PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Bonds RIP

dickallen15
08-23-2003, 02:11 PM
Bobby Bonds died today. He spend a little time with the White Sox, he was the 1978 answer to the rent a player that was so successful in 1977. When it wasn't working out in 1978 he was traded to Texas for Claudell Washington.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-23-2003, 03:14 PM
I remember when Veeck traded for Bonds. This was after the near-glorious '77 Hitmen season. Zisk and Gamble were both rent-a-players who nearly brought the Sox some glory, but were now leaving via free agency because Veeck--as always--had no money to pay them what they were worth. Veeck traded Brian Downing, Chris Knapp and Dave Frost to California for Bonds, Thad Bosley and a minor league pitcher named Rich Dotson.

By trading for Bonds, Veeck was trying to catch lightning in a bottle for a second consecutive season. It didn't work. By 1979 the team's fortunes were in a complete free-fall, Veeck was looking to sell the Sox to Denver interests (they would have played inside Mile High Stadium), and Steve Dahl was holding an embarrassing "Disco Sucks" rally that ended up costing the Sox a forfeit. As Steve Dahl himself noted back then, "Hey, it was the Sox. They would have lost anyway." Who can argue?

The beginning of the end for Veeck's second run as Sox owner was trading for Bobby Bonds. Once upon a time he was a great ballplayer, but Sox Fans never saw it up close.

:veeck
"Hey, don't forget what I said about Dave Winfield, that .230 hitting rum drum!"

doogiec
08-23-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the reminder on what a depressing season 1978 was for Sox fans. Bobby Bonds (and Claudell for that part) was a big reason for the depression.

Going into that season from 1977 I really was convinced that Veeck had some sort of magic that could make the Sox competitive, but it was obvious by the end of that season that his ownership would be disastrous.

While I don't agree with Reinsdorf in many ways, I can't argue with the fact that he purchased an organization that was near death on and off the field and at least brought it some stability and respect. I don't think a lot of owners could have pulled that off. And I don't think a lot of Sox fans realize that, or give Reinsdorf any credit for that.

TornLabrum
08-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I remember when Veeck traded for Bonds. This was after the near-glorious '77 Hitmen season. Zisk and Gamble were both rent-a-players who nearly brought the Sox some glory, but were now leaving via free agency because Veeck--as always--had no money to pay them what they were worth. Veeck traded Brian Downing, Chris Knapp and Dave Frost to California for Bonds, Thad Bosley and a minor league pitcher named Rich Dotson.

By trading for Bonds, Veeck was trying to catch lightning in a bottle for a second consecutive season. It didn't work. By 1979 the team's fortunes were in a complete free-fall, Veeck was looking to sell the Sox to Denver interests (they would have played inside Mile High Stadium), and Steve Dahl was holding an embarrassing "Disco Sucks" rally that ended up costing the Sox a forfeit. As Steve Dahl himself noted back then, "Hey, it was the Sox. They would have lost anyway." Who can argue?

The beginning of the end for Veeck's second run as Sox owner was trading for Bobby Bonds. Once upon a time he was a great ballplayer, but Sox Fans never saw it up close.

:veeck
"Hey, don't forget what I said about Dave Winfield, that .230 hitting rum drum!"

A guy by the name of Ron Blomberg helped neutralize any lightning that might have struck that year, too. We mustn't forget him.

RIP Bobby.

Dan H
08-23-2003, 05:13 PM
Bonds actually hit 30 homers in 1978, though most were not with the White Sox. He was still a great player but not he alone could have saved the Sox in 1978.

I am convinced that Bill Veeck was a great man who contributed a great deal to baseball. But I am also convinced that time passed him by in the late '70's. Trying to revive the go-go Sox and get by on promotions didn't cut it. But he still gave us 1977 which was truly one of the team's greatest seaons. But then again he also gave us Claudell, Kevin Bell, Greg Pryor, Wayne Nordhagen and the rusty Ron Bloomberg. Reinsdorf does deserve credit for reviving the franchise. He also deserves credit for tearing it down again.

GoSox2K3
08-23-2003, 05:22 PM
Didn't the Sox trade away Bonds only a couple of months into the '78 season? I seem to remember them trading Bonds for that future Hall of Famer - Pablo Torrealba(?).

I was only 10 at the time, so I didn't know or don't remember the details of what happened. But, why did the Sox unload Bonds so quickly? He did end up having 29 or 30 homers that season - most of them with Texas.

Lip Man 1
08-23-2003, 11:09 PM
Go Sox 2k3:

Ask and ye shall receive:

1978 Season (Final Record: 71-90 5th Place)

OK, I grant you this is a stretch. The only reason I put it in this story is because a few Sox "optimists," and more importantly Bill Veeck thought the Sox could catch lightning in a bottle again. Coming off the 1977 Southside Hit Men season Veeck was not able (or willing) to spend what it took to resign Richie Zisk and Oscar Gamble. Many Sox fans felt that gutted the team but Veeck was made of sterner stuff. He felt he could "rent a player" one more time and made a deal with the Angels to get home run hitting, base stealing Bobby Bonds. All he gave up was Brian Downing, Dave Frost and Chris Knapp. In short Veeck was robbed again. Veeck also signed free agent Ron Blomberg from the Yankees. Blomberg had missed most of the two previous years after severely hurting himself on the field.

The moves did little to help the Sox. With the club at an atrocious 9-20, Veeck unloaded Bonds to the Rangers for Rusty Torres and Claudell Washington (slept here).

The "magic" from 1977 was gone and the few Sox fans who felt players like Mike Pazik, Rich Hinton, Mike Eden and Ron Schueler could rekindle it got a harsh look at reality, at least on the South Side.

From my "Great Expectations" column.

Lip

RKMeibalane
08-23-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The "magic" from 1977 was gone and the few Sox fans who felt players like Mike Pazik, Rich Hinton, Mike Eden and Ron Schueler could rekindle it got a harsh look at reality, at least on the South Side.

Ron Schueler? LOL! Was his daughter on the team, too?

Thunderstruck30
08-24-2003, 12:13 AM
I didnt realize Bobby was that young. Only 57 with a 39 year old son.

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
I didnt realize Bobby was that young. Only 57 with a 39 year old son.

Yes, it's extremely sad that he died at that age. I'm only twenty (almost twenty one), and I have parents who are older than that, as do several of my friends. My heart goes out to the Bonds family for their loss.

Barry was actually around for much of his father's career. In fact, it was during Bobby's years with the Yankees that Barry learned how to hit while choking up on the bat handle. He said that when he went to Yankees games, they often sold sourvenir bats. These bats were fairly large, and young Barry couldn't swing them unless he choked up, so that's what he did, and it became a habit.

Reichardt
08-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
Didn't the Sox trade away Bonds only a couple of months into the '78 season? I seem to remember them trading Bonds for that future Hall of Famer - Pablo Torrealba(?).

I was only 10 at the time, so I didn't know or don't remember the details of what happened. But, why did the Sox unload Bonds so quickly? He did end up having 29 or 30 homers that season - most of them with Texas.

At the end of spring training the Sox traded Jim Essian to the A's for Torrealba. That left them with the catching combo of Wayne Nordhagen and Bill Nahorodny. :(:

Lip Man 1
08-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Did anybody else notice this. Last night on WGN Hawk did an "obit" piece on Bonds.

The piece had television video of Bonds hitting a HR off Wood at Comiskey in 75, a home run off a Sox pitcher in Anaheim in 76 and Bonds' only White Sox HR at Toronto in 78.

Somebody has an awful lot of historical Sox TV video that is being kept under wraps.

Lip

rmusacch
08-24-2003, 06:52 PM
Did anybody else notice this. Last night on WGN Hawk did an "obit" piece on Bonds.

The piece had television video of Bonds hitting a HR off Wood at Comiskey in 75, a home run off a Sox pitcher in Anaheim in 76 and Bonds' only White Sox HR at Toronto in 78.

Somebody has an awful lot of historical Sox TV video that is being kept under wraps.

Lip

It seems that they have been doing a lot of flashbacks this season. I like it.

doogiec
08-24-2003, 10:32 PM

Lip

I don't know that this is 100 percent accurate, but I heard years ago that Channel 44 failed to keep copies of Sox games more than one or two weeks after they were played, as they were able to reuse the tapes and save money. Most of what is available from the Channel 44 era is actually tapes of the local nightly newscast, which used footage provided by 44. Therefore only highlights exist, not entire games.

duke of dorwood
08-24-2003, 10:43 PM
Regarding Bobby Bonds, I remember sitting betw 3rd and the plate at a game he was on our team. I never saw a guy get a hit and hit the turn around first better than that.

LuvSox
08-24-2003, 10:48 PM
I may be wrong, but It seems that Joe Morgan & Jon Miller finally got around to talking about Bonds in the 9th inning of the Sunday night game. They have been fawning over the Red Sux and their history of losing for the other 8 innings. (Vomit)

Hangar18
08-25-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by doogiec
I don't know that this is 100 percent accurate, but I heard years ago that Channel 44 failed to keep copies of Sox games more than one or two weeks after they were played, as they were able to reuse the tapes and save money. Most of what is available from the Channel 44 era is actually tapes of the local nightly newscast, which used footage provided by 44. Therefore only highlights exist, not entire games.

Another example of "Stupid TV Station Moves"