PDA

View Full Version : First time since 1908...

Bisco Stu
08-24-2003, 12:04 AM
Sox and Flubs have both been this close to first this late in the season.

Of course, that's not a good omen for Sox fans.

TornLabrum
08-24-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Sox and Flubs have both been this close to first this late in the season.

Of course, that's not a good omen for Sox fans.

Nope. It certainly isn't. The Cubs won the pennant by one game with the replay of the Merkle game and Doc White got creamed by the Tigers and was relieved by Ed Walsh (pitching on 1-day's rest) after just 1/3 inning. The Tigers won the pennant, and the Sox finished 1.5 games out.

The reason White pitched was because Walsh looked tired warming up and Fielder Jones was angry with Frank Smith, who had a better record against the Tigers and who was more rested than White, because Smith had jumped the club in July and had also had drinking problems and had missed several practices.

Sox managers have this history of cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

TDog
08-24-2003, 01:19 AM
1908 was the year "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" was written. There were only 46 states. The great Indian chief Geronimo was still alive.

Sometimes I forget just how futile my baseball heritage is.

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Sox managers have this history of cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

:jerry

"I tried cutting my nose off once. Blood went everywhere, and I slipped and hit my head."

:hurt

"That explains why you're so stupid."

Dan H
08-24-2003, 10:14 AM
I don't believe in omens or bad luck. The only team that can stop the White Sox is the White Sox. They will win if the offense doesn't go into some mind numbing slump and if they don't run the bases like little leaguers. And remember Ron Rapoport said Jerry Manuel has been vindicated.

It is unfortunate that the Cubs are still in it, but Houston and St. Louis are so pathetic, so I don't see how the Flubbies will just go away. We can only hope that the Astros and Cardinals somehow get their act together. October wouldn't be October if the Cubs were in the playoffs.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
....It is unfortunate that the Cubs are still in it, but Houston and St. Louis are so pathetic, so I don't see how the Flubbies will just go away. We can only hope that the Astros and Cardinals somehow get their act together. October wouldn't be October if the Cubs were in the playoffs.

Yes, especially since our White Sox will be reduced to being the "other" team in the playoffs. Isn't six months long enough for playing second fiddle to those nimrods?

:lynch&mcfail
"WHEEEEE! We're in the playoffs! Let's get special patches made up for the occasion! WHEEEEE!"

:ohno
"I bet they still have their supply from the 1998 wild card 'championship'."

ode to veeck
08-24-2003, 01:44 PM
on the other hand, my dream of a PERFECT White Sox season would be none other than drubbing the Cubbies in the WS

fquaye149
08-25-2003, 08:30 AM
who's gonna be the fred merkle for the s.f. giants? grissom?

and is tony womack gonna play the role of johnny evers?

if that happens, i suppose i could support it