PDA

View Full Version : unsung hero: brian daubach

inta
08-24-2003, 03:50 AM
i think this guy deserves some credit for being an unsung hero on the sox 2003 roster.

the small blurb about him in today's cubbune really has me respecting this guy for his koch-like quality to accept lower playing time in view of the bigger picture.
he could easily bring up how paul konerko has been an utter failure this year and how he deserves the spot more, but he hasn't.

anyhoo, hats off to brian D for this thread.

:gulp:

i hope the sox make the playoffs and he becomes one of those "where did this guy come from" heros of the series.
truely a class act.

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 07:41 AM
I agree. Daubach has accepted his role, and he has been willing to do whatever it takes to the help the club. After two years of listening to Royce Clayton bitch and moan about his playing time, it's nice to see someone around who is more concerned with the big picture, as opposed to smaller issues.

LongLiveFisk
08-24-2003, 10:14 AM
I can agree with you here.

I always did like Brian on the BoSox-seemed like everytime I saw him, he was killing the ball. Of course, he did get more regular playing time when Manny Ramirez went down with an injury. He really has not had the opportunity to step in for someone more regularly due injury this year (the Sox hitters have managed to stay pretty healthy for the most part this year)-but that one stretch that he stepped in for Konerko while he was struggling horribly, you'd have to say that Brian really came through for the team. He went from about a .100 avg to the .250s in like two weeks if I remember correctly, so that was big. He hasn't been hitting great lately, but he is streaky and probably due for some big swings again.

On a side note, he has been the one taking the lineup card to the home plate ump to start every game, and the Sox have been winning. Yes, these baseball players are superstitious :cool:

FanOf14
08-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Daubach rocks!! :D: I liked this guy since well before he came to the Sox. I agree that he deserves the playoff spot (if there is one - trying to protect against a jinx) before Konerko easily. Konerko needs to pull his head out of his ass and quit trying so damn hard to prove he deserved (I, too, think the Sox gave him way too much in this contract - moneywise not year wise) that stupid contract. I really don't think Konerko deserves to get into a game again this year unless he is a late inning replacement that won't see an at-bat. Keep Dauber in the game.

WHarris13
08-24-2003, 10:43 AM
Daubach has a .371 OBP, which is one of the tops on our team.

voodoochile
08-24-2003, 01:42 PM
I want to know why he isn't playing today? I mean with him having played yesterday and done well and with a RHP on the mound why not?

Turns out his parents drove up to see the game yesterday, which is probably the reason he played in the first place. Does Konerko have pictures of Jerry and a sheep doing strange and perverted acts?

:walnuts
"No, but my Dad married Jerry's other sister last year. I get ice cream all the time now. Right, Uncle Jerry?"

:jerry
"Shhhh... can't be giving away all my secrets now, little Paulie. I just wish the Daubach's lived in Maine and I then I could play you all the time. Say something bad about Frank again for your uncle will you? I just love it when you criticize the big man..."

"Whatever you say, Uncle Jerry. Frank is a poo-poo butt and he can't carry my jock when it comes to playing first base. My defense is so good that it renders the idea of playing Frank at first laughable. He sucks big time and is whiny too..."

"That's my boy... now let's go get that ice-cream cone. Two scoops today, you've earned it with those comments... You make Uncle Jerry so happy..."

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I want to know why he isn't playing today? I mean with him having played yesterday and done well and with a RHP on the mound why not?

Turns out his parents drove up to see the game yesterday, which is probably the reason he played in the first place. Does Konerko have pictures of Jerry and a sheep doing strange and perverted acts?

"No, but my Dad married Jerry's other sister last year. I get ice cream all the time now. Right, Uncle Jerry?"

"Shhhh... can't be giving away all my secrets now, little Paulie. I just wish the Daubach's lived in Maine and I then I could play you all the time. Say something bad about Frank again for your uncle will you? I just love it when you criticize the big man..."

"Whatever you say, Uncle Jerry. Frank is a poo-poo butt and he can't carry my jock when it comes to playing first base. My defense is so good that it renders the idea of playing Frank at first laughable. He sucks big time and is whiny too..."

"That's my boy... now let's go get that ice-cream cone. Two scoops today, you've earned it with those comments... You make Uncle Jerry so happy..."

This would be funnier if it weren't so close to the truth.

soxrme
08-24-2003, 05:54 PM
I also thought he would be playing today. He was on base twice yesterday and Paulie is not hitting again. JM thinking I guess :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
I also thought he would be playing today. He was on base twice yesterday and Paulie is not hitting again. JM thinking I guess :smile:

Daubach got to play twice this past week, and that is about the maximum he can expect the remainder of the year. Manuel's mind is made up and nothing short of dynamite is going to knock Paul Konerko's name off the lineup card Manuel has filled out for the remainder of the season. The guy is the worst everyday firstbasemen in the American League. Combined with his boxcar salary, slow feet, and below-average defense, he has become an embarrassment to the franchise.

Why don't we just bring Mike Squires out of retirement and get it over with already?

:KW
"Don't be crazy. We didn't sign Squires for $8 million!"

"As a time-saving device, I wrote Paul's name on a blank lineup card in the #6 slot playing first base -- using an ink pen, of course -- then ran off about 40 copies on the copy machine in my office."

LauraJ14
08-24-2003, 07:21 PM
Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald has a note in his Sunday column
about Brian Daubach being an unhappy camper with the Sox this year and don't expect him to be around next year. He also mentions that Daubach thinks he should have played more when Konerko was struggling.

voodoochile
08-24-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald has a note in his Sunday column
about Brian Daubach being an unhappy camper with the Sox this year and don't expect him to be around next year. He also mentions that Daubach thinks he should have played more when Konerko was struggling.

He should be playing more NOW! Oh wait, same thing...

LauraJ14
08-24-2003, 07:32 PM
I guess my question with Daubach is, he signed with the White Sox knowing that Frank is the DH, Maggs is RF, Lee is LF and Konerko is the 1B. When did he think he was going to play? With the history of those 4 players, which one are you taking out of the lineup? When the season started, I would say none of them. As the season has gone on, Dabauch could make the case for playing 1st for Konerko. But thats it.
Mags leads the team in BA, Carlos in RBI and Frank in HR so I want them all in the lineup not Daubach.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
I guess my question with Daubach is, he signed with the White Sox knowing that Frank is the DH, Maggs is RF, Lee is LF and Konerko is the 1B. When did he think he was going to play? With the history of those 4 players, which one are you taking out of the lineup? When the season started, I would say none of them. As the season has gone on, Dabauch could make the case for playing 1st for Konerko. But thats it.
Mags leads the team in BA, Carlos in RBI and Frank in HR so I want them all in the lineup not Daubach.

Yours is a good point, Laura. Daubach knew his role was a backup when he signed last winter. I'm guessing the Sox made him the best financial offer. Still, he couldn't have predicted that Paul Konerko would be this awful for most of five months straight. If he has any pride or confidence in his own ability, I think the rest of us can understand his frustration.

TornLabrum
08-24-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Yours is a good point, Laura. Daubach knew his role was a backup when he signed last winter. I'm guessing the Sox made him the best financial offer. Still, he couldn't have predicted that Paul Konerko would be this awful for most of five months straight. If he has any pride or confidence in his own ability, I think the rest of us can understand his frustration.

Interesting. Two writers on two different papers. The Cubune(?) writer painted it postitively and the Herald writer painted it negatively.

Deadguy
08-25-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

It's interesting that the Sox were able to pick up Daubach for just $450,000.

Compare his OPS numbers to Konerko, and prorate his production over the same number of PAs that Konerko has had since 1999, and he's not that far off. That tells you that either Daubach is very underrated and underpaid, or that the Sox made a mistake in giving Konerko a huge contract extension. The only difference in that Konerko is 4 years younger, and I'm guessing the Sox expected Konerko to actually improve on what he did last year, instead of becoming the worst everyday player in the AL. You can't really blame Daubach for being upset when he is making much less than Konerko and getting shafted in playing time when he has been pretty close to the player that Konerko has been throughout his career.

If a player like Daubach is that easy to pick up, that tells you that Konerko is very expendable, yet other teams might have little interest in him, especially since he has 17 million dollars left on his contract.