PDA

View Full Version : Crede is smokin'

MHOUSE
08-24-2003, 01:00 AM
Seems like the last few games have seen Joe Crede smoking the ball. He's had a few multi-hit games and some homeruns. He's been streaky, but if he ever gets some consistency he could be real good. The defense is there and he seems like a great kid. Him hitting regularly would be HUGE. His average is up from .230s to .257 after tonight. Go Joe!

inta
08-24-2003, 03:59 AM
i'll agree with this.

he really seems to turn it on when the weather starts to cool.

our own mr. august/september.

i really like this kid, his defense has been a bit shaky at times, but other times he's shown great instincts.
a great bat as of late doesnt hurt at all.

Shoeless Joe
08-24-2003, 08:32 AM
Joe has definitely turned it on when it counts. I remember when he was also on a full month tear last season. I expected him to have a huge season but that hasn't been the case. His defense, however, has been there all season long. And now to have yet another hot bat heating up for us in a pennant chase is fantastic.

And just to add some stats to his revival:
He's hitting .342 so far in the second half and he's batting .391 in August.

WinningUgly!
08-24-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by inta

i really like this kid, his defense has been a bit shaky at times, but other times he's shown great instincts.

He's the 5th best AL 3B, based on his .956 fielding%, with quite a few more chances than the top 2 guys (Randa & Koskie).

Tragg
08-24-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
He's the 5th best AL 3B, based on his .956 fielding%, with quite a few more chances than the top 2 guys (Randa & Koskie).
He still needs to learn the strike zone - his obp is really bad. He showed good power in his stint last year, and it's coming around this year.
I like his D.
Definitely a keeper; so is Olivo, no matter what he bats (although improvement would be nice).

jabrch
08-24-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
He still needs to learn the strike zone - his obp is really bad. He showed good power in his stint last year, and it's coming around this year.
I like his D.
Definitely a keeper; so is Olivo, no matter what he bats (although improvement would be nice).

The guys at the bottom of the order have all been hitting recently. Valentin has been mashing... Crede has been drving the ball. Olivo is slumping, but I still like him. Crede stepping up will both help Valentin as well as Olivo and put guys on base for the top of the order... Crede could be as important as anyone if we are going to make a run at this.

TheRockinMT
08-24-2003, 08:45 PM
I agree that Crede needs to concentrate on learning the strike zone, but I think he has improved a lot since the first of the year. I remember that on strike two he went after every low and outside pitch he saw. It was pretty pathetic to see his rear end stick out as far as it did when he reached for that sucker pitch. The swing was also pretty long. Now I am seeing better pitch selction, pateince and a short quick swing. Results are obvious. I like Joe Crede and think he will be a good 3rd baseman for the Sox for a long time.

Joel Perez
08-24-2003, 08:54 PM
Wonder where all of the Crede bashers are at now?
Keep this up, Joe! Looks like some of the professionalism from the veterans, plus some extra time in BP w/Greg Walker is helping him out.

Definitely a keeper.

TornLabrum
08-24-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
Keep this up, Joe! Looks like some of the professionalism from the veterans, plus some extra time in BP w/Greg Walker is helping him out.

Definitely a keeper.

I said at the start of the year, "He won't make you forget Robin Ventura, but he will make you remember Joe Crede." I stand by that statement.

bc2k
08-24-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez

Definitely a keeper.

The Crede bashers are still here and we're planning a "Crede's Crappy" club to oppose the Lique-like "Crede's Crew" in Center Field. This kid has no balls. He wimps out on foul popups at the dugout/wall. He doesn't get tough in pressure situations--we can't count on him. His bat is too heavy, his swing too slow, his mannerisms too dorky.

He aims the ball to first, takes too long and slow of a step, and can't field a bunt without his glove.

I'm impressed at his batting average since the break, I wasn't aware it was that high.

I'd rather have Jeff Weaver.

EDIT: And he mumbles, which is another sign of weakness. Puss.

Dadawg_77
08-24-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
The Crede bashers are still here and we're planning a "Crede's Crappy" club to oppose the Lique-like "Crede's Crew" in Center Field. This kid has no balls. He wimps out on foul popups at the dugout/wall. He doesn't get tough in pressure situations--we can't count on him. His bat is too heavy, his swing too slow, his mannerisms too dorky.

He aims the ball to first, takes too long and slow of a step, and can't field a bunt without his glove.

I'm impressed at his batting average since the break, I wasn't aware it was that high.

EDIT: And he mumbles, which is another sign of weakness. Puss.

Is there anyone on the Sox you like?

bc2k
08-24-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Is there anyone on the Sox you like?

The good players. And most of their wives.

Dadawg_77
08-24-2003, 11:15 PM
The good players. And most of their wives.

And who are these mythical good players? Since it you love to bash the greatest hitter in Franchise history, I love to hear your idea of good players.

bc2k
08-24-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
And who are these mythical good players? Since it you love to bash the greatest hitter in Franchise history, I love to hear your idea of good players.

Just because I bashed Thomas in the past does not mean I don't like his 2003 performance. He is just one of the "mythical" good players I like. I also like the 2003 performances of: Esteban Loaiza, Mark Buehrle, Bartolo Colon, DaMaso Marte, Tom Gordon, Robbie and Sandy Alomar, Miguel Olivo, Tony Graffaninose, Aaron Rowand, Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee (and his defense), Carl Everett, Don Cooper, and D'Angelo Jimenez's hitting in the leadoff role.

I like these players since they all helped this 2003 team much more than they hurt it. These are winners. I am also impressed with the maturity of Garland and Harris's plate patience. So you see, there aren't many Sox players I don't like. It's just that the ones I don't like, I am quite vocal about.

jabrch
08-25-2003, 08:02 AM

I'd like Weaver to be on KC or Minnesota. He has a 5.80 ERA and hitters hit .316 off of him. The guy gets torched every time. He has given up 22 runs in his last 4 starts. If you would rather have Weaver on the Sox than Crede, you must be a Cubs fan or a Twins/KC fan.

Dadawg_77
08-25-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
I'd like Weaver to be on KC or Minnesota. He has a 5.80 ERA and hitters hit .316 off of him. The guy gets torched every time. He has given up 22 runs in his last 4 starts. If you would rather have Weaver on the Sox than Crede, you must be a Cubs fan or a Twins/KC fan.

I think a lot of Weaver's problem might be the New York effect on players coming from smaller market teams.

bc2k
08-25-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by jabrch

As Dadawg kind of said, I think New York hurt his success. At the most recent time the Sox tried to obtain Weaver, the Tigers wanted Crede specifically in exchange. At the time, Weaver was a great pitcher, and I believe would have continued that success in a White Sox uniform. And since I don't think much of Crede, that is why I wish the Sox made that trade.

Remember, Weaver was a starter thrown into NY's bullpen on arrival to NY which messed up his game. I see no reason why Weaver wouldn't have continued his Detroit success in Chicago.

jabrch
08-25-2003, 11:44 PM
Remember, Weaver was a starter thrown into NY's bullpen on arrival to NY which messed up his game. I see no reason why Weaver wouldn't have continued his Detroit success in Chicago.

Weaver was brought in to start. He lost the job...several times...

I don't buy the small market to NY thing. Weave just can't pitch effectively. He was 6-8 the year Detroit traded him. He was 13 - 16 the season before that. 11 -15 and 9 - 12 in his first two years...

Never was .500, never had 15 wins...only had one season with an ERA under 4.00...Kenny Williams was right not to give up a solid IF prospect for him.

After watching Crede recently, I like him more and more...