PDA

View Full Version : Frank the AL home run champ?

MRKARNO
08-24-2003, 01:57 AM
He's only 3 off A-Rod for the AL lead. I think a homer title might help his HOF chances and our chances of winning the AL central

TornLabrum
08-24-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
He's only 3 off A-Rod for the AL lead. I think a homer title might help his HOF chances and our chances of winning the AL central

The Sox go on the road next this with no batting cages behind dugouts to practice in. We all know Gen. Disarray won't play Frank at first, so let's hope that aluminum bat really, really helps.

TDog
08-24-2003, 02:07 AM
And the parks in New York and Detroit aren't particularly friendly to right-handed power hitters.

MRKARNO
08-24-2003, 02:14 AM
Well considering most of his homers are at home, I would expect him to hit a ton at home in order to pass up arod. Not all of our remaining away games are at those parks, only about 1/5

Bisco Stu
08-24-2003, 02:21 AM
I think he finishes 2nd to ARod. But his team will finish in 1st, and ARod will dwell in the cellar once again.

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 08:43 AM
It would be nice to see Frank win the home run title. But I'm concerned with what the Sox as a whole are doing. Right now, the only number that matters is "one," which signifies their lead over the Royals. They need to continue to win in order to put some distance between themselves and their pursuers.

gosox41
08-24-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Once Frank starts thinking about the HR title, it's going to mess up his swing just like in 2000. I already don't like the fact he's solely focusing on home runs, but I think going for the title will really get into his head. Hope I'm wrong.

Bob

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Once Frank starts thinking about the HR title, it's going to mess up his swing just like in 2000. I already don't like the fact he's solely focusing on home runs, but I think going for the title will really get into his head. Hope I'm wrong.

Bob

If Manuel would just put him at first base, the title would take care of itself. It's scary to think about what Frank's numbers might look like if Manuel had left him at first instead of DH'ing him again. He might have had a shot at sixty home runs. Yikes!

MRKARNO
08-24-2003, 10:48 AM
I'm all in favor of the new Frank. His homers have put us ahead early and won games for us as well. If you're 1 for 3 with a homer and a walk, how bad is that? Let him swing away until the homer swing is gone. As long as he can still get the clutch base hit with RISPs and a small lead

WinningUgly!
08-24-2003, 11:19 AM
I don't think Frank will be able to keep up with A-rod. That guy thrives in "garbage-time".

TornLabrum
08-24-2003, 12:10 PM
An interesting stat brought up by Julie Swieca this morning. Frank has hit seven homers on the road.

voodoochile
08-24-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
An interesting stat brought up by Julie Swieca this morning. Frank has hit seven homers on the road.

How many were while he was playing 1B? Just curious...

TornLabrum
08-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I don't know, but according to Julie, Frank has shown he can hit just as well at DH as he does at 1B. I guess she for got about that 2 for 13 (or whatever it was) stretch on the last road trip.

That's the nice thing about being a sportstalk host. You can have a short memory and the call screeners can eliminate anyone who calls to contradict you. (And no, I didn't try to call in. I've only tried once, over a year ago, and got on the air.)

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Actually, Frank has eight home runs on the road. Three of them have come during his time at first base. All three were during Interleague games (6/5 Arizona; 6/7 Los Angeles; 6/8 Los Angeles).

As I said yesterday, it's scray to imagine what Frank's numbers might like like if he were playing first base more often.

rcescato
08-24-2003, 01:11 PM
I am still a little leary about really getting jazzed up.
If this road trip proves a good one then I will really get excited.
As far as Frank goes, I hope he wins the HR title. I hope
he has the best month of his career. As he goes so does the Sox
offense.
Rich

TDog
08-27-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by TDog
And the parks in New York and Detroit aren't particularly friendly to right-handed power hitters.

Apparently I was wrong.

jabrch
08-27-2003, 12:31 PM
Who cares? Why are we worrying about individual stats right now? I want to see the team win. In order to do that, we don't need 55 HRs from Frank. We just need him to drive the ball. If it goes out of the park, great...if it is a double in the gap, great...If it is a 2 run scoring base hit, lovely....

HR Ttitle? I could hardly care less...

SoxFan76
08-27-2003, 02:06 PM
at first i was against the new approach by frank. i thought cubs fans would turn that around on us, because we always make fun of sosa for his home run approach. but then it dawned on me. frank still gets his walks. if there is a guy in scoring position, he will try to shoot the ball into right field. so hes getting on base, and hes driving guys in. so hes not a selfish, 1 dimensional home run hitting machine. hes a power guy who can still get the job done. so in that case, im all for franks new aproach, and i hope he does get that HR title.

Dadawg_77
08-27-2003, 02:56 PM
If he continues this next year, he'll be a middle class version of Barry Bonds.