PDA

View Full Version : E-Lo's next start determines Cy Young?


Bisco Stu
08-24-2003, 01:37 AM
Pitching in the Bronx, and as we all know, the Least Coast media bias will work in E-Lo's favor if he shuts down the Skanks.

I realize that even if ELo pitches a no-hitter and then proceeds to lose every remaining start, he won't win the CY.

But all other things being equal, a strong start in NY could make the difference in a tight vote with Halladay.

MRKARNO
08-24-2003, 01:49 AM
any writer who looks at more than wins will vote for loaiza, but maybe he'll finally get his due attention in the bronx

Procol Harum
08-24-2003, 09:59 AM
Astute point--while a loss--a well-pitched one--might not kill Loiaza's Cy Young hopes, a nicely-pitched win in Yankee Stadium could really tilt it in his favor. Let's face it , the NY media is the proverbial 800-lb gorilla when it comes to these sorts of honors and can make 'em and break 'em.

Thunderstruck30
08-24-2003, 10:42 PM
Isnt he going against Clemens?

oheeoh...magglio
08-24-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Isnt he going against Clemens?

yep, or at least he is according to whitesox.com

kermittheefrog
08-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Astute point--while a loss--a well-pitched one--might not kill Loiaza's Cy Young hopes, a nicely-pitched win in Yankee Stadium could really tilt it in his favor. Let's face it , the NY media is the proverbial 800-lb gorilla when it comes to these sorts of honors and can make 'em and break 'em.

Yeah nothing is bigger than the NY media when it's one beat writer per MLB team doing the voting. Pitching in New York will impress one, maybe two writers.

chisoxfanatic
08-24-2003, 11:41 PM
I'd be more concerned Hudson contending with Loaiza for the Cy Young award than anyone else. True, Hudson only has 12 wins, compared to Halladay's 17; however, ERA is a more telling statistic, as it says a lot about the composure of a pitcher. Halladay's ERA is nearly a complete run greater to that of Loaiza, while Hudson's ahead of Loaiza by about 1/5 of a run.
When all is said and done, if things go as they have been going, I think that Loaiza and Hudson will be the ones considered for the Cy Young award.

bc2k
08-25-2003, 12:29 AM
I've been following this for about a month and have decided that as long as the pitchers with lower eras than Loaiza have fewer wins, Loaiza will win the Cy.

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
I've been following this for about a month and have decided that as long as the pitchers with lower eras than Loaiza have fewer wins, Loaiza will win the Cy.

I agree, since the pitchers with lower ERAs than Loaiza don't have a CONSIDERABLY better ERA...Loaiza's right up there with them.

bc2k
08-25-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic
I agree, since the pitchers with lower ERAs than Loaiza don't have a CONSIDERABLY better ERA...Loaiza's right up there with them.

Great point with the "CONSIDERABLY" part. I had that thought in my head but didn't transfer it to my post. Also, I'm sure leading his team to a division title will help his resume for the Cy award.

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Great point with the "CONSIDERABLY" part. I had that thought in my head but didn't transfer it to my post. Also, I'm sure leading his team to a division title will help his resume for the Cy award.

Which brings up the question of who do you throw out in a Game 1 situation: Colon, who's had tons of playoff experience, or Loaiza, who has had an outstanding year to this point.

I'd probably go with Loaiza, since it seems as if NOTHING will faze him...But I'm sure that some would think Colon would be the better option.

Procol Harum
08-25-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Yeah nothing is bigger than the NY media when it's one beat writer per MLB team doing the voting. Pitching in New York will impress one, maybe two writers.

Don't kid yourself--these honors have a lot to do with buzz, and the buzz largely emanates from NYC. This is a case where 1 + 1 does not equal 2. The media stir created by NY attention has a way of filtering down to the scribes in Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee and Tampa.

voodoochile
08-25-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Don't kid yourself--these honors have a lot to do with buzz, and the buzz largely emanates from NYC. This is a case where 1 + 1 does not equal 2. The media stir created by NY attention has a way of filtering down to the scribes in Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee and Tampa.

Indeed. It can have a big effect in citys like Tampa where they never got to see the Sox play live and the team has no Cy Young candidate.

D'Angelo F Death
08-25-2003, 11:29 AM
No viable Cy Young candidate? What about Jim Parque and his 11.94 ERA?

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by D'Angelo F Death
No viable Cy Young candidate? What about Jim Parque and his 11.94 ERA?

Why don't they just bring back Jamie Navarro...He'd immediately challenge ELo for the Cy Young award!

fquaye149
08-25-2003, 02:52 PM
era is infinity times more important that wins and losses, but it doesn't matter, cuz cy young voters primarily care about wins/losses. if halladay wins 22 with a 3.75 era and e-lo wins 18 or so with a 2.50 era it should be a slamdunk for loaiza but i wouldn't be surprised if they'd give it to halladay.

voodoochile
08-25-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
era is infinity times more important that wins and losses, but it doesn't matter, cuz cy young voters primarily care about wins/losses. if halladay wins 22 with a 3.75 era and e-lo wins 18 or so with a 2.50 era it should be a slamdunk for loaiza but i wouldn't be surprised if they'd give it to halladay.

If Loaiza only gets 2 wins in these final 7 or so starts than the Sox are screwed anyway and winning the Cy Young will be secondary to both ELo and the fans, IMO.

Nick@Nite
08-26-2003, 11:22 PM
:eloaiza:
17 Wins 6 Losses
:boston
Today, Loaiza my AL Cy Young"
ESPN SportsCenter, 10:00 P.M. (approximate)
:KW
"Thanks Pete... now stop dreaming about Maggs!"