PDA

View Full Version : Looking Ahead: Roster Expansion

RKMeibalane
08-23-2003, 05:14 PM
September is almost here, and that means it's time to start thinking about expanding the rosters. For most teams, this marks a time of excitment and intrigue, because people are able to get a glimpse of their favorite team's future, without watching their team's present be jeopardized.

The Chicago White Sox are not most teams, and Jerry Manuel is not most managers. Considering Manuel's history of lineup juggling and screwy personel moves, the thought of him having extra players around makes my stomach turn.

The question is, what will Jerry Manuel do once the rosters expand? Who will he have up here to use?

The chances are good that we will see several of the following players up here:

1. Joe Borchard
2. Jamie Burke
3. Jon Rauch
4. Matt Ginter
5. Jose Paniaqua

Then there are several others who may receive consideration, but their promotions are by no means certain. Some may held over until next spring, when the organization can take a longer look at them.

1. Jeremy Reed
2. Corwin Malone

The other issue to consider here is that the Sox are in first place, and they have an excellent chance to make the playoffs. It is obvious that the most experienced players must be on the field the majority of the time. At least that's what everyone here would agree on. Whether Jerry Manuel is thinking along the same lines as rest of the world remains to be seen.

I know one thing, though. I do not want to see a lineup like this used when the Sox face off against the Yankees or Red Sox:

SS- Graffanino
2B- Alomar
DH- Lee
1B- Konerko
LF- Daubach
3B- Crede
RF- Borchard
CF- Rowand
C- Burke

jcw218
08-23-2003, 05:27 PM
Just because teams are allowed to expand rosters up to the 40 man limit, doesn't mean that they will. In order for a player to get a September call-up he needs to be on the 40 man roster. With that said I feel that there will be minimal additions. I see the following:

Position:
Burke
Borchard

Pitching:
Rauch
Stewart
Sanders
Possibly Paniagua

MRKARNO
08-23-2003, 06:04 PM
Wouldnt it be great if they promoted Reed and sent down the pinch runner (Harris) in time for the playoff rosters to be set? I'd take the chance, considering that Harris isnt gonna be playing much in the playoffs and if Reed is the real deal, platoon him somewhere. Unless the organization wants to slowly develop him, good hitters should be called up in a situation like that. Pujols was called up pretty quickly and he is gonna be one of the best hitters in the game barring injury most likely.

jcw218
08-23-2003, 06:25 PM
That would require the Sox purchasing the contract of Reed and adding him to the 40 man roster. Since the roster is currently at the 40 man limit, that would require the Sox to release someone.

soxwon
08-23-2003, 06:42 PM
jose paniagua HAS NOT signed with us yet, hes pitching in south america.
it seems some folks think hes ours, hes not YET.

spanishwhite
08-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Paniagua hasnt signed and Stewart is on the DL.

Jurr
08-23-2003, 09:22 PM
I've already got the scoop on it....we're adding three guys to the roster..I can't believe y'all haven't heard! you call yourselves fans!

:hawk
I looooooove big breas.....I mean playing baseball.

:DJ
I had a good series one time......one time.........uhhh ET phone home.

:bandance:
Pick me! Pick me! Pick me!

MHOUSE
08-24-2003, 12:56 AM
I'd like to see Burke up as well as Ginter and Sanders. They can eat the odd inning here and there to rest the main guys in the BP. I wouldn't mess with the rotation or lineup too much just to get rookies some PT. We're in a race, not showcasing next year 10 games out. Play it safe.

inta
08-24-2003, 03:57 AM
i would really love to see rauch bring some of that magic that has been hyped for some many years in the sox' farm system but has never actually materialized.

position-wise we're fine. i dont agree with manuels everyday lineups so much in the 1b-dh area, but we all know that's not going to change.
pitching wise, we could really use one of these young guns to step up and provide the mighty 4 with some relief. if not, well plan b isn't so bad, but if a 5th starter is found to give our guys an extra day, so much the better.

gosox41
08-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
September is almost here, and that means it's time to start thinking about expanding the rosters. For most teams, this marks a time of excitment and intrigue, because people are able to get a glimpse of their favorite team's future, without watching their team's present be jeopardized.

The Chicago White Sox are not most teams, and Jerry Manuel is not most managers. Considering Manuel's history of lineup juggling and screwy personel moves, the thought of him having extra players around makes my stomach turn.

The question is, what will Jerry Manuel do once the rosters expand? Who will he have up here to use?

The chances are good that we will see several of the following players up here:

1. Joe Borchard
2. Jamie Burke
3. Jon Rauch
4. Matt Ginter
5. Jose Paniaqua

Then there are several others who may receive consideration, but their promotions are by no means certain. Some may held over until next spring, when the organization can take a longer look at them.

1. Jeremy Reed
2. Corwin Malone

The other issue to consider here is that the Sox are in first place, and they have an excellent chance to make the playoffs. It is obvious that the most experienced players must be on the field the majority of the time. At least that's what everyone here would agree on. Whether Jerry Manuel is thinking along the same lines as rest of the world remains to be seen.

I know one thing, though. I do not want to see a lineup like this used when the Sox face off against the Yankees or Red Sox:

SS- Graffanino
2B- Alomar
DH- Lee
1B- Konerko
LF- Daubach
3B- Crede
RF- Borchard
CF- Rowand
C- Burke

In today's Trib. Manuel said they may only call on one position player (and some pitching) because he said he's having to hard of a time finding at bats for Rowand and Harris right now. Manuel mentioned the needfor a catcher.

Bob

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
In today's Trib. Manuel said they may only call on one position player (and some pitching) because he said he's having to hard of a time finding at bats for Rowand and Harris right now. Manuel mentioned the needfor a catcher.

Bob

Why is he so concerned with getting Willie Harris at-bats? I can understand the need to occasionally use his bench players, but I will never understand his obsession with making sure that "everyone plays." At this point, the Sox can't afford to have any of their regulars out of the lineup. Whenever Manuel has a relapse with his tinkering, the team has a bad game, and that's something that needs to be minimized if they want to make the postseason.

Shoeless Joe
08-24-2003, 08:38 AM
I really see no need to get some more position players except for maybe another catcher like Burke. On the pitching side I expect to see more than a couple of pitchers being called up. You need to rest our "starting four" as much as you can IF we make it to the playoffs. Plus we could possibly catch lightning in a bottle for the 5th spot. Although, Neal Cotts is looking pretty good so far.

TornLabrum
08-24-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Why is he so concerned with getting Willie Harris at-bats? I can understand the need to occasionally use his bench players, but I will never understand his obsession with making sure that "everyone plays." At this point, the Sox can't afford to have any of their regulars out of the lineup. Whenever Manuel has a relapse with his tinkering, the team has a bad game, and that's something that needs to be minimized if they want to make the postseason.

As far as I'm concerned, the less Willie Harris has a bat in his hands, the better.

jeremyb1
08-24-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

That may be true for now but if we get into a situation at any point down the road where we've clinched with any games left in the season you're going to want to get some experience for some of your prospects and even more importantly, rest your players some for the playoffs.

TornLabrum
08-24-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
That may be true for now but if we get into a situation at any point down the road where we've clinched with any games left in the season you're going to want to get some experience for some of your prospects and even more importantly, rest your players some for the playoffs.

Maybe two weeks' rest!

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Maybe two weeks' rest!

I hope Jerry Manuel doesn't do that again. In 2000, he rested the starters for a week leading up to the playoffs, and disaster followed. Sox hitters must be on top of things in the postseason, because they're going to be facing tough pitchers no matter who they play.