purchase a ticket (or season tickets), and razz the opposing team or players at the top of my lungs, how can that be a problem?

What are people supposed to do, sit on their hands? Look at that guy with the drum in Cleveland. A few years ago I was watching the Sox/Tribe on WGN, and the camera focused in on him as he was banging' away. Sitting right next to him was some hot looking chick who definitely wasn't into it, which brought a chortle from Hawk. As far as I know, he's still there banging' his drum. He's probably considered a super-fan.

Again, I don't condone obscenities/drunkenness... but being docile is pretty lame.

Thunderstruck30
08-24-2003, 09:41 PM
It was a good article, but its sad how he lost his popularity in the past 3 years. I dont know why people wanted him to tone it down. That makes no sense.

voodoochile
08-24-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
It was a good article, but its sad how he lost his popularity in the past 3 years. I dont know why people wanted him to tone it down. That makes no sense.

He sits in the old money seats in the stadium and is very loud and active. Remember the guy who got told to shut up at Mariners games in a similar situation last year? Sounds like that is what happened to the GUG.

MarqSox
08-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
He sits in the old money seats in the stadium and is very loud and active. Remember the guy who got told to shut up at Mariners games in a similar situation last year? Sounds like that is what happened to the GUG.
His schtick was much better suited for the bleachers than behind home plate.

Nick@Nite
08-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

An aristocracy at the Cell? Say it ain't so!

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by hose
To be honest I get annoyed by a loud hot dog vendor at the games. You can hear this guy on the radio and tv yelling "HOTDOGS"

I wonder what the decibel level of the the hot dog vendor is? has to be off the charts.

Quite possibly because the Tigers don't draw well...The sound of that singing hotdog vendor may have been in competition with the fans if they actually drew.

It's a good thing GUG is still around loving the Sox! He's a model Sox citizen, and I hadn't heard anything from him in a long while now, so I was getting a bit worried.

kermittheefrog
08-24-2003, 10:44 PM
While I was kind of annoyed with the guy's posts here at WSI I think it's great he did what he did at Sox Park. We need more fans like that not dumbass neon "Make some noise" signs. Probably the best thing Derek Zumsteg ever wrote for Baseball Prospectus was a great article on how teams should encourage fans that do things like bring drums to the park and such and basically create a mentality similar to the one at a soccer match. It probably wouldn't work since he was comparing baseball a great but everyday sport to the world cup which is a crazy playoff atmosphere that happens once every four years. Nonetheless it was a good idea.

rmusacch
08-24-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
That older woman is Ella, whom Dave Wills mentions every now and then. You may recognize her as the older woman in about row 10 or 11 behind the Sox dugout with about 100 lb. of pins in her cap.

Ella has been a season ticket holder for 55 years.

Did she apologize to the Get Up Guy after calling him a fraud?

MRKARNO
08-24-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by hose
Good to hear that the Sox treated Dan so well during the 2000 season. A fan getting in the clubhouse to celebrate with the players is about as good as it gets.

That hotdog guy is really annoying IMHO. At least in Detroit that have that guy who sings, this guy is just plain loud and annoying

Nick@Nite
08-24-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

If someone called me a fraud... I'd tell that person in no uncertain terms to stick it in a beer can.

The only thing I know about this GUG is what I read in the link at the top of this thread. Seems to me the only thing he's guilty of is acting like an amusing fool... since when is that against the law?

I've been to Comiskey only once, and that was years ago... so I never had the opportunity to see GUG in action.

If someone at the park is annoying, just ignore them.

jortafan
08-25-2003, 08:43 AM
I actually had the distinct pleasure once of sitting in the seat directly in front of the Get Up guy. Outside of his early schtick trying to get people to give the Sox a standing ovation, I remember he and his buddies who share a season ticket package as being rather well behaved. They weren't excessively loud, and were incredibly knowledgeable about the Sox and the game. The Sox should wish they had more fans like him.

I can't help but think that anyone who is "bothered" by this guy seriously needs to get a life.

Hangar18
08-25-2003, 08:50 AM
I almost forgot.....This guy was in KC while we were there too...

Kilroy
08-25-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
I can't help but think that anyone who is "bothered" by this guy seriously needs to get a life.

While I completely agree w/ you, unfortunatley, if there were complaints, and I don't doubt that there were, the Sox have to accommodate those who are complaining.

I've seen it happen with others, not the Get up Guy. A couple fellas were just having a great time, yelling at the Yankees who were in that day, making up little rhymes, heckling, the whole bit. While they were noisy, they were completely G rated, PG at worst.

Someone complained, and they were asked to keep it down. We all booed and so on, but that's the way it goes. One sorry ass whiner can spoil the fun.

Hopefully, Get up guy will be resurrected come playoff time...

doogiec
08-25-2003, 12:53 PM
I think a lot of the negative attitude pointed at the GUG was from fans who assumed this guy was jumping on the bandwagon since he "went public" around the same time as the Sox got hot in 2000.

Whenever the Sox win, a lot of people jump on the bandwagon and are generally despised by the fans who are there all year. The GUG was thought of by most people as a bandwagon jumper, probably unfairly.

Interestingly, some of the fans who were in Minnesota for the clincher that year claimed that the GUG "forced" the Sox to pay his way for road trips to Detroit and Minn that year by threatening to trash the Sox with the media should they refuse to do so. While I have always assumed that story was made up by those who hated the GUG from the beginning, I now have to wonder based on the way the relationship thawed immediately thereafter if there wasn't some problem no one is talking about.

In general, Sox fans tend to respond well when team play merits it. We probably don't need someone telling us when to applaud.

npdempse
08-25-2003, 01:00 PM
I REALLY miss hearing him during TV broadcasts. I only started religiously watching games in 2001, and definitely noticed him frequently yelling "Lets go White Sooooxxx!!!" His absence in subsequent seasons is notable, as you now mostly hear a bunch of morons dropping f-bombs at every opportunity. The TV producers should just turn off the mics around home plate now, except to hear the ball hit the glove or bat.

MarqSox
08-25-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
I REALLY miss hearing him during TV broadcasts. I only started religiously watching games in 2001, and definitely noticed him frequently yelling "Lets go White Sooooxxx!!!" His absence in subsequent seasons is notable, as you now mostly hear a bunch of morons dropping f-bombs at every opportunity. The TV producers should just turn off the mics around home plate now, except to hear the ball hit the glove or bat.
When the games are on WGN, it sounds like they already have.

alohafri
08-25-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by doogiec
I think a lot of the negative attitude pointed at the GUG was from fans who assumed this guy was jumping on the bandwagon since he "went public" around the same time as the Sox got hot in 2000.

Whenever the Sox win, a lot of people jump on the bandwagon and are generally despised by the fans who are there all year. The GUG was thought of by most people as a bandwagon jumper, probably unfairly.

Interestingly, some of the fans who were in Minnesota for the clincher that year claimed that the GUG "forced" the Sox to pay his way for road trips to Detroit and Minn that year by threatening to trash the Sox with the media should they refuse to do so. While I have always assumed that story was made up by those who hated the GUG from the beginning, I now have to wonder based on the way the relationship thawed immediately thereafter if there wasn't some problem no one is talking about.

In general, Sox fans tend to respond well when team play merits it. We probably don't need someone telling us when to applaud.

I met Dan back in '00 and have talked to him several times over the years--most recently I saw and talked to him after a game about a month ago. Once when he was tailgating before a game, he invited anyone who stopped by his truck to partake in the feast he was BBQing (and that guy can cook!!). He has always struck me as a diehard fan with a huge heart (to match his huge body) and no way would I ever think he would try and "force" the Sox to pay his way for anything. I've heard people complain about him, perhaps it is because his seats are in a mamby-pamby section where the high-falutin "fans" can't hear their cell phone converstaions over his loud and robust yelling. He probably WOULD be better off in the bleachers where he might get drowned out by the other screaming fans :smile: ...anyway, those of us who have actually met the guy can appreciate how he's really a true fan, and I wish there were more like him!

(Mrs. Aloha)

SouthSideHitman
08-25-2003, 06:19 PM
I enjoyed the GUG in late 2000 when I went to the first home game after they clinched against Boston and I loved his act. But what really surprised me was that the next year I found out that one of the english teacher's husband was the GUG. I talked to her once and she just said how fun it was for him but that he wasn't doing it anymore. More great Sox PR moves.

jabrch
08-25-2003, 06:28 PM
This guy was no Robin Ficker (the Washington Bullets fan who used to TORTURE opponents from his seats right behind the visitors bench)...This guys was cheering for the Sox...

I bet one of the Chairman's friends sat in the same section as GUG and was complaining to Jerry. That's sad...

We need more traditions like him. Not phony, made up ones...but real ones...

Bring back GUG...and bring back Ribbie and Roobarb also.

TornLabrum
08-25-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

Ella apologizes for nothing! But she got him to join the WCSF at SoxFest when all the Sox people were ignoring him that year.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-25-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

Bring back GUG...and bring back Ribbie and Roobarb also.

Would this be a good time to mention I won a pair of eBay auctions for a set of vintage Ribbie and Roobarb plush toys? :smile:

:R&R
"Do not accept imitations!"

jabrch
08-25-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Would this be a good time to mention I won a pair of eBay auctions for a set of vintage Ribbie and Roobarb plush toys? :smile:

Awesome!!!! I really wish we still had those guys.

TornLabrum
08-25-2003, 08:00 PM

PHG, you have my deepest, heartfelt sympathy.

We attended a Sox Caravan in Morris when Jeff was about 5 or 6 years old. Ribbie and Roobarb were in attendance. Jeff thought they were lame.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-25-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
PHG, you have my deepest, heartfelt sympathy.

We attended a Sox Caravan in Morris when Jeff was about 5 or 6 years old. Ribbie and Roobarb were in attendance. Jeff thought they were lame.

They look great sitting side by side, propped up in my vintage Old Comiskey chair. :smile:

Now if I could only locate their trike...

"And we're great for helping wash your car, too!"

TornLabrum
08-25-2003, 08:36 PM
They look great sitting side by side, propped up in my vintage Old Comiskey chair. :smile:

Now if I could only locate their trike...

"And we're great for helping wash your car, too!"

I'd prefer a Bill Veeck Martian action figure myself.

A.T. Money
08-26-2003, 01:24 AM
I saw Get Up Guy at the Monday night game (8/4) vs the Royals. I noticed him in section 130 I think, 20th row. I told my girlfriend about him. He was yelling for fans to get up.

I told her that the camera would acknowledge him and Hawk and DJ would say "There's Get Up Guy!"

Obviously, they don't acknowledge him anymore. Bummer. It's sad the Sox had to turn their back on him. He wasn't looking for money or publicity. Lame.